Africa And The Crusades

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Ok. So you do or don't study the Crusades in American schools? :dwillhuh:

Curriculum differs state to state. I took all AP and only remember reading a book on the Templars and watching stuff like Ivanhoe. Is it unbelievable white folks aren't going in depth about a Kurd living in Africa fighting battles outside Europe?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Stop what? You don't study the Crusades or European/Middle Eastern History in American schools?
Naw. The World History they teach you in school in the U.S. is a joke. I've learned more about World History from The Coli/Internet, watching movies/documentaries/TV shows/YouTube, & reading books than what I learned in school.

Last edited:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Curriculum differs state to state. I took all AP and only remember reading a book on the Templars and watching stuff like Ivanhoe. Is it unbelievable white folks aren't going in depth about a Kurd living in Africa fighting battles outside Europe?

If you study the Crusades, you study Saladin. The two are inseparable.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Ethiopia:

During Late Antiquity, Christian Ethiopia had been a major power in Red Sea geopolitics, clashing with the Jewish South Arabian kingdom of Himyar as part of the power struggle between the Byzantine and Sasanian Persian empires (a fascinating story which is told in G.W. Bowersock’s book The Throne of Adulis). Though connections with western Europe were understandably tenuous, especially after the rise of Islam, Ethiopia was never isolated from the world. When the Crusades brought medieval Europeans back into the Middle East in force, Ethiopia became a potential Christian ally against the Islamic powers positioned between them.
Unlike the Aksumites, the Zagwe were very isolated from the other Christian Nations, although they did maintain a degree of contact through Jerusalem and Cairo. Like many other nations and denominations, the Ethiopian Church maintained a series of small chapels and even an annex at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.[32] Saladin, after retaking the Holy City in 1187, expressly invited the Ethiopian monks to return and even exempted Ethiopian pilgrims from the pilgrim tax. His two edicts provide evidence of Ethiopia's contact with these Crusader States during this period.[33] It was during this period that the Ethiopian king Gebre Mesqel Lalibela ordered the construction of the legendary rock-hewn churches of Lalibela.

Later, as the Crusades were dying out in the early fourteenth century, the Ethiopian King Wedem Arad dispatched a thirty-man mission to Europe, where they traveled to Rome to meet the Pope and then, since the Medieval Papacy was in schism, they traveled to Avignon to meet the Antipope. During this trip, the Ethiopian mission also traveled to France, Spain and Portugal in the hopes of building an alliance against the Muslim states then threatening Ethiopia's existence. Plans were even drawn up of a two-pronged invasion of Egypt with the French King, but nothing ever came of the talks, although this brought Ethiopia back to Europe's attention, leading to expansion of European influence when the Portuguese explorers reached the Indian Ocean.[34]
The crusaders had negotiated with the Fatimids of Egypt during their march to Jerusalem, but no satisfactory compromise could be reached — the Fatimids were willing to give up control of Syria but not the lower Levant, but this was unacceptable to the crusaders, whose goal was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Jerusalem was captured from the Fatimids on July 15, 1099, after a long siege, and immediately the crusaders learned that a Fatimid army was on its way to besiege them.

The Fatimids were led by vizier al-Afdal Shahanshah, who commanded perhaps as many as 50,000 troops (other estimates range from 20–30,000 to the exaggerated 200,000 of the Gesta Francorum). His army consisted of Seljuk Turks, Arabs, Persians, Armenians, Kurds, and Ethiopians.

According to most accounts (both Crusader and Muslim), the Fatimids were caught unprepared and the battle was short, but Albert of Aix states that the battle went on for some time with a fairly well prepared Egyptian army. The two main lines of battle fought each other with arrows until they were close enough to fight hand-to-hand with spears and other hand weapons. The Ethiopians attacked the centre of the crusader line, and the Fatimid vanguard was able to outflank the crusaders and surround their rearguard, until Godfrey arrived to rescue them.

x6S1AHi.jpg

qwIOcNX.jpg

Somalia:

Yqgdf7k.jpg

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
This thread is amazing. @Poitier I'm a history buff but never knew there was crusades into Africa and the moorish connection. This is what I'm saying African history is just as intriguing as European and Asian.
Also @Diasporan Royalty imma check out more of your threads. Keep up the good work. This is the root I like.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Fat thread. All sorts of shyt I didn't know. OP getting repped.

Crusades were one of those battles where there wasn't really anyone to cape for on either side. All dem all were just looking to expand their territories and control at the expense of others.

But I can't believe you didn't know who Saladin was. :lolbron:

I didn't learn anything whatsoever about world history in school. It was useless. I learned who Saladin was first from watching Kingdom of Heaven, then actually learned about him by reading Muslim history on my own. Noble guy for a leader, but still just basically just wanted power and control.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
The Horn in general. I feel like you as an AA can show in a non bias way true history of the Horn.
You and the rest of the Coli Somalis are the cool Somalis. I don't know about the rest online.:no: Was getting into some heated as shyt fest on another site. :pachaha:

Anyways I'll see what I can do with the thread but you and @Karbaash gonna have to help me.