Africa And The Crusades

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
So is it a "dangerous assumption" when people call any Black Person in Europe (i.e maybe portrayed in paintings and such) during those times "Moor"?

Where I`m going with this is would Europeans or whoever have called Mansa Musa a "Moor"? Because today it seems we use the Moor term very solely.

Yes, but I think it was simply them misinterpreting foreigners.

Kind of how we think "illegal aliens" are Mexicans when most are actually Guatemalans and other Central Americans.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
Honestly though, why have I never heard of Saladin? This nikka basically bullied the entire world and played a key role in the Maghreb we have today :mindblown:

@Misreeya I see your people were eager to help out the Christian Crusaders tho but thats none of my business :mjpls:

Yup, Saladin is considered a Kurdish/Islamic hero. Was it he that went to war against Lionheart? Completely forgot.

Let me look through this book I have on Mali, perhaps I can find a deeper connection between them and their involvement in the Crusades

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
If anyone is interested in the crusades in general, here is a documentary that I watched a year or so ago. It's pretty informative, as far as documentaries go I suppose

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Yup, Saladin is considered a Kurdish/Islamic hero. Was it he that went to war against Lionheart? Completely forgot.

Let me look through this book I have on Mali, perhaps I can find a deeper connection between them and their involvement in the Crusades

Yeah I definitely want to see this.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Let me clarify, the Almoravids, Almohads and Fatimid Berbers were all Black Africans. As far as I know, there were no Arabs in the Maghreb after Banu Hilal which was an attempt by Bedouin sand dwellers to capture the territory.....they failed but the Berbers picked up Islam this way. I've seen sources saying the Almoravids/Almohads inhabited the mountains and the Sahara up until the fall of the Roman outpost in NA.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly though, why have I never heard of Saladin? This nikka basically bullied the entire world and played a key role in the Maghreb we have today :mindblown:

@Misreeya I see your people were eager to help out the Christian Crusaders tho but thats none of my business :mjpls:

How have you never heard of Saladin? He is one of the most famous historical characters in the world. Americans just don't care about anything outside of America.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
How have you never heard of Saladin? He is one of the most famous historical characters in the world. Americans just don't care about anything outside of America.

I've read a lot of history and been on history communities and have never seen him discussed:yeshrug:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

Saladin...I don't think he has ever been discussed in any of the Moor or Egypt threads on here and that time period seems to get skipped over on African history threads probably because of the heavy Arab influence.