Afghanistan Thread | Taliban Rule

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
How do you think your cousins will react to a Kamala Harris presidency.

Also anyone know the percentage of chance of Joe completing this term?
:russ:

They'll probably be overly enthusiastic about it to show how progressive they are.

But, I wasn't saying that to suggest Biden wont make it through his term...just that his position is an incredibly thankless one right now.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
and before we further stretch the framing here, i'm specifically talking about the decision to pull out of afghanistan - and i agree with it wholeheartedly for the record - but i've yet to see anyone make a reasonable or even a coherent argument as to why it made any sense at all to reduce our military strength and security presence *before* evacuating non essentials/civilians/etc. that is a screw up. i don't care who was in charge. it could've been jesus. they fukked up.

Withdrawal of United States troops from Afghanistan (2020–2021) - Wikipedia.

As part of the Doha Agreement, the Trump administration agreed to an initial reduction of US forces from 13,000 to 8,600 troops by July 2020, followed by a complete withdrawal by 1 May 2021, if the Taliban kept its commitments.[8] At the start of the Biden administration, there were 2,500 US soldiers in Afghanistan and in April Biden said the US would not begin withdrawing these soldiers before 1 May, but would complete the withdrawal by 11 September.[9][10] On 8 July, Biden specified a new completion date of 31 August.[11] Biden considered extending the withdrawal deadline beyond 31 August.[12]

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
?

how often do presidents go back and renegotiate, undo, or otherwise change plans and agreements made by previous presidents? its ridiculous and straight up disingenuous to act as if the idea is unprecedented. incoming presidents often campaign on the promise of walking back decisions made by the previous admin. when you take office, you inherit problems and hopefully bring better solutions. but here's a recognizable example i guess, if trump can throw a whole nuclear deal in the bushes - then biden should be able to throw his weight around a little better and not have to be on stage explaining why the taliban's deadline is in everyone's best interest.

so if you have a flood of reports saying shyt is about to hit the fan, literal taliban convoys rolling through strongholds, jailbreaks of former extremists, etc - you'd like to think that reacting to a changing situation at best/rapidly deteriorating one at worst will lead to some sort of initiative on the agenda. not getting on the podium to say x will never happen in response to directed questions on the topic only to watch it unfold as predicted.

and x soldiers = y force projected is oversimplified. one fortress of an airbase even running on skeleton crews vs zero fortress of an airbase is a gigantic difference.

im not even trying to convince people of how dumb all this is anymore. but if you guys want to know why some are going to feel differently than you on all this, i'll lay it out.
while all these statements sound nice, i'm not shocked at all that information from as near as jalalabad is drying up :unimpressed:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
how often do presidents go back and renegotiate, undo, or otherwise change plans and agreements made by previous presidents? its ridiculous and straight up disingenuous to act as if the idea is unprecedented. incoming presidents often campaign on the promise of walking back decisions made by the previous admin. when you take office, you inherit problems and hopefully bring better solutions. but here's a recognizable example i guess, if trump can throw a whole nuclear deal in the bushes - then biden should be able to throw his weight around a little better and not have to be on stage explaining why the taliban's deadline is in everyone's best interest.

You're speaking from hindsight and with some unrealistic expectations as well.

First off, the assumption here was that the Afghan military would still be in control of Kabul.

Once that situation deteriorated there really wasn't a time or a need to hold additional talks.

so if you have a flood of reports saying shyt is about to hit the fan, literal taliban convoys rolling through strongholds, jailbreaks of former extremists, etc - you'd like to think that reacting to a changing situation at best/rapidly deteriorating one at worst will lead to some sort of initiative on the agenda. not getting on the podium to say x will never happen in response to directed questions on the topic only to watch it unfold as predicted.

Do you lose more than 13 lives in your scenario? Do you achieve the primary goal of leaving Afghanistan?

I hate to be frank, but most Americans have moved on.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
?

and x soldiers = y force projected is oversimplified. one fortress of an airbase even running on skeleton crews vs zero fortress of an airbase is a gigantic difference.

im not even trying to convince people of how dumb all this is anymore. but if you guys want to know why some are going to feel differently than you on all this, i'll lay it out.

while all these statements sound nice, i'm not shocked at all that information from as near as jalalabad is drying up :unimpressed:
Changing domestic policy is one thing. Republicans in the Senate won’t start shooting Dems if they campaign on increasing refugees from Mexico.

The Taliban made a deal and so far were honoring it in not killing Americans. So if you just decide that “nah, f that” you likely end up with more than 14 dead marines when the fighting starts. We already have seen how hard it is to strike new deals with Iran after going against our other one.

We were just a stop gap measure. We were never willing to do what it took to nation build. Getting rid of the funding sources for these terrorist groups would have meant going into Pakistan for another war.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You're speaking from hindsight and with some unrealistic expectations as well.

First off, the assumption here was that the Afghan military would still be in control of Kabul.

Once that situation deteriorated there really wasn't a time or a need to hold additional talks.

Do you lose more than 13 lives in your scenario? Do you achieve the primary goal of leaving Afghanistan?

I hate to be frank, but most Americans have moved on.
There's no hindsight about it :dahell: Biden was ducking questions and joking while shyt was going off the rails for weeks.

Kabul University getting shot to shyt should've made what ANA control looked like abundantly clear. If you don't care, cool. "We did a bad job - but its the best we could do. lets move on" is bad logic.
Changing domestic policy is one thing. Republicans in the Senate won’t start shooting Dems if they campaign on increasing refugees from Mexico.

The Taliban made a deal and so far were honoring it in not killing Americans. So if you just decide that “nah, f that” you likely end up with more than 14 dead marines when the fighting starts. We already have seen how hard it is to strike new deals with Iran after going against our other one.

We were just a stop gap measure. We were never willing to do what it took to nation build. Getting rid of the funding sources for these terrorist groups would have meant going into Pakistan for another war.

We switch up on FP plenty. So I really can't call it a domestic situation only thing.

There's handing off control of provincial and overarching government and then there's literally telling Taliban to watch your back while you hold a clusterfukk of an evacuation with a massive bullseye on it.

The idea that this the best scenario and the only other is staying in Afghanistan indefinitely is wild to me. Civilians first, soldiers last is basic. Yal go on ahead tho :hubie:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
There's no hindsight about it :dahell: Biden was ducking questions and joking while shyt was going off the rails for weeks.

Kabul University getting shot to shyt should've made what ANA control looked like abundantly clear. If you don't care, cool. "We did a bad job - but its the best we could do. lets move on" is bad logic.
You're a vet and you seem to be struggling to view them from any different perspective.

Reversing course on the withdrawal and committing to a troop surge in Afghanistan while not passing infrastructure, increasing min wage, nor forgiving student loan debt would have Biden DOA.

It's unfortunate 13 troops lost their lives, but it really isn't more important than fixing stuff back home just to appease the war crowd.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
We switch up on FP plenty. So I really can't call it a domestic situation only thing.

That’s not what i said. I said there’s no threat of physical violence for domestic change of policy.

In foreign policy, there’s a threat to your military, foreign population, and business when you just pull a 180.

International shipping lines attacked by pirates cause you topple a foreign government. That’s not happening off the coast of California by Republicans.

There's handing off control of provincial and overarching government and then there's literally telling Taliban to watch your back while you hold a clusterfukk of an evacuation with a massive bullseye on it.

Where’s these safe hands to hand things off to?

Afghanistan was/is a bunch of regional warlords handling the their own territory.

A fully functional overarching government was what we were supposed to have spend billions making.

So why are we acting incredulous that a bunch of warlords took over our shambling government infrastructure?

The idea that this the best scenario and the only other is staying in Afghanistan indefinitely is wild to me. Civilians first, soldiers last is basic. Yal go on ahead tho :hubie:
Who said this? A fully free Afghanistan is the best case scenario. Anything else is a failure.

Did we go over there to build an American colony?

Did we just want a base further in the ME?

Cause none of that is what people were sold on.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Uncle Joe really sittin at home like :smugbiden:I wish a nikka would

don’t let me find out Scranton Joe is the type of nikka hoping a nikka bump into him so he can start a fight
He asked to leave nicely, they left him no choice :smugbiden:

One of the soldiers parents said Biden failed his son.. that they sent him over there to be a paper pusher and how Biden turned his back on the troops…

I understand that parent is grieving but act like Joe’s own son who served didn’t die due to the effects of war brehs… That parent can’t come at Biden like that and no realize Joe understands exactly what he’s going through :francis: