Affirmative action is now banned

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The whole ruling is interesting. If colleges now base admissions on academics America as a whole is fycked. It's been said for decades countries around the world have a higher curriculum. It's going to be interesting when whites start noticing their kids are not competing against foreign students.

They're not forcing them to base it on academics. They're ONLY saying that they can't use race. They can still use legacy admissions, donor admissions, "special consideration" cause a booster or a politician wrote to the school on a particular student's behalf, etc. And they can also cap international student admissions as much as they want.

We can use this case as precedent to show that they're hypocrites. But legally, it doesn't do jack shyt EXCEPT keep a lot of Black and Brown folk out of colleges.

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
No, it won't affect "both demos". The ONLY thing the court ruled on was that you can't use race in the college admissions process. The ruling has no negative impact on white women whatsoever.
oh i see. thanks for the clarity.

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
You're reading the case completely wrong. Technically, I think this might mean HBCU's no longer have any ability to prefer Black students over other students. I don't know if there's some sort of exception carved out or not, but from the basic language of the decision this would fukk over Black students at HCBU's too.
WOW. that's sickening. so basically repealing laws meant to make society more equitable. now the whites in America have their advantage codified in law again. sheeesh.

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
Except Dems LET republicans not push through Obama nomination just like they let the senate parliamentarian (who?) not let them do minimum wage increase , they always got an excuse

You want to see what a dem majority looks like look at California , no big bad republicans and they still don’t do shyt

Y’all would’ve had to keep voting in Dems indefinitely even though they do nothing , not to codify anything but just so the SC doesn’t overturn things , that’s a fukkin moronic strategy not to mention. Even a liberal court was still gonna pass all these corporate takeover laws anyway

But go rush to vote for Biden again , I’m sure the country will improve the next day 🤣
Uh, no.

Dems were powerless in the Garland situation because Republicans controlled the Senate. Therefore they decided what nominations got accepted and voted on.

Obama could have tried to appoint Garland via recess appointment if the Senate was on recess, but that would have only been temporary and would have expired at the end of the next Congress cycle two years later. Then the Republicans would have simply got someone else since they still had control of the Senate during Trump's Presidency.

Your claim that states with Dem majorities in Congress and the Governship don't do anything beneficial just isn't true.

Example a)In New York, the Governor have given anyone in a patient facing position in health care a bonus of up to $3000 based on hours worked. The program rolled out last summer, was back dated to 2021 and goes to 2024 through 5 qualifying cycles. This was based on money in the budget that passed in the Dem majority in the state Congress. I work in HR in a state wide hospital and have been involved in this directly. Its been a blessing for people.

Example b)Minnesota Dems just got control of Congress in the 2022 election and they have a Dem Governor. This year they passed the following laws: Free lunch for all public and charter school students. Paid Family Medical Leave, legalization of weed, codification of Roe vs Wade into law to protect abortion rights,

Example c)Michigan Dems just got total control of Congress in the 2022 election for the 1st time in 40 years. Big Gretch is the Dem Governor and they've done the following things: Repealing the right to work law from Republicans from 2012, which is seen as a pro-union and workers rights move, signed a prevailing wage law that says contractors hired for state projects gotta pay union level wages, repealed Michigan's 1931 abortion ban, signed law expanding the state earned income tax credit, background checks and red flag laws on guns, and like Minnesota they just passed money in the budget to provide free school lunches to public school students K to 12th grade.

I dont really pay much attention to Cali but I'm sure I could find things that negate your argument.

Meanwhile a$$holes in North Dakota Congress repealed free school lunches while giving all state employees, including themselves an increase in money they get for food.

You're just screaming stuff into the air with zero understanding of policy or procedure. Nor do you pay attention to anything. There is nothing wrong with criticizing Dems. There is plenty to critique them for. The problem is many of you are not accurate or rational about it.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
They're not forcing them to base it on academics. They're ONLY saying that they can't use race. They can still use legacy admissions, donor admissions, "special consideration" cause a booster or a politician wrote to the school on a particular student's behalf, etc. And they can also cap international student admissions as much as they want.

We can use this case as precedent to show that they're hypocrites. But legally, it doesn't do jack shyt EXCEPT keep a lot of Black and Brown folk out of colleges.
That's fair but why would they cap international student admissions? They are paying out of state rates upfront. The notion of the lawsuit by the asains group stated they were discriminated because they were rejected when they displayed a higher level of academic achievements. They are trying to make admissions based on academics and I believe schools will act accordingly and justify it with the ruling.

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
After doing research.. it seems to only be banned in colleges

Anybody actually informed and did thorough research instead of dap fishing?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That's fair but why would they cap international student admissions? They are paying out of state rates upfront. The notion of the lawsuit by the asains group stated they were discriminated because they were rejected when they displayed a higher level of academic achievements. They are trying to make admissions based on academics and I believe schools will act accordingly and justify it with the ruling.

Public universities have to cap international admissions because they are funded by taxpayers. The University of California system doesn't have affirmative action, but they still mandate at least 80% of students come from in-state and no more than 8% come from international.

Private universities don't differentiate between in-state and out-of-state rates, so everyone pays the same tuition. They might be less likely to admit international students with financial need because those students don't qualify for federal grants or loans, so they don't line the university pockets the same way even low-income US citizens do.

Also, this is just a guess, but I would get that international graduates are less likely to become big alum donors after graduating. They're probably more likely to fund ego projects in their home country than fund their foreign alma mater that most of their peers will never see. Of course there are exceptions, but I wouldn't be surprised if less alumni giving from international graduates is a statistical trend.