Actors who never really capitalised on their blockbuster success

Daps
Reppin
Cashville, 10
Dude is still working, but he was lead in 2 hood classics with Fresh & The Wood.

EazVjmAWoAA_AVJ.jpg

This guy is just not a great actor, but I thought the success of Menace would have lead to more roles.

92be146210a65d7c8fd853149cbd2747_xl.jpg

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
He was everywhere for like 3-4 years after that. I definitely disagree.

Honestly...and I'll probably get some push back.

Jamie Foxx should be bigger. Had one of the best Oscar portrayals of all time, and is arguably the most talented man in Hollywood, and still can pass as someone in his mid-late 30's. He chooses bad movies, movies with no real blockbuster potential or ends up as the costar in a movie he's more talented and notable than the people who are the leads in that movie.

Jamie will never get his props as an all around entertainer

And as of 2024 he’s miles ahead of Denzel and Will

Jamie Foxx and Wayne Brady (among many Black talents) are CRIMINALLY UNDERRRATED

Foxx, in particular, should be bigger than Will Smith, imo.

Can't agree with this
I always want to put Jamie up there with Will and Denzel but he just doesn't measure up. Ray and Django are probably his 2 biggest movies. Outside of those, he hasn't really shook up the cinematic world. He's arguably the most talented man Hollywood has ever seen but he hasn't even remotely capitalized on that talent. By now you expect his filmography to be on some Will/Leo shyt but idk man.

Any Given Sunday was good
Collateral was straight
Dreamgirls was good
White House Down was okay
Law Abiding Citizen was cool

These are just his biggest starring roles off the top of my head. I guess I wish he had more blockbuster/career defining roles. His Netflix stuff is good too but not career defining. I'm disappointed in his acting career.

Denzel got Malcolm X/Training Day
Will Smith honestly is just in another category. I don't think any actor white or black can match up with him so I think it's wrong to compare Jamie to him. But Jamie is way more talented.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
He was supposed to be in Gone Girl but scheduling conflicts with Mad Men kept him out of it. The creator/writer of MM wouldn't let him get the time, he was pissed.

Too late for that with the current direction.

This is my biggest one. He turned down the roles of Batman, Spiderman, and Superman to do shytty movies that didn't make any money. He wanted to do the Prestige but Nolan went with Bale, who he had picked as Batman.
I don’t think it’s too late for that. They are likely to have two different Batman franchises. The Batman franchise doesn’t seem to be a part of the DCU and its vision is separate from the rest. Affleck also played Batman and he’s just two years younger than Hamm. I saw Hamm in Top Gun Maverick and he looked great. Give him a little makeup to make him younger and there you go. Either that or as the other breh said make him Two Face.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Can’t believe no one mentioned Cuba Gooding Jr. I thought he was gonna have the career Will Smith has had. How do you go from Jerry Maguire to Boat Trip? :gucci:

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
White Female

Mentione her before - Nicole Sullivan - Just on MadTV basis - this broad is hilarious. I heard she got blacklisted.
nicole-sullivan-b30a1d9e85364d47b40d7aa4e335cb05.jpg

At least this chick is working, but I naively thought she'd jump into movies, instead of being stuck in TV suburbia

christina-hendricks-65e4b868a23f9.jpg

White Boys

These mf'ers, cot damn...

5ec6d958988ee36d6c13644b

And this dude? He defined cool for white boys while this was on.
You telling me he couldn't be Superman?

MV5BNzg0MzA4MTY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg2MTIwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Now my Black picks (see above for Jamie Foxx and Wayne Brady)

Have you seen Hotel Rwanda?
I'm glad he got his payday, but Cheadle should be spoken of with the same love as Denzel, real talk

MV5BNDMxNDM3MzY5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjkzOTY4MQ@@._V1_.jpg

This set of brothers makes me want to cry

At least Wallace was able to make some bank....
Mike 1st album tho :wow:

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I honestly googled about Jon Hamm and this Quora seems to have some good responses.

Also this quote on Julia Louis-Dreyfus is on the nose. Sometimes it takes time.

There’s a thing you may or may not have noticed about how Hollywood sometimes deals with actors who break through with iconic roles: they become typecast, meaning they basically get offered more of the exact same character they just finished playing. So when Mad Men ended, what kind of roles was Jon Hamm offered? More Don Drapers.

But he doesn’t want to do more Don Drapers, and wants to show that he can do other things too. If you look at the kinds of roles he’s taken since Mad Men, you see certain patterns: he does a lot of comedy instead of drama, and even when he does a dramatic role it’s a straight-ahead character like a military officer or a police detective, where he doesn’t have to play brooding or complicated. But it takes time to change your established public image: Seinfeld ended in 1998, for example, but it took Julia Louis-Dreyfus until 2006 to land another moderately successful show (The New Adventures of Old Christine) that people were willing to watch her in without constantly expecting more Elaine, and then until 2012 before she landed another series (Veep) so popular that Elaine isn’t even the first thing most people associate her with anymore.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I always want to put Jamie up there with Will and Denzel but he just doesn't measure up. Ray and Django are probably his 2 biggest movies. Outside of those, he hasn't really shook up the cinematic world. He's arguably the most talented man Hollywood has ever seen but he hasn't even remotely capitalized on that talent. By now you expect his filmography to be on some Will/Leo shyt but idk man.

Any Given Sunday was good
Collateral was straight
Dreamgirls was good
White House Down was okay
Law Abiding Citizen was cool

These are just his biggest starring roles off the top of my head. I guess I wish he had more blockbuster/career defining roles. His Netflix stuff is good too but not career defining. I'm disappointed in his acting career.

Denzel got Malcolm X/Training Day
Will Smith honestly is just in another category. I don't think any actor white or black can match up with him so I think it's wrong to compare Jamie to him. But Jamie is way more talented.
There's a contingent of this board who believes Will's filmography from about 2010 on is lackluster. I don't agree but the idea that Will's catalogue is on a different stratosphere isn't quite accurate.

Will's edge is spamming the Messiah figure in action movies in the last decade of the bankable star (2000s). Leo for the last 20 years has had a '92 Dre/Snoop relationship with an ATG director that's unique in the industry. Denzel had a decade-plus of prestige/cache assigned to him to be unbothered by the decline of the bankable star, he's in the Hanks/Travolta/Cruise generation.

Saying Jamie isn't them is a different thing from saying his acting career has been disappointing.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus

Maaaaaaaaan

The four of them should've been in a Stand By Me, Friday ass movie. Ain't even have to be some hood shyt or suburban whatever. Just natural actors. peroid. Mfers could've just been on some Clerks shyt where one of em work a gig, the other a hustler.

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
White Female

Mentione her before - Nicole Sullivan - Just on MadTV basis - this broad is hilarious. I heard she got blacklisted.
nicole-sullivan-b30a1d9e85364d47b40d7aa4e335cb05.jpg

At least this chick is working, but I naively thought she'd jump into movies, instead of being stuck in TV suburbia

christina-hendricks-65e4b868a23f9.jpg

White Boys

These mf'ers, cot damn...

5ec6d958988ee36d6c13644b

And this dude? He defined cool for white boys while this was on.
You telling me he couldn't be Superman?

MV5BNzg0MzA4MTY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg2MTIwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Now my Black picks (see above for Jamie Foxx and Wayne Brady)

Have you seen Hotel Rwanda?
I'm glad he got his payday, but Cheadle should be spoken of with the same love as Denzel, real talk

MV5BNDMxNDM3MzY5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjkzOTY4MQ@@._V1_.jpg

This set of brothers makes me want to cry

Fantastic list. Agree with all except the cheadle being on Denzel level part. He's very talented and should have achieved more but he isn't generational level like Denzel or Sidney

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t think it’s too late for that. They are likely to have two different Batman franchises. The Batman franchise doesn’t seem to be a part of the DCU and its vision is separate from the rest. Affleck also played Batman and he’s just two years younger than Hamm. I saw Hamm in Top Gun Maverick and he looked great. Give him a little makeup to make him younger and there you go. Either that or as the other breh said make him Two Face.
One is Matt Reeves’ version which has Robert Pattinson. Reports have James Gunn’s Batman, which would be in the main universe, being in his early to mid 30’s, so he’s slightly older than who they picked for Superman.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Everything can't/won't be a 500M leading role, especially when MCU and the IP phenomenon has killed the bankable star of the 90s and 00s.

Based on most of the other actors named he doesn't belong in this category.
Are we talking about $500mm leading roles or capitalizing off of being a-list, and not settling for subpar movie roles?