Actors who never really capitalised on their blockbuster success

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Are we talking about $500mm leading roles or capitalizing off of being a-list, and not settling for subpar movie roles?
$500M leading roles seems to be the litmus for what he's "supposed" to be doing.

I don't know what these subpar roles are, but maybe if Jamie spent 15 years delivering variances of his Collateral character, he could've avoided them. Let us not forget one of the same guys he's being compared to passed on Django because he didn't want to dip out of his good guy/clean cut lane.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I always want to put Jamie up there with Will and Denzel but he just doesn't measure up. Ray and Django are probably his 2 biggest movies. Outside of those, he hasn't really shook up the cinematic world. He's arguably the most talented man Hollywood has ever seen but he hasn't even remotely capitalized on that talent. By now you expect his filmography to be on some Will/Leo shyt but idk man.

Any Given Sunday was good
Collateral was straight
Dreamgirls was good
White House Down was okay
Law Abiding Citizen was cool

These are just his biggest starring roles off the top of my head. I guess I wish he had more blockbuster/career defining roles. His Netflix stuff is good too but not career defining. I'm disappointed in his acting career.

Denzel got Malcolm X/Training Day
Will Smith honestly is just in another category. I don't think any actor white or black can match up with him so I think it's wrong to compare Jamie to him. But Jamie is way more talented.
Jamie has Daniel Day Lewis level talent. Daniel Day Lewis is not a blockbuster actor.

There's no reason in the world Jamie shouldn't have a Leonardo Dicaprio-esque career; 5-6 blockbusters and critical acclaim up the wazoo. Jamie is more talented than Leo. Where's this Mike Tyson biopic they been teasing for 15 years? Why is Jamie doing mostly Netflix shyt? Anything in theaters, he's the co-star or it's shyt to cut a check.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
$500M leading roles seems to be the litmus for what he's "supposed" to be doing.

I don't know what these subpar roles are, but maybe if Jamie spent 15 years delivering variances of his Collateral character, he could've avoided them. Let us not forget one of the same guys he's being compared to passed on Django because he didn't want to dip out of his good guy/clean cut lane.

Jamie has Daniel Day Lewis level talent. Daniel Day Lewis is not a blockbuster actor.

There's no reason in the world Jamie shouldn't have a Leonardo Dicaprio-esque career; 5-6 blockbusters and critical acclaim up the wazoo. Jamie is more talented than Leo. Where's this Mike Tyson biopic they been teasing for 15 years? Why is Jamie doing mostly Netflix shyt? Anything in theaters, he's the co-star or it's shyt to cut a check.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Are we talking about $500mm leading roles or capitalizing off of being a-list, and not settling for subpar movie roles?
And as I told @Hathaway
There's a contingent of this board who believes Will's filmography from about 2010 on is lackluster. I don't agree but the idea that Will's catalogue is on a different stratosphere isn't quite accurate.

Will's edge is spamming the Messiah figure in action movies in the last decade of the bankable star (2000s). Leo for the last 20 years has had a '92 Dre/Snoop relationship with an ATG director that's unique in the industry. Denzel had a decade-plus of prestige/cache assigned to him to be unbothered by the decline of the bankable star, he's in the Hanks/Travolta/Cruise generation.

Saying Jamie isn't them is a different thing from saying his acting career has been disappointing.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Fantastic list. Agree with all except the cheadle being on Denzel level part. He's very talented and should have achieved more but he isn't generational level like Denzel or Sidney
Cheadle should be there, but he keeps taking comedy roles, and getting offered bs positions.

He's a much better actor than Anthony Mackie or Michael B Jordan imo.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection

He chooses bad movies, movies with no real blockbuster potential or ends up as the costar in a movie he's more talented and notable than the people who are the leads in that movie.

I'm trying to figure out where I'm lying or being hyperbolic? I just want him to be the lead in a solid movie with a good script.

He Cloned Tyrone ain't gonna have him go down as one of the all-time greats.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
The one that stood out to me the most is kate winslet. She snagnated and even went backwards after the monumental success of titanic

Just compare her career arc after titanic to her co star, Di carprio, it's night and day

The other one is Sam worthington who hasn't done much at all since avatar (yes I know it's a franchise) He was actually killing it before avatar but He hasn't done much
else outside of the franchise since

Who are your most notable ones

Kate Winslet is a Tony away from an EGOT. What the fukk are you talking about?

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm trying to figure out where I'm lying or being hyperbolic?
You're being hyperbolic by virtue of punishing him for not being Will/Denzel, and also not acknowledging that his ascension came later than anyone else he's being compared to, where "capitalizing" on it became much harder to do.

He also takes on much more artistic risks than who he's being compared to other than DDL, who makes a movie once every seven years. This includes supporting roles and villains.

What movies post-Django should he have been in? Also, what actors who became A-list in the 2000s instead of the 80s and 90s have a string of 2010s blockbusters that isn't courtesy of an IP/universe-building project?

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jason Mitchell,,,, he got done in for sex assault right >

1243731_full.jpg

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
You're being hyperbolic by virtue of punishing him for not being Will/Denzel, and also not acknowledging that his ascension came later than anyone else he's being compared to, where "capitalizing" on it became much harder to do.

He also takes on much more artistic risks than who he's being compared to other than DDL, who makes a movie once every seven years. This includes supporting roles and villains.

What movies post-Django should he have been in? Also, what actors who became A-list in the 2000s instead of the 80s and 90s have a string of 2010s blockbusters that isn't courtesy of an IP/universe-building project?
I don't believe I compared him once to Will or Denzel in this thread. And Will/Denzel are on different spectrums to be honest. I'm asking why is he playing second fiddle to people he's more talented then? Why is he doing mostly Netflix stuff lately? I never once said anything about $500mm blockbusters. The films he has been in are lukewarm, and while that's a subjective critique, it's a consensus if you compare him to his contemporaries. Yeah, it might be unfair because of Hollywood relationships, but it's the reality and he's been in Hollywood 30+ years with both slow down in his activity.

It's a fair take.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't believe I compared him once to Will or Denzel in this thread. And Will/Denzel are on different spectrums to be honest. I'm asking why is he playing second fiddle to people he's more talented then? Why is he doing mostly Netflix stuff lately? I never once said anything about $500mm blockbusters. The films he has been in are lukewarm, and while that's a subjective critique, it's a consensus if you compare him to his contemporaries. Yeah, it might be unfair because of Hollywood relationships, but it's the reality and he's been in Hollywood 30+ years with both slow down in his activity.

It's a fair take.
For him to be any bigger would be to be them, and critiquing a lack of multide of blockbusters inplies a certain financial success.

It's not a fair take because you aren't able to answer the questions I just asked or nuances I brought up. I've addressed yours.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
For him to be any bigger would be to be them, and critiquing a lack of multide of blockbusters inplies a certain financial success.

It's not a fair take because you aren't able to answer the questions I just asked or nuances I brought up. I've addressed yours.
You didn't answer my questions. I'm not talking about blockbusters.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
You didn't answer my questions. I'm not talking about blockbusters.

We'll just agree to disagree.
Your questions were answered. Not being able to tell me what movies Jamie should've been in or what actors who've blown up in the same decade as him have been able to do what you're critiquing for not doing solidifies my point.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Your questions were answered. Not being able to tell me what movies Jamie should've been in or what actors who've blown up in the same decade as him have been able to do what you're critiquing for not doing solidifies my point.
I can't tell you what movies he should've been in, because I'm not him. I'm not his agent. All I know is Jamie has been in the game for over 30 years, and probably the relationships to corroborate. Won an Oscar. Looks 20 years younger than he really is. And has more talent than anyone in the game. Why he has only 3 maybe 4 great roles is beyond me. He should be up there with Leo, Denzel, Spacey's pedophile ass, DDL. He's not even Affleck/Damon territory.

Again, I don't care about blockbusters. I could care less if he's in Avengers 7 or Jurassic Universe. I asked where is the Mike Tyson role, him, Scorsese, and Tyson himself have teased for years.

If you want me to go deeper than than that, I think Jamie is a paycheck actor. If something critically acclaimed pops up, he'll throw his bid in, like that with RDJ a few years ago. Jamie is better than 90% of the shyt he's slapped his name on. He seemingly does whatever his schedule permits and cuts the biggest check to him. Because his output isn't the problem. And is his output isn't the problem then that suggests he either doesn't care to do critically acclaimed shyt or his schedule doesn't permit, because he's tied up with half ass shyt.