☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Not trying to turn this into a sociohistorical discussion, but that's the problem. How can a show set in the rich suburbs of California HONESTLY discuss what it means to be black in America in 2014? My answer is it can't. Majority of blacks don't live in that socioeconomic space, so we cannot identify with it. We are on the cusp of a New Nadir as political subjugation has silenced our voices, economic exploitation has transformed into sub working class work for the masses, and social humiliation and state sponsored violence is SOARING right now across the nation. That show does not engage the question of the black masses: 90 percent of the black population in this nation does not live like that at all. So what exactly is it trying to show? People aren't watching because it doesn't depict the reality for the majority black class as it struggles to fight racial, capitalist, and gendered oppression

Lets be 1000% honest right now.

You're getting that degree. I'm getting my advanced degrees as well.

Blackish is OUR show.

As much as you want to ignore this, we'll both probably end up around this sort of lifestyle more or less.

We cant and will never cater to everyone and this is becoming the new norm for black kids in the 90s who went to college en masse, many of which were HBCUs and are now entering middle age and enjoying similar lives.

Blackish looks like where I see probably 80% of my black male and female friends ending up. I'm not even lying.

There are fewer of us, but shows like this celebrate the level of success we should seek to make the new average.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I agree with that, but the question to why more blacks aren't watching is simply identification. As the socioeconomic issues continue to worsen, the black masses turn away from unrealistic depictions of their lives; plus you have to add in that ABC does not have a tract record for black television in recent years...

Frantz Fanon's Black Skin White Masks discusses the problems with shows like this and the black community; its a sociological/psychological problem that we have always had since the creation of the black working class and black middle class at the beginning of the 20th century
Again, I disagree.

This show in particular is one show. If you didn't have this show, you'd wonder why you didn't have it.

What you should be asking for is another show, not shytting on this show. The goal is diversity, not singularity.

And frankly again, everyone in my circle from undergrad (and high school friends who went to college) follows this show. This is MY new normal.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I agree..more blacks aren't watching because we'd rather watch love and hip hop or the kardashians, or the real housewives of _______ or reruns of shows that we used to watch 20 years ago. Apparently we respond more to ratchet shyt now
what numbers are ya'll using?

I'm on group chats and email lists and group texts of all black people (and black organizations :mjpls: ) and we're ALL watching this shyt...granted we're all college educated and the majority of us have post-grad degrees

The circle is changing. No one is saying to ignore the black struggle, but theres a new struggle and this show is addressing it as much as it can.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Our system restricts access for youths to have the opportunities to "grow up"...how can you grow up when you don't have parents in the household because they are fighting and scratching to find work and when they do its minimum wage work? So they have to have 2 jobs and the family unit is broken. And urban black schools have NO FUNDING...so how are they supposed to mature on a massive scale? They can't and the racist capitalists don't want them to
why does Blackish have to be the show that addresses this?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
what numbers are ya'll using?

I'm on group chats and email lists and group texts of all black people (and black organizations :mjpls: ) and we're ALL watching this shyt...granted we're all college educated and the majority of us have post-grad degrees

The circle is changing. No one is saying to ignore the black struggle, but theres a new struggle and this show is addressing it as much as it can.

I know people who aren't warching breh. Not saying no one is watching obviously that's false but I do know people who aren't because they don't think it's funny and would rather watch the same ole reality tv