ABC's upcoming sitcom: "Black-ish"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The only reason certain black people respond to that type of ignorance is that it is propagandized so heavily by white capitalists to continue a subjugation of the racial classes of black and brown masses...that shyt is not organic man...black folks don't create or want a culture of ignorance; never have in our history. It was CREATED by white racists and capitalists who control both the means of production and the mass media...its a historical and contemporary trend. Check out Franz Fanon's work about the effects on racial capitalism on the colonized (Wretched of the Earth), or Leon Dash's All Our Kin, which shows how the black underclasses refuse to take the idea of "ignorance" or "distrust" or any other stereotypical claim about us at all...its deeper than "black folks want ignorance" THAT IS NOT TRUE and my PhD work I do disproves that idea. We have never wanted ignorance and we still don't today...you see individuals who are like that because those ideas and most importantly, those SOCIOECONOMIC CONDITIONS make it that way...man it so much going on in our community that we have no control over its mindblowing...point is that none of the ignorant shyt you see is organic or our own doing; there is a systemic reason and that's what my work is trying to show and fix

I feel you breh but I can't go entirely with its just propaganda. I believe that is a factor but I believe in the factor of some people just wanting crap because they want crap. Whether that's right or wrong is obviously up for debate but I can't completely ignore that factor. There's always people who like watching train wrecks or car wrecks

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
I feel you breh but I can't go entirely with its just propaganda. I believe that is a factor but I believe in the factor of some people just wanting crap because they want crap. Whether that's right or wrong is obviously up for debate but I can't completely ignore that factor. There's always people who like watching train wrecks or car wrecks

Where does that come from then? because its not organic. That's the issue here. I never mentioned anything about right or wrong in any of my posts, My main point is that you cannot say blacks "want ignorance or crap" without respecting the history and contemporary trends of racial capitalism and how it creates both apartheid-like, depreciated, and poor urban spaces and mass media depictions of black=negative in every outlet possible. I'm saying that those people you say you know are like that because of forces that have always existed to continue the subjugation of the masses.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Where does that come from then? because its not organic. That's the issue here. I never mentioned anything about right or wrong in any of my posts, My main point is that you cannot say blacks "want ignorance or crap" without respecting the history and contemporary trends of racial capitalism and how it creates both apartheid-like, depreciated, and poor urban spaces and mass media depictions of black=negative in every outlet possible. I'm saying that those people you say you know are like that because of forces that have always existed to continue the subjugation of the masses.

I'm not saying blacks I'm saying people in general at times want crap. And I don't think it all comes from propaganda, sometimes it comes from upbringing or just the environment around us. Not everyone is put in a situation to succeed either because their parents don't give a crap about them, their parents aren't around, or they just choose to follow other people down the wrong path. Then there are issues in school systems across the country unless you can afford to pay for a private education, and just a litany of other things that we all know about. It's a combination of a media that constantly pushes ignorant stuff and a group of people who don't know anything better than that because that's what their environment gives them, which also sucks.

You're getting your PhD, I've got two MA's..not everyone is fortunate enough to be in those positions or be exposed to higher education or a higher way of thinking so the system continues to perpetuate. And the idea of not being able to look away during a car wreck is as much a psychological thing as anything else and I can't answer why that is

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
I'm not saying blacks I'm saying people in general at times want crap. And I don't think it all comes from propaganda, sometimes it comes from upbringing or just the environment around us. Not everyone is put in a situation to succeed either because their parents don't give a crap about them, their parents aren't around, or they just choose to follow other people down the wrong path. Then there are issues in school systems across the country unless you can afford to pay for a private education, and just a litany of other things that we all know about. It's a combination of a media that constantly pushes ignorant stuff and a group of people who don't know anything better than that because that's what their environment gives them, which also sucks.

You're getting your PhD, I've got two MA's..not everyone is fortunate enough to be in those positions or be exposed to higher education or a higher way of thinking so the system continues to perpetuate. And the idea of not being able to look away during a car wreck is as much a psychological thing as anything else and I can't answer why that is

The bolded is exactly what I'm arguing lol.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The bolded is exactly what I'm arguing lol.

Oh so we're good then lol. Cause that's what I been saying. It's not all propaganda, a lot of it is us too and it comes from upbringing. If the media is giving me crap and my parents are telling me I'm crap or I'm following their example and they live a life very similar to the ignorant stereotypes I see (because all stereotypes come from a place of truth) then that's what I'm going to follow. In the argument of movies and music influencing us and being scapegoats for bad behavior, I've always been an advocate of looking to the parents and not immediately blaming the media for shortcomings. Chris Rock said it best: If a kid calls his grandmama mommy and his momma Pam, that kid is going to jail

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Oh so we're good then lol. Cause that's what I been saying. It's not all propaganda, a lot of it is us too and it comes from upbringing. If the media is giving me crap and my parents are telling me I'm crap or I'm following their example and they live a life very similar to the ignorant stereotypes I see (because all stereotypes come from a place of truth) then that's what I'm going to follow. In the argument of movies and music influencing us and being scapegoats for bad behavior, I've always been an advocate of looking to the parents and not immediately blaming the media for shortcomings. Chris Rock said it best: If a kid calls his grandmama mommy and his momma Pam, that kid is going to jail

Yea and my second post in this discussion said that its a combination of the propaganda and socioeconomic conditions of the black masses thats both historically systemic and contemporary in its oppressive state. The "wanting and responding to ignorance" is not organic. That's all i was saying

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yea and my second post in this discussion said that its a combination of the propaganda and socioeconomic conditions of the black masses thats both historically systemic and contemporary in its oppressive state. The "wanting and responding to ignorance" is not organic. That's all i was saying

Well there's also something to be said for arrested development. I'd argue that as kids, we all respond to ignorance often in very immature ways because we are immature. some people just never grow out of that and it just gets worse which sucks

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Well there's also something to be said for arrested development. I'd argue that as kids, we all respond to ignorance often in very immature ways because we are immature. some people just never grow out of that and it just gets worse which sucks

Our system restricts access for youths to have the opportunities to "grow up"...how can you grow up when you don't have parents in the household because they are fighting and scratching to find work and when they do its minimum wage work? So they have to have 2 jobs and the family unit is broken. And urban black schools have NO FUNDING...so how are they supposed to mature on a massive scale? They can't and the racist capitalists don't want them to

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Our system restricts access for youths to have the opportunities to "grow up"...how can you grow up when you don't have parents in the household because they are fighting and scratching to find work and when they do its minimum wage work? So they have to have 2 jobs and the family unit is broken. And urban black schools have NO FUNDING...so how are they supposed to mature on a massive scale? They can't and the racist capitalists don't want them to

Depends on where the schools are breh. PG county schools do have funding because the area is predominately black, but list most public schools, it's still underfunded. And most of the families in PG county (most not all) are very well off and well educated but the kids still decide to do what they want to do. You can be in a position where you have both parents at home, helping you along the right path, giving you every benefit known to man and still end up becoming a statistic. Plenty of people around here are like that

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Depends on where the schools are breh. PG county schools do have funding because the area is predominately black, but list most public schools, it's still underfunded. And most of the families in PG county (most not all) are very well off and well educated but the kids still decide to do what they want to do. You can be in a position where you have both parents at home, helping you along the right path, giving you every benefit known to man and still end up becoming a statistic. Plenty of people around here are like that

Breh, most predominantly black schools in this country are ridiculously underfunded...one example doesn't change the fact.

And you keep talking about kids you know rejecting their middle class family lives...what statistics show that what you say is a DOMINANT problem in the black community? The majority of blacks, over 90 percent in this country, are living at either working class or poor in their economic situation. Most do not have both parents in the household and most live in the depreciated urban conditions. That's a fact. Yea you have an example here and there of kids acting out against their middle class background, but that is not COMMON or SYSTEMIC. That is an exception to the rule.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Breh, most predominantly black schools in this country are ridiculously underfunded...one example doesn't change the fact.

And you keep talking about kids you know rejecting their middle class family lives...what statistics show that what you say is a DOMINANT problem in the black community? The majority of blacks, over 90 percent in this country, are living at either working class or poor in their economic situation. Most do not have both parents in the household and most live in the depreciated urban conditions. That's a fact. Yea you have an example here and there of kids acting out against their middle class background, but that is not COMMON or SYSTEMIC. That is an exception to the rule.

Of course it's not common or systemic but that doesn't mean it's not worth discussing or worth focusing on. Just because they're living in middle class environments doesn't mean they don't have some of the same issues with regards to dropout rates, crime rates, or anything else we've talked about. Plus I gotta talk about what I see and what's outside my front door too, not just focus on the community at large. And obviously my community is going to be more resonant with me and have a bigger emotional connection. Both situations are worth talking about and dealing with in hopes of understanding and fixing issues

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Of course it's not common or systemic but that doesn't mean it's not worth discussing or worth focusing on. Just because they're living in middle class environments doesn't mean they don't have some of the same issues with regards to dropout rates, crime rates, or anything else we've talked about. Plus I gotta talk about what I see and what's outside my front door too, not just focus on the community at large. And obviously my community is going to be more resonant with me and have a bigger emotional connection. Both situations are worth talking about and dealing with in hopes of understanding and fixing issues

let's see: Talking about the very small black middle class having very rare examples of their youths resisting their middle class privileges versus a systemic racial and capitalist system that subjugates, exploits, disenfranchises, and kills our working class and poor youth on a massive scale both historically and in a contemporary sense...hmmm...there are some crises much more significant to the survival of the ENTIRE race than others breh

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
let's see: Talking about the very small black middle class having very rare examples of their youths resisting their middle class privileges versus a systemic racial and capitalist system that subjugates, exploits, disenfranchises, and kills our working class and poor youth on a massive scale both historically and in a contemporary sense...hmmm...there are some crises much more significant to the survival of the ENTIRE race than others breh

Of course there are but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be talked about that's all I'm saying. Especially when you look at the dichotomy of an area that is healthy economically but still has one of the highest crime rates in the country and high school dropout rates along with one of the worst school systems in the country. I'm not saying it's more important, but I do feel like it's important and should be addressed.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not trying to turn this into a sociohistorical discussion, but that's the problem. How can a show set in the rich suburbs of California HONESTLY discuss what it means to be black in America in 2014? My answer is it can't. Majority of blacks don't live in that socioeconomic space, so we cannot identify with it. We are on the cusp of a New Nadir as political subjugation has silenced our voices, economic exploitation has transformed into sub working class work for the masses, and social humiliation and state sponsored violence is SOARING right now across the nation. That show does not engage the question of the black masses: 90 percent of the black population in this nation does not live like that at all. So what exactly is it trying to show? People aren't watching because it doesn't depict the reality for the majority black class as it struggles to fight racial, capitalist, and gendered oppression

Powerful post:mjcry:...I cant say black folks are dying for a tv show about fighting oppression,and injustice though:comeon:...But the reality show shyt is a copout,those are basically soap operas and bytches have always loved soap operas,and those shows replaced soaps....the popularty of reality tv show drama didn't start with us anyway.

I don't think black folks are against a suburban/middle class California family,Moesha did just fine,Bernie Mac as well....I just watch this show and don't really care about any character on this show and nobody is standout funny....and the humor is somewhat watered down to not scare away white people which will turn away some black people:manny:...

People got mad when I said its time for a hood sitcom and weve had enuff Blackishes....I understand over the past decade hood sitcoms basically mean low budget,bad writing,about bullshyt,ovver the top borderline c00nish characters and most importantly not funny, but that's not what I was asking for....I think we are prime for a show like a Good Times,South Central with good writing,well written characters/actors..

I just think somewhere down the line we OD'd on well to do black familys trying to counter stereotypes....I didn't mean stop making shows like Blackish all together,but don't forget to represent the masses too and networks need to give those shows a chance...I just don't think Blackish is as great as some of yall are hyping it...as if it must be problem with black people who don't want to watch it:comeon:.

Its about 1 level above Family Time that comes on BounceTV that I don't see nobody demanding blacks need to watch....and lowkey I give it my stamp of approval based on the fact I watched it for a whole 30 minutes becuz I was so hypnotized by Angel Conwells wagon:mjcry:....She thicker than she ever been yall:banderas:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Of course there are but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be talked about that's all I'm saying. Especially when you look at the dichotomy of an area that is healthy economically but still has one of the highest crime rates in the country and high school dropout rates along with one of the worst school systems in the country. I'm not saying it's more important, but I do feel like it's important and should be addressed.

Ok I agree with that