Aaliyahs uncle says Normani should have asked for permission

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
People also have to remember that the Blurred Lines lawsuit lowered the bar considerably for what is and getting considered as a sample.
Yeah nikkas thought it was cool cause Thicke is white and Marvin Gaye is who he is but that was literally one of the worst lawsuits I’ve ever seen. I’m surprised all these “trap” producers ain’t been suing each other because that’s basically the precedent that lawsuit set.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Same drum pattern. Same acoustics. Swapped the birds chirping out with wind chimes. It’s like making an iPhone with similar features but different wording and putting an orange on it.
That would be completely legal though. That’s just starting your own cellphone company.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Clearly a sample jack but I’m sure Normani’s team knew that anyone with the last name Hankerson would’ve said no to this shyt.

she would’ve been better off asking/begging Timbo to re-work those drums and then doing some ad-libs so it “feels” like another track

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
The vibe is so obvious with this one, I can sing the chorus to one in a million perfectly with the Normani beat…The Robin Thicke song was a bigger stretch than this.

Thicke and Pharrell should’ve never lost that case and it set a bad precedent. Both songs were in different keys, tempos and the melodies.

The cowbell (which is a fukking cowbell) might have “felt” like Marvin’s track but how many times have upbeat tempo cowbells been used? Folks saw that song at #1 and saw dollar signs along with the cancel brigade catching feelings about the lyrics/content.

King Kai

Supporter
Daps
This is not as negative as people are assuming. Link to article: Aaliyah's Uncle Not Upset Normani Allegedly Sampled Her, Believes She'd be Supportive

"Barry Hankerson -- Aaliyah's uncle and manager of her catalog -- tells TMZ ... his niece "always encouraged young women pursuing their musical and entertainment careers, to achieve their dreams."

Hankerson is the founder of Blackground Records and says he owns all of Aaliyah's masters, and he says it's clear Normani has been inspired by her music. He adds ... "I believe that Aaliyah would be very supportive of a young Black woman that chose to emulate her music and style."

Barry did add that it would have been "more honorable" if the singer sought approval to sample "One in a Million" first, but ultimately, he does seem to give his seal of approval. He says "I will not stand in the way of something that brings to light the incredible staying power of Aaliyah. So in that light, wishing Normani well with the song and overall career. God bless. I think Aaliyah would be pleased."

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
This is so stupid its painful. If they actually sampled the beat, the sound of crickets (which is omnipresent in the Aaliyah track) would be there! Guess what's not there in the Normani track??

You can literally use any basic Audio editing software and isolate that sound an reduce it significantly to the point where the melody and vocals on a track will drown it out completely to the regular ear. But you would know that if you weren't using MPCs like its 2002 looking like J Dilla in 2021 :mjlol:

I literally did this in 5 minutes on my laptop. Imagine being in a professional studio what could be done lol

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That would be completely legal though. That’s just starting your own cellphone company.

Doubt it. Otherwise we’d see that already. If someone mirrored everything about an IPhone breh, Apple would sue the breaks off them. That’s why Androids, IPhones and Samsung’s look drastically different, feel different and have different startup screens, App Stores, graphical interface, etc. I’m saying if somebody made an phone that looked exactly like an iPhone, even down to the fonts on the startup screen being similar but them saying nah we’re called Orange. They’d get sued. It’s the same reason why you cant start a McDowells and use a different font for the M but still make it an arch that’s red and gold. It’s too similar to McDonalds.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Yeah nikkas thought it was cool cause Thicke is white and Marvin Gaye is who he is but that was literally one of the worst lawsuits I’ve ever seen. I’m surprised all these “trap” producers ain’t been suing each other because that’s basically the precedent that lawsuit set.

In the Blurred Lines case, basically it was the ghost of a legendary, black Motown artist taking on a white, privileged, Hollywood brat drunkard. And the ghost legend prevailed.

However, the decision itself was fecal matter.

Michael Jackson said that "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" was inspired by "Got To Give It Up." Should the Jackson estate retroactively pay royalties to the Gaye estate (even though Marvin himself never commented on any similarities between the songs)?

Marvin's "Til Tomorrow" has elements and a "feel" similar to Heatwave's "Always and Forever." Should the Wilder and Temperton estates posthumously sue the Gaye estate? This is how crazy it could get, with lawyers - not artists- making ALL the money.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
It's not the same beat, and not even that close. Also no cricket samples in the background which is a key element of the One in a Million beat. Melody's totally different and Normani doesn't use Aaliyah's vocal cadence.

Not seeing it with this one.
only thing thats a rip from one in a million is the hi hat pattern in a small part of the drum loop. nothing else is similar. drums was just inspired by timbaland. really nothing to see here

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Thicke and Pharrell should’ve never lost that case and it set a bad precedent. Both songs were in different keys, tempos and the melodies.

The cowbell (which is a fukking cowbell) might have “felt” like Marvin’s track but how many times have upbeat tempo cowbells been used? Folks saw that song at #1 and saw dollar signs along with the cancel brigade catching feelings about the lyrics/content.

Facts.

I feel the same way about Ed Sheeran breaking bread over that Shape of You/No Scrubs shyt. Like, people change the pacing and tempo of the songs and be like they sound the same when doing comparisons. You changed the song fundamentally and now you’re talking, “ohhhhh, they sound the same.” :gucci:

Song was in a whole different key.

Last edited: