Aaliyahs uncle says Normani should have asked for permission

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
The drum pattern is similar but not the same as One In A Million.

Plus, drum patterns are too common in popular music to be protected legally. Everybody would be suing one another if that was allowed.

Keyboard chords/progressions also aren't the same. Lyrics, chords, melodies, progressions are the protected aspects of songwriting (see "Blurred Lines" case).

Hard to see where there would be be a legal claim here, but you never know.

Copyright a Drumbeat?

So the real question we need to ask: are drumbeats considered songwriting? If they are, then they form part of the musical composition and would be protected under the law just like a chord progression, melody or lyric.

The short answer:

unfortunately, no. Drumbeats and drum patterns are not typically considered songwriting – it’s not typical to copyright a drumbeat. The law makes clear that lyrics, melody, harmony, and rhythm can be copyrighted. Most often, lyrics and melody are afforded protection under the law before the other two. This is arguable because the latter two are considered “accompaniment,” while the first two form the backbone of the composition, and remain consistent regardless of who is performing the composition.

This is actually a good thing in many ways. If every drumbeat was considered songwriting, the Bonham ‘Levee’ beat, the Bo Diddly groove, the ‘We Will Rock You’ stomp, even the standard four-on-the-floor pattern would all exist in only one song, and if you emulated any of them in a new song, you could be sued for plagiarism.

Copyright a Drumbeat? Drum patterns and songwriting

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
he should have just produced it, imagine a timbo intro and verse

go copy a led zeppelin drum beat and see how fast you get sued

Even Led Zeppelin/John Bonham used 4/4 beats common to other songs (Rock N Roll).

If they tried to sue over a drum beat, they would then be sued right back by many, many others.

This is not about sampling a Led Zeppelin record for a drum sound (infringement on the master recording).

The point is that drum beats alone are not copyright protected if replayed.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
The drum pattern is similar but not the same as One In A Million.

Plus, drum patterns are too common in popular music to be protected legally. Everybody would be suing one another if that was allowed.

Keyboard chords/progressions also aren't the same. Lyrics, chords, melodies, progressions are the protected aspects of songwriting (see "Blurred Lines" case).

Hard to see where there would be be a legal claim here, but you never know.

Copyright a Drumbeat?

So the real question we need to ask: are drumbeats considered songwriting? If they are, then they form part of the musical composition and would be protected under the law just like a chord progression, melody or lyric.

The short answer:

unfortunately, no. Drumbeats and drum patterns are not typically considered songwriting – it’s not typical to copyright a drumbeat. The law makes clear that lyrics, melody, harmony, and rhythm can be copyrighted. Most often, lyrics and melody are afforded protection under the law before the other two. This is arguable because the latter two are considered “accompaniment,” while the first two form the backbone of the composition, and remain consistent regardless of who is performing the composition.

This is actually a good thing in many ways. If every drumbeat was considered songwriting, the Bonham ‘Levee’ beat, the Bo Diddly groove, the ‘We Will Rock You’ stomp, even the standard four-on-the-floor pattern would all exist in only one song, and if you emulated any of them in a new song, you could be sued for plagiarism.

Copyright a Drumbeat? Drum patterns and songwriting
All that went out the window after the Robin Thicke lawsuit lol. They said his song felt like Marvin’s song and they won lol. If I heard this song without knowing the story I’d think they asked for permission to sample Aaliyahs song

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
All that went out the window after the Robin Thicke lawsuit lol. They said his song felt like Marvin’s song and they won lol. If I heard this song without knowing the story I’d think they asked for permission to sample Aaliyahs song

Here's the thing: The Blurred Lines lawsuit was largely decided on a sheet music comparison between it and "Got To Give It Up."

In fact, the Gaye family wasn't allowed to play the actual "Got To Give It Up" recording at trial because it included too many unprotected elements, including the percussion/beat.

"The Gaye estate lawyers later claimed that testimony on Thicke’s side had “poisoned perhaps irreparably” the jury, according to The Hollywood Reporter. While Thicke was able to perform the songs, the Gayes were not allowed to play the recorded version of “Got to Give It Up” since the copyright they were defending applied to sheet music. The judge claimed that Gaye’s voice, the version’s backup vocals and some of the percussion – all of which are not covered by copyright – could sway the jury; eventually, they were allowed to play a stripped-down version of the tune."

Robin Thicke and Pharrell Lose 'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Just watched the wild side vid and that song sounds nothing like one in a million...... The most they could vouch for is the high hats sounding similar but not really....

Also that vid is fire... Song was good until the Cardi B part.... :scust:

Sex Luthor

I'm like kryptonite to these thots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
They keep saying it wasn't "sampled directly" which tells me they know they used parts, used their own to re-create the sound or some other shyt that's not a direct sample. Maybe an Aaliyah sample off of a different song that was cleared. I don't know.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
that was an obvious attempt to get away with using a sample without clearing but you're not wrong

I find it mindboggling that artist and labels think they can get away either no clearing samples without anyone realizing. Just because Timb likes the song doesn’t mean that him nor Missy won’t come asking for a cut of the profits lol.

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
They sound like 2 completely different songs.

It's not the same beat, and not even that close. Also no cricket samples in the background which is a key element of the One in a Million beat. Melody's totally different and Normani doesn't use Aaliyah's vocal cadence.

Not seeing it with this one.

Say you don't know what sampling means without saying you don't know what sampling means brehs

That is the point of sampling. Creating a different song. You can clearly hear the drum pattern sampled and a few chord progressions