Aaliyahs uncle says Normani should have asked for permission

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Say you don't know what sampling means without saying you don't know what sampling means brehs

That is the point of sampling. Creating a different song. You can clearly hear the drum pattern sampled and a few chord progressions

This is so stupid its painful. If they actually sampled the beat, the sound of crickets (which is omnipresent in the Aaliyah track) would be there! Guess what's not there in the Normani track??

There is a big difference between sampling and resequencing a beat. If you want to claim that the Normani beat is derivative via-resequencing, THAT could be possible and I wouldn't argue against it. The quote you posted above is only my opinion and its not even one I feel that strongly about. I could give 2 shyts if this beat is inspired by or a direct ripoff of "One in a Million".

Now if you want to keep talking like an idiot to someone who owns 2 MPC1000's, be my guest. You only make yourself look like a fool.

edit: Also you got the ear of a piece of wood. That is far from the same beat. It's a similar beat, but nowhere near the exact same beat pattern. Not the same drum sounds, not the same sequenced hits (the hi hat is a dead giveaway).

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's the thing: The Blurred Lines lawsuit was largely decided on a sheet music comparison between it and "Got To Give It Up."

In fact, the Gaye family wasn't allowed to play the actual "Got To Give It Up" recording at trial because it included too many unprotected elements, including the percussion/beat.

"The Gaye estate lawyers later claimed that testimony on Thicke’s side had “poisoned perhaps irreparably” the jury, according to The Hollywood Reporter. While Thicke was able to perform the songs, the Gayes were not allowed to play the recorded version of “Got to Give It Up” since the copyright they were defending applied to sheet music. The judge claimed that Gaye’s voice, the version’s backup vocals and some of the percussion – all of which are not covered by copyright – could sway the jury; eventually, they were allowed to play a stripped-down version of the tune."

Robin Thicke and Pharrell Lose 'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit

this man knows what he’s talking about. You either work in publishing or are an attorney lol

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had to give it a listen myself. Yeah that drum pattern and baseline has 98% of One In A Million’s DNA in it. Timbo would definitely recognize it within 5 seconds of playing the song.

Same drum pattern. Same acoustics. Swapped the birds chirping out with wind chimes. It’s like making an iPhone with similar features but different wording and putting an orange on it.