A24's "The Iron Claw" (Von Erich Family biopic starring Zac Efron)

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Why is that your theory? I mean I'm not saying it's impossible I'm just wondering if it's based in facts or something you've heard somewhere.

1) His lone experience acting (outside of Iron Claw) is a very minor voiceover role in a direct to video Justice League animated movie that came out a couple months ago.

2) He's a 27 year old that has never had any sort of association with Hollywood. He's probably paid well by wrestling standards, but to be blunt he's likely not making enough to be able to contribute enough money on his own to a movie with a $16 million budget to get Executive Producer credit.

Given the amount of hype for this movie, the early reviews, and the low budget, Snowman could have easily floated enough money to MJF so he could get EP credit in exchange for him being paid back + reupping with AEW. In reality, if this movie is a hit and he's an EP, he's making more money than what WWE or AEW would pay him.

Also, Ducktale Dave's logic would imply Chavo would be an Executive Producer on this movie, which he isn't.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
1) His lone experience acting (outside of Iron Claw) is a very minor voiceover role in a direct to video Justice League animated movie that came out a couple months ago.

2) He's a 27 year old that has never had any sort of association with Hollywood. He's probably paid well by wrestling standards, but to be blunt he's likely not making enough to be able to contribute enough money on his own to a movie with a $16 million budget to get Executive Producer credit.

Given the amount of hype for this movie, the early reviews, and the low budget, Snowman could have easily floated enough money to MJF so he could get EP credit in exchange for him being paid back + reupping with AEW. In reality, if this movie is a hit and he's an EP, he's making more money than what WWE or AEW would pay him.

Also, Ducktale Dave's logic would imply Chavo would be an Executive Producer on this movie, which he isn't.

:ehh:

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
sure its gonna be good but Brad Gilmore on Book podcast said they didn't even cover one of the brothers at all because they felt it would be too much

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
just got back. go see it.

it's tragic though.

Zac Efron could probably get an Oscar nod from this, but also the guy who played Fritz was Fritz. He should get a supporting actor nod.
H. McCallany is seriously underrated. Between Lights Out and MindHunter, he's became a person that I need to see in any show.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
This was really good. Some powerful moments. Very sad of course. I thought all of the actors were cast really well for who they were portraying with one exception.

I didn't care for Flair lol. In fairness, Flair is probably one of the toughest wrestlers to replicate, his persona is just on another level. Best I've ever seen do it is probably Jay Lethal.

But all of the wrestling was good too.. It felt like WCCW for real from all the clips I've seen of the territory.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
This was really good. Some powerful moments. Very sad of course. I thought all of the actors were cast really well for who they were portraying with one exception.

I didn't care for Flair lol. In fairness, Flair is probably one of the toughest wrestlers to replicate, his persona is just on another level. Best I've ever seen do it is probably Jay Lethal.

But all of the wrestling was good too.. It felt like WCCW for real from all the clips I've seen of the territory.

Would you recommend this film to someone who doesn't like wrestling? It's either this or I catch killers of the flower moon.

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
I saw it last night and I liked it, but things that I didn't like were

The dude that played Ric Flair: The best Flair impersonation was by the Black Muchismo. This guy looks like he had a week to prepair for the part. didn't have the voice, characteristics or anything. Looked like they showed him a youtube clip and said, "try your best. It was terrible!!

Bruiser Brody and Gino Hernandez should have got more screen time. They could have used this to set up a Brody AND Gino films on some Marvel shyt, but the guys playing them weren't t that good either

The Freebirds should have gotten more time than Ric Flair on the screen, but I understand. Ric Flair is more known than the Freebirds, but their rivalry was HUGE and downplayed in the film.

leaving out Chris was a mistake. I saw it with my wife and I told her about them because I grew up watching them as a child. I'm 46 so the last one killed himself when was in high school(Kerry). I told her that I understood why they left him out because it probably wouldn't have been believable if 3 brothers committed suicide and another overdosed(the claims of David overdosing were always talk of the wrestling world). Then they left out Kevin getting a gun from a gun store to kill himself and deciding against it.

Great movie, it's just that those things bothered me. I know movies are not completely accurate today, but this also bothered me about the NWA film leaving the Arabian Prince out. And yes Bobbywojak, I'd recommend this to someone that doesn't like wrestling. It's a sad piece. I told her, "don't get comfortable with any characters. This was more of a Kevin biopic on how he interacted with his brothers than being about all of them equally. It's one of those things you would have had to be there to experience. I'm getting to the age in life now that a lot of biopics i see now are things I've lived though

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
As a non-wrestling fan who had no knowledge of this family before walking into the movie, I was blown away! This movie was amazing. I laughed, I got angry, I was on the edge of my seat, and I cried several times. Just wow. I am about to go on a serious rabbit hole for information about this family. Zac Effron should get a nomination for this. He acted his ass off. I do think the pacing was a bit off towards the middle end but the story was so compelling, I didn't care. That scene towards the end with the brothers was one of the most touching things. I just really loved this movie. 9.5/10 for me.