"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the point some of y’all are missing is that all of the characters in the original book are white. It’s not like Ava took a black story and then white washed it. She took a white story and added black characters. Obviously there are some limitations with how black she could go with it lol. So in that context it was still a bold move by her and something she probably couldn’t have gotten away with if the book was more popular. Just imagine the outcry if a black director made Frodo Baggins or Harry Potter black :russ:

Agree with y’all that this was the wrong project for her to choose though. Haven’t seen it but it seems like it doesn’t play to her strengths as a director and there’s only so much you can do with a bad script

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This is a movie for little girls based on a book for little girls...right?
yup
I think the point some of y’all are missing is that all of the characters in the original book are white. It’s not like Ava took a black story and then white washed it. She took a white story and added black characters.
Pretty much, but you can't expect these dudes to have any type of nuance or read details.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I have a new found respect for Ava after watching this interview. And I'm willing to admit it put my foot in my mouth in this thread.

If you don't want to watch.

1. She says the movie was marketed towards kids and families with kids. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. She said she turned down black panther because she felt it should be directed by a black man. She wanted to do a movie about a black woman. Which is true.

3. She made the father white because she didn't want to have another movie portrayal of an absentee black father. So she made him white.

I will never see this movie because it wasn't made for me.

I would also date her as well :manny:

:cape:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
to those that have read the books or seen the movie, was the fathers absence due to him abandoning his family or some other shyt?

EDIT: reading the wiki entry on the book, the father disappearance has nothing to do with "absentee father" bullshyt. its a plot of the story. and the daughter has to rescue him. :camby: fukk outta here
This is what I was thinking as well.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
I think the point some of y’all are missing is that all of the characters in the original book are white. It’s not like Ava took a black story and then white washed it. She took a white story and added black characters. Obviously there are some limitations with how black she could go with it lol. So in that context it was still a bold move by her and something she probably couldn’t have gotten away with if the book was more popular. Just imagine the outcry if a black director made Frodo Baggins or Harry Potter black :russ:

Agree with y’all that this was the wrong project for her to choose though. Haven’t seen it but it seems like it doesn’t play to her strengths as a director and there’s only so much you can do with a bad script
Then she should have just made all the characters white problem solved:manny:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Your Blavity Black ass always got some bullshyt say. The movie and the casting just looks trash:camby:
I am not defending the movie.

I am calling out simple simon weirdos like yourself.

and How come you didn't reply to my post in the Black Panther thread in the booth? You poked your chest out yet couldn't say shyt.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
I am not defending the movie.

I am calling out simple simon weirdos like yourself.

and How come you didn't reply to my post in the Black Panther thread in the booth? You poked your chest out yet couldn't say shyt.
What the fukk:mjlol:

I generally called out Your dumbass and a few other dumbasses for shytting on KM like a bunch of We sick ninjas

It’s foolish continuesly debating a ninja who thinks black men are the white people of black people.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
What the fukk:mjlol:

I generally called out Your dumbass and a few other dumbasses for shytting on KM like a bunch of We sick ninjas

It’s foolish continuesly debating a ninja who thinks black men are the white people of black people.
Because you are a simple simon dude who don’t see nuance.

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
Ehhhhh, the excuse for making the dad white simply because you didn't want to portray a black man abandoning his family is a bit weak simply because the film is an adaptee.

The main character's parents both share the same occupation so switching the roles where the mother left instead would have probably been more interesting anyway.

Also, there needs to be consistent casting. You have one biracial character with a white father and black mother (I guess?) but then her little brother is white and Asian. Like I know Brandy's version of Cinderella purposely mixed the races for fun but for a film taking its roles seriously it's not hard to get people of the same ethnicity to perform as a family. They think we're blind I guess? But whatever.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Ehhhhh, the excuse for making the dad white simply because you didn't want to portray a black man abandoning his family is a bit weak simply because the film is an adaptee.

The main character's parents both share the same occupation so switching the roles where the mother left instead would have probably been more interesting anyway.

Also, there needs to be consistent casting. You have one biracial character with a white father and black mother (I guess?) but then her little brother is white and Asian. Like I know Brandy's version of Cinderella purposely mixed the races for fun but for a film taking its roles seriously it's not hard to get people of the same ethnicity to perform as a family. They think we're blind I guess? But whatever.

The absentee father is the PERCEPTION. It's not literal.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Then she should have just made all the characters white problem solved:manny:

True, and like I said this was the wrong movie for her to choose. But my overall point is that whether y’all are trolling or not, using this movie as evidence of Ava being a c00n when her past films and interviews suggest the complete opposite is unfair.

Code

Banned
Daps
2. She said she turned down black panther because she felt it should be directed by a black man. She wanted to do a movie about a black woman. Which is true.

Thats a lie, she said it was because she wanted it to feel like an "Ava Duvernay film"

Obviously shes coppin pleas now that she flopped