"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
So no one wants to support a black director, of a blockbuster movie? You can't pick and chose. The protagonist is black in the movie. It doesn't matter about the rest of the cast. That's like saying you won't see Alice in Wonderland with a black director, black Alice but most of the rest of the cast is white.

As for the book, it's generally a book that young geeky girls love because Meg (protagonist) is brilliant, stubborn and awkward. It's really a book for them and what are now "Blerd girls" loved it growing up. It's really a book for the, from a time when there weren't many books for them. It's a difficult book to adapt into film because it shifts tones and genres at the drop of a dime. It's part Narnia, part Encyclopedia Brown/Nancy Drew, a little Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn. Overall, it's about nonconformity, and a girl's love for her father. But among the book, you sometimes lose that.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
So no one wants to support a black director, of a blockbuster movie? You can't pick and chose. The protagonist is black in the movie. It doesn't matter about the rest of the cast. That's like saying you won't see Alice in Wonderland with a black director, black Alice but most of the rest of the cast is white.

As for the book, it's generally a book that young geeky girls love because Meg (protagonist) is brilliant, stubborn and awkward. It's really a book for them and what are now "Blerd girls" loved it growing up. It's really a book for the, from a time when there weren't many books for them. It's a difficult book to adapt into film because it shifts tones and genres at the drop of a dime. It's part Narnia, part Encyclopedia Brown/Nancy Drew, a little Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn. Overall, it's about nonconformity, and a girl's love for her father. But among the book, you sometimes lose that.
Nice try, But you're not going to guilt us into supporting the swirl movement:umad:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
i think this is gonna be the "last" movie that critics will shy away from. They overrated Wonder Woman b/c female director/hero, they overrated Black Panther b/c black hero/director (slightly, relax) and i doubt they're gonna attack a huge blockbuster directed by a black woman even if it sucks... but once the smoke clears, they'll go back to "normal."

call me a racist, call me a Trump voting SJW hater, but let's be real, I didn't say anything crazy there.

feel free to give me the "this dude's racist" smileys though

I’m gonna underrate this post for you trying to sneak in that bullshyt :camby:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Dude, no one wants to deal with internet backlash right now. Give it a year and critics will be back to nitpicking "representation" films. You ever read Twitter replies? This is not the best movie ever made in the genre.

But go ahead tell me I'm a racist who hates the movie, whatever. It's a very good movie

Wonder Woman can eat a dikk though. That's "solid, I guess"

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
R.I.P to her stepfather, But is this how bad it's gotten to where they're using real death for sympathy buys.:hhh:
I mean she shouldn't have used the "they'll be fine about 100 mill" line. Don't blackball yourself Ava :whoa: Black Panther making loot should help out with it if Disney loses cash on this tho.

However, she might just be keeping it real. Its a weird ass movie that she dug, but might be too weird for others :manny:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
$100m's you'll be good.:deadrose::deadmanny:

Damn, she doesn't seem to have confidence either. :why:
Yea she shoulda kept that one. :francis:

Disney's had movies/flops before. Don't hurt the product before the audience gets to judge.
Now Iger/Disney would look at her like :gucci: at doing Star Wars or Black Panther 2 (if Coogler does something else)

Even though the issue seems to be she chose one of the hardest books to turn to a film :snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Damn..

Sorry for her loss. Also acknowledging its not that good.

Man I love and applaud her fearlessness....

And I know she’s good with Oprah and the Black Hollywood elite, but you can’t drop “they’ll be fine” quote without some SERIOUS mainstream cred behind your name. Only Spielberg or Cameron can say shyt like that and get away with it.

I’m gonna DEFINTELY buy a ticket to support now. I don’t care if the movie is a complete dud on all levels. She showed true courage with that quote

lotteryplaya

Winning a big lottery jackpot is my dream.
Daps
R.I.P to her stepfather, But is this how bad it's gotten to where they're using real death for sympathy buys.:hhh:
Somebody mentioned the Zack Snyder death in the family situation but like you said people will care about the quality of the product over everything when it's time to spend money on a ticket.