A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
I'll give you that....but the fact that garlan was chosen to lead the attack on Stannis says a lot.
That he's a good commander?
Also, I'm assuming that when discussing the best swordsmen we're referring to duels on foot. A knight's role in battle is heavy cavalry. They fight armored, on horseback, and with a lance. Duels and large scale battles don't really overlap that much. A great knight might not necesarily be a great duelist, and vice-versa.
Bronn HAS to be at least top 15 to have survived this long he might have the most battles we actually read instead of just hear about.
Bronn is at the very top. He's stated by Tyrion to be almost as good as Jaime with a sword. And his feat of defeating a fully trained and armored knight while he himself was fighting unarmored is as of yet unrivaled in the series, with the exception of Oberyn Martell, who fought with a poisoned spear.

edit:
I'm not really sure Garlan even led the attack on Stannis. We know he was on the front line because he wore Renly's green armor to scare the shyt out of Stannis' troops, but I'm not sure if he actually led the attack.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
What really fukks up these rankings is Victarion Greyjoy now. Even though he's not a swordsmen. That new arm he got is straight up HAX brehs.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
I hope Victarion's gonna beat that old fukk Barristan and throw him in the pool sea.:lolbron:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
:russ: Knowing dumbass Vic Greyjoy, that could happen.

Selmy aint gon go out like that :rudy:.

I stand by my Garlan Tyrell nomination, but i see the argument. We don't really know, but dude is not to be fukked with from his rep. Like i said though nikkas tragically failed for not adding Khal Drogo to that list, dude for all we know was the best pound for pound out right FIGHTER in Essos...if he woulda got over the narrow sea i think it woulda been curtains. Dorne woulda turned up for Dany, prolly some other kingdoms too.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

I stand by my Garlan Tyrell nomination, but i see the argument. We don't really know, but dude is not to be fukked with from his rep. Like i said though nikkas tragically failed for not adding Khal Drogo to that list, dude for all we know was the best pound for pound out right FIGHTER in Essos...if he woulda got over the narrow sea i think it woulda been curtains. Dorne woulda turned up for Dany, prolly some other kingdoms too.

I recognize Khal Drogo :whew: I really wanted him to come over to Westeros and fukk shyt up. Reason I didn't add him to the list was because he uses an Arakh? A scythe-like weapon or scythe/sword. I was just going strictly by swords.

Which is also why I left out nikkas like Red Viper off the list (poison user and crowning moment was with a spear).

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I recognize Khal Drogo :whew: I really wanted him to come over to Westeros and fukk shyt up. Reason I didn't add him to the list was because he uses an Arakh? A scythe-like weapon or scythe/sword. I was just going strictly by swords.

Which is also why I left out nikkas like Red Viper off the list (poison user and crowning moment was with a spear).

An arahk was just a curved sword...think like a reverse Scimitar or saber....still a sword.

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny

one arrow or crossbow bolt to his unarmored and he's dropping from his horse like a sack of bricks

his old school tactics won't do too well in a new school world

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
one arrow or crossbow bolt to his unarmored and he's dropping from his horse like a sack of bricks

Damn, I forgot the Dothraki don't even use no kind of protective gear. They don't even carry shields. :dwillhuh:

Westeros knights wouldn't even have to meet them on the field just shower them with spears and arrows.:damn:

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
Damn, I forgot the Dothraki don't even use no kind of protective gear. They don't even carry shields. :dwillhuh:

Westeros knights wouldn't even have to meet them on the field just shower them with spears and arrows.:damn:

valar morghulis my friend... all men must die

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

it was brought up IN the books breh...Dothraki wouldn't attack the castles...they would attack the fields, the small towns, the fishing villages. Cutting off supplies and morale for the Great Houses. The people would cry out to be saved from this rampage (just like when the Mountain was going dumb in the riverlands) and when they don't answer because Dothraki are gonna out fight you....its curtains...

there aren't many crossbows in Westeros because they are slow and cumbersome, and take too long to reload. and Anguy and Theon Greyjoy are two of the only actual archers we see, leads me to think archery isn't a big thing in westeros like that...

and the Dothraki have arrows too...

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Yoren showed us why crossbows aren't in very high use when cut down that one cat while he was reloading

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Breh's i need to know,i re-watched season one and gonna watch season 2 as well the next week but does Arya's dire wolf come back to her eventually?

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Breh's i need to know,i re-watched season one and gonna watch season 2 as well the next week but does Arya's dire wolf come back to her eventually?

nah hasn't happened yet in the books and we woulda known if her direwolf died since they see through their eyes every once in a while