A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
I think this is a factor too. I don't speak on it as much because it's hard to gauge the extent of it

For as great as the books are there is a part of me that thinks George fell into his indulgence a bit too much

I love Feast for Crows but he kinda fukked up:mjlol: that book introduces and sets up enough shyt for 4 more books:mjlol: :huhldup:

All that Greyjoy shyt could be a book series on its own and I think Euron has an ENORMOUS role in the coming books. Then you still got Dorne, Griff, Cersei, the army of the dead ,etc. It's a lot

And the show does a decent job of it because of the leniency of TV pacing, but I don't see how George gets Dany out of the east and to Westeros in two books, and I think George is feeling the same way
The shyt with Euron and the magic armor was a real departure from anything GRRM has done in this series, and I was like “what the fukk is he gonna do with this shyt?” But also wanted to inject it into my veins, give me more of that *pause*

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
I don't think Martin is influenced by fan theories because he refuses to read them. I'm sure fans have verbally told him theories that made him think "that's interesting" but overall the longer this goes the longer it's clear how meticulous he is as a writer/planner. Yes he has described himself as a gardener type writer, but even the earliest books have clear foreshadowing or introductions that come to fruition books later (ie he planted the seeds). I was watching a theory vid recently that pointed out Marwyn The Mage is not only referenced in the first book, he is brought up to Dany. And now he's traveling to meet her. I had totally forgotten that he was established in the first book. Somewhat connected to that, in the second book there's a reference to "Urrathon Night-Walker" reporting that glass candles have activated...and the theory that he's almost certainly Euron Greyjoy.

He's really good at what he does. For years I was tuned out of all book related stuff. I watched GoT but stopped looked at theories. I remember when the Grand Northern Conspiracy came out and that shyt was so exciting. But that was almost a decade ago. Same with some of the other theories that emerged from ADWD, like the Stannis/Night Lamp theory on how he'll defeat the Freys. House Of The Dragon inspired me to get back into theories. But man...knowing the book probably won't come out next year will likely kill my excitement again.
Same with HoD’s, I had fully moved on, on some fukk this shyt, I’m never going back, I even watched the first episode of HoD and left it alone, I didn’t think it was great at first, but then my wife really wanted to watch it, so I caved, and was happy I did. They really resuscitated the series with how well they did it. The new mistborn book comes out next week, and I just finished a relisten of the series in preparation, last week, so I said fukk it and decided to redo Fire & Blood. I forgot how addicting the Planetos can be. On another note, I just want to shout out my favorite author in the genre, Tad Williams, his shyt is not for everybody, but that’s my goat, and if anybody is looking for a series and has some time, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorne is goated imo, and he ran it back a few years ago with “The Last king of Osten Ard” series taking place about 25/30 years later

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
I tried to start reading Fire & Blood now that the first season is done and that shyt is dry as hell to me. I'm like 100-150 pages in and I can't pick it back up. It just makes me want to go back to ACOK. I just ordered The Rise of the Dragon though, so hopefully the illustrations make it easier to slog through.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I tried to start reading Fire & Blood now that the first season is done and that shyt is dry as hell to me. I'm like 100-150 pages in and I can't pick it back up. It just makes me want to go back to ACOK. I just ordered The Rise of the Dragon though, so hopefully the illustrations make it easier to slog through.
Definitely a slog but if can, try the audiobook. Doing it in 15-20 minutes at a time going to work it was super easy to digest.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
:mjcry::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:
Whiskey Jack, why the fukk you didn't just get that leg fixed? Anomandor, why you gotta be everything to everybody? Geslar and Stormy, why couldn't yall have just retire? Beak...........The most tragic, to me[d/SPOILER]
and not a candle left to light :mjcry:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The shyt with Euron and the magic armor was a real departure from anything GRRM has done in this series, and I was like “what the fukk is he gonna do with this shyt?” But also wanted to inject it into my veins, give me more of that *pause*
Euron wasn't a departure, he was a natural escalation

Starting with Clash Of Kings magic is being sought out or encountered, and is setting up to make its way back to Westeros. Dany meeting warlocks, Bran, beginning his journey North, Sam encountering the dead etc.

Euron was just ahead of the curve:manny: basically y'all out here bullshyttin and just discovering all this weird shyt while I've been traveling the world leveling up skills and powers like an RPG character:mjlol: Really Euron is just a younger version of Bloodraven if you think about it

When you add up all the elements it looks like Grrm is setting up a version of the Doom Of Valeria in Westeros. At the very least all signs point to a giant magic/sorcery fukkery apocalypse

When I think back to the show and how apocalyptic Kings Landing looked after Dany burned it I believe it looks like that for a lot more reasons than just Dany in the book

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Very curious how her story goes. Doubt the show is what Martin had in mind.
The book foreshadows a lot of Cersei's actions in the show but the the show version lacks finesse

The books end with Cersei's walk of shame and her being a "different" person. By the end of Dance With Dragons Cersei is born again and jubilant and positive

Because this is Cersei you would have a natural :patrice: but if Cersei stayed in that character right up until blowing up the Sept that would've been:whew:

Last edited:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
The book foreshadows a lot of Cersei's actions in the show but the the show version lacks finesse

The books wnd with Cersei's walk of shame and her being a "different" person. By the end of Dance With Dragons Cersei is born again and jubilant and positive

Because this is Cersei you would have a natural :patrice: but if Cersei stayed in that character right up until blowing up the Red Keep that would've been:whew:
Are saying that the Sept doesn't blow up in winds of winter because I still think it does, you still have to get rid of the faith militant

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are saying that the Sept doesn't blow up in winds of winter because I still think it does, you still have to get rid of the faith militant
No that ain't what I said:russ:

My point is in the show Cersei remained the same Cersei after the walk of shame. That makes her blowing up the Sept less shocking than what the book was foreshadowing

In the book you would have this period of "born again" Cersei but deep down she's plotting to get her revenge