A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Time for everyone to get on the Malazan Brooks of the Fallen wave to. Two writers, a finishen main series of ten books by one of them, a seven book series written by the other one and both are writing trilogies in the same universe now :wow: we talked about it in this thread before
Been meaning to get on that

Sounds OD to me tho. I'm cautious about entering series now, I think some are written because the previous ones sold, not because the writer has more to say

17 books and counting breh? Are they all really that good?

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
Been meaning to get on that

Sounds OD to me tho. I'm cautious about entering series now, I think some are written because the previous ones sold, not because the writer has more to say

17 books and counting breh? Are they all really that good?
I'm on the third book by Esslemont, read the ten by Eriksson twice, these ten are good at least, Esslemonts writing isn't really on par with Erikssons so far but so far quite enjoyable, the fact that he continues storylines and characters that were abandoned in the main books (I call them main but since they created the world together all of them are canon) plays a big role in that too. But I would say start with Gardens of the Moon and see if you like it, the ten books form a complete story, but if you're like me and crave more Malazan after that:blessed: it's there

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Good point, I have to remind myself I'm not obligated to finish a series

Is gardens of the moon the first one or just the best jumping off point?

And as long as GRRM is never giving us more to read, I recommend The Entropy of Bones for anyone into urban fantasy. Just finished, very dope

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
It's the first one by Eriksson, chronologically I think Night of Knives by Esslemont precedes it but you won't miss any vital information. Be prepared to get right in the middle of the action breh:takedat:

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet
Since we ar making recommendations, I'll go ahead and throw out the storm light archive by Brandon Sanderson. I've been hoping that grrm would give his notes over to Sanderson and ask him to finish the asoiaf series. This dude is the truth.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Since we ar making recommendations, I'll go ahead and throw out the storm light archive by Brandon Sanderson. I've been hoping that grrm would give his notes over to Sanderson and ask him to finish the asoiaf series. This dude is the truth.

Storm light archives are really good. Also Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy.

I'm over GRRM.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Time for everyone to get on the Malazan Brooks of the Fallen wave to. Two writers, a finishen main series of ten books by one of them, a seven book series written by the other one and both are writing trilogies in the same universe now :wow: we talked about it in this thread before
I have a friend who's a writer, even self published a short story on Amazon. Dude is one of the smartest people I know. He said he made it half way through Gardens and just put it down. He says it's incredibly hard to follow and he has to basically go to TOR after each chapter and read a synopsis of whatever he just read. He said whenever he reads the synopsis, he always finds that he missed something or didn't pick up on something while reading it. He said he still enjoyed it and planned to finish it......I told him I'd pass. That just did not sound like a fun read. I can do without that in my life.

Storm light archives are really good. Also Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy.

I'm over GRRM.
I read the first Night Angel book. It just didn't do it for me. Usually a book about assassins and magic blades are right up my alley, but I don't know what it was. I didn't complete the rest of the trilogy after reading the first book. I might come back to it later.

I'm halfway through the second book of the Stormlight Archive at the moment. The first book was solid, and the second book has been pretty slow for the most part. So far I'm finding Stormlight to be mad overhyped. But I do realize that Sanderson has a long way to go with this story since he is only 2 books into a long series. So I'm still looking forward to the other books.

Last edited:

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
I have a friend who's a writer, even self published a short story on Amazon. Dude is one of the smartest people I know. He said he made it half way through Gardens and just put it down. He says it's incredibly hard to follow and he has to basically go to TOR after each chapter and read a synopsis of whatever he just read. He said whenever he reads the synopsis, he always finds that he missed something or didn't pick up on something while reading it. He said he still enjoyed it and planned to finish it......I told him I'd pass. That just did not sound like a fun read. I can do without that in my life.
Well it kinda is something that grips you or not:yeshrug: you're thrown right in the middle of a quite complex situation right from the get go, so I can understand if people feel it's too much. I think Eriksson alludes to it in the preface of Gardens, something like people love or hate his writing right away. I never felt like looking up synopsis though.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I'm at 50% of Gardens of the Moon. Almost gave up a bunch of times and now I think I'm sticking with it. Still clueless to wtf is going on though.

Last edited:

Saiyajin

Superstar
Daps
tried reading the first one but im fukkin lost bruh

wtf is a warren

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
AaGq3yp.gif

yooooo:cottonhomie: