A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Great episode, especially compared to the shyt show Episode 1 was. Nitpicking:

1)Why is Davos riding so hard for Jon?

I think Davos is pragmatic and knows that the Walkers are the biggest threat to the realm (he's the one who brought the letter to Stannis in the first place). So with Stannis gone, the mission remains to stop the walkers and the best/only bet to defend against them is Jon Snow.

2)How quickly did Davos get over Stannis death, the loss at Winterfell and the sacrifice leading to it?

Can't wait for next Sunday.

I think you answer the first part with the last part. Davos knows Stannis lost his way because of the sacrifice of Shireen. I think that frustration coupled with the fact that he really hasn't had time to mourn since everything happened so quickly is the reason he's seemed alright. I'm interested to see his interaction with Brienne if they meet though, that'll be interesting.

Saiyajin

Superstar
Daps
gnbcK4y.jpg

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Great episode, especially compared to the shyt show Episode 1 was. Nitpicking:

1)Why is Davos riding so hard for Jon?
2)How quickly did Davos get over Stannis death, the loss at Winterfell and the sacrifice leading to it?

Can't wait for next Sunday.
He still out here for #Stannisset, dawg. The north ain't the only folk that remember, breh

yeahisaidit

All Star
Daps
It makes sense for Roose to be killed by Ramsey. He's the only one that's able to get close enough. I'm sure book Roose would sense something going on and put up an actual fight, but it won't matter. House Bolton will be extinguished when it's all over.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
There's a response to most of that but I'm too lazy to write it since I can't quote the text and I'm on my phone

The burning of Stannis' camp is a good point though, that whole march on winterell was so sloppy, especially because it's done so well in the books

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Brehs so since we gonna most likely see that r + L = j on Sunday, I guess the only question that remains is how will this be communicated to Jon in the show?

I think it's gonna go from bloodraven to bran to Mel to davos. Davos the only person I can see who would find this out and almost instantly know the ramifications. "you're Jon targaryen! That means u are the rightful king of the 7 kingdoms!"

... at least that's my hope

Now will Jon accept this responsibility? Maybe not. Probably won't even survive. But I do think at least in the show he will find out he's a king and a targaryen.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
Brehs so since we gonna most likely see that r + L = j on Sunday, I guess the only question that remains is how will this be communicated to Jon in the show?

I think it's gonna go from bloodraven to bran to Mel to davos. Davos the only person I can see who would find this out and almost instantly know the ramifications. "you're Jon targaryen! That means u are the rightful king of the 7 kingdoms!"

... at least that's my hope

Now will Jon accept this responsibility? Maybe not. Probably won't even survive. But I do think at least in the show he will find out he's a king and a targaryen.

I'm still on the fence about Jon being a T...its too easy, and he doesn't look like one.

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
I'm still on the fence about Jon being a T...its too easy, and he doesn't look like one.
I wish I wasn't so lazy but I think in The World of Ice and Fire book we see that sometimes people with parents who aren't both Targs can wind up looking like the non-Targ parent. I think Rhagear's daughter Rhaenys had her mother's black hair instance.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
:heh: R+L=J is too easy now

it's been embedded in book readers' conversations for so long that we all take it for granted. i'm sure it took several re-reads of the books for people to start putting it together.

also, i think this coming episode will end with "now it ends" (martin suggested that double entendre :troll: ), and episode 4 will start with the actual fight and go into the beginnings of R+L=J

we're a long way off and dany is still nowhere near westeros, while the theory will prove to be true, there's a lot of detail we're missing. martin would not have implicitly confirmed it as true if it were just gonna ruin the entire story

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

I wish I wasn't so lazy but I think in The World of Ice and Fire book we see that sometimes people with parents who aren't both Targs can wind up looking like the non-Targ parent. I think Rhagear's daughter Rhaenys had her mother's black hair instance.

In the dunk and egg series there's a targaryen with brown hair that has a Dornish mother I believe. I think his name was baelor breakspear but I might be wrong.
:heh: R+L=J is too easy now

it's been embedded in book readers' conversations for so long that we all take it for granted. i'm sure it took several re-reads of the books for people to start putting it together.

also, i think this coming episode will end with "now it ends" (martin suggested that double entendre :troll: ), and episode 4 will start with the actual fight and go into the beginnings of R+L=J

we're a long way off and dany is still nowhere near westeros, while the theory will prove to be true, there's a lot of detail we're missing. martin would not have implicitly confirmed it as true if it were just gonna ruin the entire story

Maybe they might rush the Jon thing just so they could keep the targaryen vs targaryen conflict since aegon doesn't exist on the show. Season could end with Jon finding out who he is and Dany getting ready to finally set sail to westeros.

I love being as blind as show watchers right now man. Anything could happen and I can't wait to see what does :blessed:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
In the dunk and egg series there's a targaryen with brown hair that has a Dornish mother I believe. I think his name was baelor breakspear but I might be wrong.

Maybe they might rush the Jon thing just so they could keep the targaryen vs targaryen conflict since aegon doesn't exist on the show. Season could end with Jon finding out who he is and Dany getting ready to finally set sail to westeros.

I love being as blind as show watchers right now man. Anything could happen and I can't wait to see what does :blessed:
i'd even say baelor breakspear looks like jon snow with short hair :jbhmm:

your post got me :mjcry: on how baelor coulda been one of the GOATs, half martell, half targaryen and not from sickly Elia :francis: he ultimately died for Egg to become the man he needed to be to take over the throne :salute:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
If an episode description leaks again I might have to read the end at least:patrice:

Mainly because I dont want to wait for 50 minutes for "promise me Ned" only to find out they stop the flashback after Arthur Dayne dies

Them expectations are a bytch and I just want to enjoy the scene