A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Not yet, I'll check it out tonight.
I keep posting about this drunk on ice and fire podcast, yall should check it out, it's pretty entertaining.
Yeah check it out, it says a lot of stuff we've tossed around here but goes deeper, dubiously at times but it's fun to consider it

I'll peep that podcast

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
Yo.....what if Daznak's Pit tonight ends before Drogon comes in? Like when Castle Black ended before Jon talked to Mance :pachaha:

The Episode 10 description "Dany is surrounded by strangers"....what if that isn't referring to the Dothraki and instead is referring to the Harpies that are still surrounding her in Daznak :pachaha:

Like how ADWD ended right when shyt was about to start popping off everywhere :bryan:

Those fukkboys on reddit would crush servers with all their crying posts about how much the show sucks :bryan:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
What do you guys think changing Jeyne to Sansa does for Theon's character?
I always took her as a parallel to Theon in that Reek and Jeyne had to remember their fake names (and she still has to lie about who she is) to be useful to Ramsay which showed how disposable the common person was and Theon risking it all to save her was more poignant because it's something the old Theon fantasized about, being the sauve, velvet dressed, dashing hero but not for pure reasons and even though he wasn't some ironborn savage because he was disgusted with what they did he still wouldn't have given much of a thought to the common person but in the decrepit state he was in he did just that.
(It also helps that she used to crush on him)
But now because it's Sansa it turns into broken man who betrayed the Starks risking it to save a part of them/partially for redemption which is good but I don't know how good.
And it being Sansa can either take away from some of her agency by being saved again or take away from Theons heroics in some way.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
What do you guys think changing Jeyne to Sansa does for Theon's character?
I always took her as a parallel to Theon in that Reek and Jeyne had to remember their fake names (and she still has to lie about who she is) to be useful to Ramsay which showed how disposable the common person was and Theon risking it all to save her was more poignant because it's something the old Theon fantasized about, being the sauve, velvet dressed, dashing hero but not for pure reasons and even though he wasn't some ironborn savage because he was disgusted with what they did he still wouldn't have given much of a thought to the common person but in the decrepit state he was in he did just that.
(It also helps that she used to crush on him)
But now because it's Sansa it turns into broken man who betrayed the Starks risking it to save a part of them/partially for redemption which is good but I don't know how good.
And it being Sansa can either take away from some of her agency by being saved again or take away from Theons heroics in some way.

You are mis-characterizing (is that a word?) and underestimating Jeyne Poole

She isn't some common person. She was Sansa's best friend. She traveled with Sansa to King's Landing. She was thrown in prison along with all the other Stark associates that survived. She was sold to Littlefinger who then sold her to Roose Bolton

This changes very little about Theon's arc. In fact, it is probably a necessary change in order for his 'redemption' to be believable. Without the benefit of inner monologue, him saving a show Jeyne Poole may not seem as dramatic for a non-book reader.

As a Theon stan, you should be be happy about the change.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
You are mis-characterizing (is that a word?) and underestimating Jeyne Poole

She isn't some common person. She was Sansa's best friend. She traveled with Sansa to King's Landing. She was thrown in prison along with all the other Stark associates that survived. She was sold to Littlefinger who then sold her to Roose Bolton

This changes very little about Theon's arc. In fact, it is probably a necessary change in order for his 'redemption' to be believable. Without the benefit of inner monologue, him saving a show Jeyne Poole may not seem as dramatic for a non-book reader.

As a Theon stan, you should be be happy about the change.
I know that the Sansa change was necessary and I like the desperate dynamic it brings and yes Jeyne Poole wasn't just some girl but she was still someone Theon has to tell to lie about who she is in order to survive which is much different then saving the daughter of Ned Stark.
Like I said I like this as a separate piece, but I still believe bok Theon's arc with Jeyne is more powerful than with Sansa and I preferred how it was Theon coming into his own rather than being pushed by Jeyne in the way that Sansa is doing with which is better fanboy material for me.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
umm guys, i'm hearing that

they are gonna burn shireen tonight

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown