A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
If you're a reaaallllly realllllly big history dork like I am, you might this site fun. It talks about the similarities between the War of the Roses and ASOIF. GRMM has said the War of the Roses influenced ASOIF. I've studied the War of the Roses, think about ASOIF like all the time and was still too stupid to put themes to historical events and characters.

http://history-behind-game-of-thrones.com/category/warofroses

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I just finished the books brehs! About to read the advanced chapters to Winds of Winter.
As far as world building this is the best shyt ever! The detail is phenomenal! Seriously, they could tell countless stories from the past and the future practically infinitely. We could eat like forever!:wow:

You got so much more reading to do beyond that too :wow:

The amount of theories out there :wow:

Check out Westeros.org "A Compendium of Theories".....check the all time top rated threads at Reddit.com/r/asoiaf.....read this whole damn thread......keep exploring various forums and discussions....you are gonna be eating for another 6 months:eat:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
You got so much more reading to do beyond that too :wow:

The amount of theories out there :wow:

Check out Westeros.org "A Compendium of Theories".....check the all time top rated threads at Reddit.com/r/asoiaf.....read this whole damn thread......keep exploring various forums and discussions....you are gonna be eating for another 6 months:eat:

Let me read the advance chapters and I'm on it!

FatherSimp

Enough white hoes to last me thru ATL
Daps
Halfway thru World of Ice and Fire and man the andals gave zero fukks :wow:

Swept thru The Children of the Forest and The First Men like nothing :wow:

Shout out those Kings Of Winter though :blessed:

And Ser Twyin :whew:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
@Adam3000

Since you were the TV thread's official go-to nikka for this kind of stuff, gonna ask you a question.

If Jon is indeed Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, would his claim on the Iron Throne be stronger than Dany's even though he is a b*stard? I know it isn't as strong as Aegon's.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Link^^^^?

Love checking out theories

Westeros.Org Compendium of Theories
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109496-a-compendium-of-theories-v2/
--First post links to discussions about various popular theories.

Reddit ASOIAF top links
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/top/
--The most 'upvoted' threads from that reddit forum. Not all theories, but if you search the first few pages you will find some very interesting discussions

For anyone new to ASOIAF theories lemme drop some quick info:

Theories generally accepted to be true based on textual evidence, narrative context, or other evidence such as interviews:
--Parentage of Jon Snow
--The Hound is alive and is the gravedigger that Brienne meets on the Quiet Isle
--Jaquen Hagar is the "Alchemist" from the AFFC prologue, and assumes the body of Pate in the epilogue
--Alleras the Sphinx in the Citadel is Sarella Sand
--Bloodraven from Dunk & Egg is the Three Eyed Crow (100% confirmed)
--The Mountain is reanimated by Qyburn as Ser Robert Strong (confirmed by Season 5 of GOT)
--Euron Greyjoy hired a Faceless Man to kill Balon Greyjoy (possibly paid with his dragon egg)

Some popular theories that aren't proven but have tons of discussion:
--Who is Coldhands (he is not Benjen Stark)
--Where is Benjen Stark
--Is Aegon aka Young Griff actually a Blackfyre descendent? (need to read Dunk&Egg for more Blackfyre context)
--What does Jaquen Hagar/The Facless Men want in with the key they stole from Pate to the Citadel?
--Great Northern Conspiracy
--Southron Ambitions
--Was Lyanna Stark the Knight of the Laughing Tree?
--What actually happened at the Tower of Joy?
--What happened to Ashara Dayne?
--Does the tale of the Knight's King have anything to do with current or future book events?
--Who poisoned the locusts? Who is the harpy?

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
@Adam3000

Since you were the TV thread's official go-to nikka for this kind of stuff, gonna ask you a question.

If Jon is indeed Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, would his claim on the Iron Throne be stronger than Dany's even though he is a b*stard? I know it isn't as strong as Aegon's.

The b*stard question is the million dollar question

There is a chance that he is not a b*stard first of all. The Targaryen's practiced polygamy deep in the past. There is a theory that Rhaegar and Lyanna married on the Isle Of Faces in front of the order of the Green Men and the Weirwoods. This doesn't have a ton of actual textual evidence, but it has narrative context and GRRM has been very coy about how the Isle of Faces/Green Men play into the story. They are there for a reason.

If they did marry, his claim may not be legitimate in the eyes of the Faith since they denounce polygamy, but it would certainly be legitimate in the eyes of the North and many others. In that case, his claim would be above Dany's but below Aegons (I don't believe Aegon is the son of Rhaegar, but the people and the Faith won't know that).

If Jon is a b*stard though, his claim is almost certainly not there. There is precedent for male's jumping over "higher ranking" female heirs due to the laws enacted after the first Dance of Dragons, but not for b*stards.

I don't think that Jon's narrative purpose is to become king. The whole 'b*stard to king' storyline is about as basic as it comes in fantasy, and I think GRRM will avoid that trope. He will tease it and go another route. Perhaps Jon will be the king of the North only and rule alongside King Stannis in the south :branelf:

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
I second the comment on the world building. There's so much history there. No disrespect to the god Tolkien but, they could legit still be telling GRRM stories 100 years from now. I'm talking 10, 20, 30 movies, tv shows, multiple book series etc. It could be the fantasy version of Star Wars.
  • First Men vs. Andals
  • Robert's Rebellion
  • Dunk and Egg
  • The Dance of Dragons
  • Blackfyre Rebellion
  • The Reynes of Castamere
  • The Mad King (before Robert's Rebellion, how he went crazy)
  • The Young Dragon (Daeron) and Baelor the Blessed (:heh:)
  • Valyria vs. The Rhoynish
  • Nymeria's Voyage (it's like Jason and the Argonauts basically)
  • The Long Night
  • The Ghiscari-Valyria Wars
  • The Doom of Valyria/Bravos beginning and their "role" in the Doom
  • Aegon IV (think all the decadence and fukkery surrounding Henry VIII but, worse :heh:)
  • Asshai, YiTi and the Kingdoms in the Jade Sea
  • Sothoros
The possibilities are endless man :mjcry:

Last edited:

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
Halfway thru World of Ice and Fire and man the andals gave zero fukks :wow:

Swept thru The Children of the Forest and The First Men like nothing :wow:

Shout out those Kings Of Winter though :blessed:

And Ser Twyin :whew:

If Steffon Baratheon never died I think Tywin and the King's relationship would never have gotten so strained. Reading about them I sorta picture them like Ned/Bob/Jon Arryn in their rebellion days