A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Torrhen Stark:pacspit:
I'm saying. I think Rickard might have had a little bytch in him too, with his southern ambitions, but
3062-17d1a66ae1dd183689be32233124d269.jpg

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
80% sure the Doom of Valyria has been solved

Copying the two passages in question from Reddit:

FROM A FEAST FOR CROWS

"All gods have their instruments, men and women who serve them and help to work their will on earth. The slaves were not crying out to a hundred different gods, as it seemed, but to one god with a hundred different faces...and he was that god's instrument. That very night he chose the most wretched of the slaves, the one had prayed most earnestly for release, and freed him from his bondage. The first gift had been given."

Arya drew back from him. "He killed the slave?" That did not sound right. "He should have killed the masters!"

"He would bring the gift to them as well...but that is a tale for another day, one best shared with no one."

FROM THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE AS TOLD BY MAESTER YEANDEL REGARDING WHAT CAUSED THE VOLCANOES TO ERUPT AND THE EARTH TO CRUMBLE

"Of these, some argue that it was the curse of Gerin the Great at last coming to fruition. Others speak of the priests of of R'hollor calling down the fire of their god in queer rituals. Some, wedding the fanciful notion of Valyrian magic to the reality of the ambitious great houses of Valyria, have argued that it was the constant whirl of conflict and deception amongst the amongst the great houses that might have led to the assassinations of too many of the reputed mages who renewed and maintained the rituals that banked the fires of the Fourteen Flames."

Eariler in the chapter it mentions that there were magicians in Valyria who kept the volcanoes at bay. If the bolded part turns out to be a correct account and not just misdirection, it would appear that the Faceless Men may have assassinated all of these magicians and the Valyrians could no longer keep the volcanoes at bay:ohhh:

:stylin:

DA_LURKA

#SovereignOfSolitude
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Strictly For My Lurkas...
80% sure the Doom of Valyria has been solved

Copying the two passages in question from Reddit:

Eariler in the chapter it mentions that there were magicians in Valyria who kept the volcanoes at bay. If the bolded part turns out to be a correct account and not just misdirection, it would appear that the Faceless Men may have assassinated all of these magicians and the Valyrians could no longer keep the volcanoes at bay:ohhh:

:stylin:
:pacspit:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
It makes perfect sense.

I thought it would've turned out to be something more.
I think the "more" that we didnt know is that the Valyrians used magic to keep the 14 Flames at bay. I never would have theorized that on my own despite the duh moment in hindsight. Upon reflection, building the greatest civilization the world has ever seen in the middle of 14 volcanoes and relying on crusty old maeges for protection wasnt the best choice.

If it turns out to be the correct answer, I will be satisfied. Fits with the Faceless Mens style and isnt too outlandish. I still think there may be an alternate explaination to come though involving dragon eggs somehow

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
got mine yesterday :blessed:

i wanted to bring it to work so i could read it here during downtime but shyt is too damn big :pachaha:

cant wait to dive in tho :ohlawd:

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Main books:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons

Novellas:
The Hedge Knight
The Sworn Sword
The Mystery Knight

Short Stories:
The Princess and the Queen

Lore books
Lands of Ice and Fire
The World of Ice and Fire

Is this the order we should read everything in?

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Is this the order we should read everything in?

u can read the novellas before the books if u want but in that order and the books in that order. everything else doesnt really matter. the princess and the queen and the novellas all happen way before the events of game of thrones.

the land and world of ice and fire are filled with history so u can read them before the books also if u want even though some of the things in it will make more sense after u read the books.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
so im 200 pages deep in ASOS :ehh:

i know you're supposed to see clearly the deep flaws in everyone's character and all that

but why did robb turn bytch so fast :why: breh married a girl after one night :snoop: and throws his literal other half in the bushes for it after grey wind proved he was down to ride?

and yeah i've seen the show so i know how this ends, and that makes it even worse. i dont remember the showing explaining why grey wind was caged up outside but now i get it :crymario: