A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

SkillClash

Banned
Daps
fukk one genre, George is the best fiction writer I have read period. Admittedly I don't care for fiction much so I am hardly an expert. But there is a reason I am hardly an expert...because most times I try and pick up a book and after a couple chapters I put it down for good.

I really wish I could read this "Fevre Dream" thats been sitting on my desk but I'm doing a Feast/Dance reread right now and it is gonna take me a while because I only read at night before bed for like a half an hour.
only 2 more books though in ice and fire and then its an end of an era

DA_LURKA

#SovereignOfSolitude
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Strictly For My Lurkas...
are you sure... i give tolkien credit for popularizing the fantasy genre, he didn't create it per say, but he made it popular and providing us rich lore

but the lotr and hobbit are almost cookie cutter fantasy tropes "good guy vs. bad guy" it doesn't have all those complex webs, characterization and storytelling the ice and fire books have

The Lord of the rings is great.

But I feel like it's like comparing Dr. Suess to lupe fiasco.

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
I see what they did with Tyrion's story

Remember in the book he leaves KL hating Jamie

But the show is playing up on their "bromance" and they may have their reasons in the future for them not parting ways in bad terms.
I just can't imagine Tyrion and Jamie would end the books hating each other or it would end with Tyrion killing Jamie or vice versa. Those two are basically the only close friends each other really has.

I know Tyrion admitted to killing Joffery which could piss Jamie off, but if that was such a big deal to Jamie he could have smacked little bro up with his golden hand and dragged him back to his cell. In fact in one of Jamie's chapters he said he didn't feel anything about Joffery's death at all.

I'm having a hard time remembering Tyrion's final chapters, but I feel like he doesn't stay enraged at Jamie all that long. He sort of settles down and turns to lamenting his lost love in Tysha and getting into self loathing for the killer he's become. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus they both ain't fukking with their sister anymore (Jamie literally, Tyrion figuratively). So yeah my speculation is that they just wind up reconciling anyway.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
fukk one genre, George is the best fiction writer I have read period. Admittedly I don't care for fiction much so I am hardly an expert. But there is a reason I am hardly an expert...because most times I try and pick up a book and after a couple chapters I put it down for good.

I really wish I could read this "Fevre Dream" thats been sitting on my desk but I'm doing a Feast/Dance reread right now and it is gonna take me a while because I only read at night before bed for like a half an hour.

As of now ASOIAF is also the best fiction series I've read and I've read a lot of fiction (maybe I'm not looking hard enough for the piff) but @Arianne Martell says ASOIAF ain't seeing Malazan Book of The Fallen which I have yet to read. The reviews on the first book of that series has me hesitant but I'll get to it once I finish reading Abercrombie books.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
best fiction for adults. Can't believe all the adults who read harry potter and Twilight.

Read Harry Potter as a kid and finished it as an adult but by that point I only did if for closure :scusthov: J.K. Rowling seriously fukked up with her main characters.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
This is lena headey's response after fans got mad at her for the Stone Heart picture. I love this woman.

article-2659867-1ED614AB00000578-464_306x742.jpg

raff

Rookie
Daps
This is lena headey's response after fans got mad at her for the Stone Heart picture. I love this woman.

article-2659867-1ED614AB00000578-464_306x742.jpg

You know what would be even more trollish? Jamie going to Dorne and in the show assuming the role of Arys Oakhart:wow:
That way I don't think we need Lady S, Blackfish and maybe Edmure :patrice::leostare:

Also with Hound stealing the signature move of Victarion I assume they gonna throw the latter to the bushes. My birds are telling me they want to steer Asha/Yara in the character of Vic :skip:. I mean its just dumb if they try to go that route.

Last edited:

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
IMO the Stannis at the wall scene was dope. Ya'll forgetting that this 100,00 wildling army was more of a 100,00 caravan with women, kids, sick, and elderly making up the majority of the caravan. And not all the men (and women) were fighters and even fewer were capable fighters. Throw in Stannis' calvary and it's a fukking slaughter that would be over very quickly. That last man running towards Stannis and got ran down by the horesman is the perfect display of what kind of chance those foot soldiers stood against a mounted force.

Yeah, they kind of dropped the ball with more giants and mammoths but that's when the budget comes into play. That scene was doper than most are giving it credit for.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
Not only that, but they had element of surprise on their side.

that scene did it's job as far as i'm concerned, people were cheering for Stannis.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
So another fan theory that seems to have some legs is that the new High Septon is actually Howland Reed. Reddit is blocked at work so I can't link it but google "Howland Reed High Septon"
Highlights-
High Septon is described as several inches shorter than Cersei. Howland Reed is also short.
His hair is knotted and pulled back and has strong, sharp features, same way Bran described Jojen and Meera when he 1st met them
Won't bless Tommen's rule yet, perhaps because he knows Jon is truly a Targaryen and rightfult heir to the throne
Brought up Ned's beheading at Baelor to Cersei