A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
I was geeked to see Cats vengeful transformation and her hunting Freys post red wedding, but I do see how that would be hard to transfer to the screen.

We dont even know how that shyt transpires in the books, she isnt a major storyline as she has no POV anymore.

I'm struggling to see how they're gonna do alot of stuff, especially when they have such tight budget constraints and have boxed themselves in with various story issues.

But still, I'm gonna be there first ep of next season!

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
after watching it again last night, i gotta say my biggest issue isnt even the tysha thing or the lack of LS. my biggest issue is stannis and his 2000 or so mounted men attacking whats supposed to be 100,000 wildlings and finishing that raid in like 5 minutes :pachaha:. how about instead of the fireballs and skeleton soldiers they put that money on more extras for that battle? the shyt looked cool but it had the potential to be amazing smh.

also the fireballs and skeletons. it would have been so much better and held so much more weight if they were attacked by just 1 white walker. have that nikka grab jojen from behind and stab him over and over, then have him attack the rest of them and have them saved by leaf shooting an obsidian arrow right at the white walker. it would have brought up the obsidian glass again and it would have looked even better. that fireball shyt was fukking garbage and im pissed cause im sounding like a westeros.org fakkit right now :dead:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
after watching it again last night, i gotta say my biggest issue isnt even the tysha thing or the lack of LS. my biggest issue is stannis and his 2000 or so mounted men attacking whats supposed to be 100,000 wildlings and finishing that raid in like 5 minutes :pachaha:. how about instead of the fireballs and skeleton soldiers they put that money on more extras for that battle? the shyt looked cool but it had the potential to be amazing smh.

also the fireballs and skeletons. it would have been so much better and held so much more weight if they were attacked by just 1 white walker. have that nikka grab jojen from behind and stab him over and over, then have him attack the rest of them and have them saved by leaf shooting an obsidian arrow right at the white walker. it would have brought up the obsidian glass again and it would have looked even better. that fireball shyt was fukking garbage and im pissed cause im sounding like a westeros.org fakkit right now :dead:

Notice no mammoths or giants in that cut. And Mance's army of 100 thousand strong Wildings get reduced to a platoon size in less than 3 minutes :dead:

But at least they didn't give it the "Rome" treatment. I half expected them to show Stannis riding towards the wall and the camera panning to his face and you hear screams and sword clashing, blurred images of nikkas fighting and the next scene showing Mance in chains.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

honestly breh, i would have rather they gave it the rome treatment for most of the battle and then show a battered and bruised mance at the very end surrendering to stannis. give some indication of a long drawn out battle.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
honestly breh, i would have rather they gave it the rome treatment for most of the battle and then show a battered and bruised mance at the very end surrendering to stannis. give some indication of a long drawn out battle.

:patrice:

HBO is doing pretty good with a series so big though. Sometimes I wonder if it would fare better as a series of movies when it comes to battles but then so much more would be cut out and then I think maybe it would be better animated but it wouldn't be as popular and then it would get canceled. :to:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
:patrice:

HBO is doing pretty good with a series so big though. Sometimes I wonder if it would fare better as a series of movies when it comes to battles but then so much more would be cut out and then I think maybe it would be better animated but it wouldn't be as popular and then it would get canceled. :to:

yea the series gonna do numbers regardless. and im gonna watch regardless :pachaha:. i agree with u that it should be animated. im hoping we get a really good animated series out of it that covers things like the dance of dragons, dunk and egg, bloodraven's story, and even the conquest and robert's rebellion if we never get the movies.

as far as that scene tho, if they woulda gave it the rome treatment, and then end it off with an attack on the last fighting wildlings and thenns surrounding mance and then a quick stannis vs mance scene where stannis disarms mance and then jon saves him before stannis takes his head off :banderas: :banderas: :banderas: that woulda worked so much better.

i know i know i should stfu im not a producer :heh: but this shyt played out so much doper in my head :to:

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
I can't say this was a bad episode but I can't see why they hyped this that much. Most of my dissapointments have been mentioned. Stannis magically turning 100,000 wildlings in to a 100 didn't bother me when seeing it, only after when I thought about it. What annoyed me was Jon burying Ygritte though, that was pointless.
The skeletons are my biggest issue really, there was no reason for not using wrights, hell they were frozen in snow and ice, it would've made total sense to still have meat on their bones. Also the fighting looked like I was watching some new version of Xena or some shyt like that.
Then when Leaf started throwing fireballs I was just :shaq2: as someone said in this thread, an arrow would've been fine (not obsidian/dragon glass though, that only kills white walkers, not wrights/magic skeletons), it just felt like a cop-out for some reason. Bloodraven:snoop:
I missed Tyrions motivation for going to the Tower of the Hand but my non-bookreading friends were too busy being:krs:at him killing Shae and Tywin to even think about why he was there. But at least they didn't change Tywin dying on the privy, so I'm not too stuck up about it.

Daenerys chaining up her dragons and leaving them made me sad:to: I really liked that scene, I can still hear them cry out for their mother:sadbron:
The Hound/Brienne fight was dope:ehh:

Varys leaving with Tyrion I do like, in the books he dissapears from Kings Landing, it's quite possible he went to Pentos, hid from Tyrion when he was at Illyrio's mansion and returned when one of his birds informed him about something happening in KL that needed his attention.

I expected more of this episode but it was the only dissapointing ep this season, I also doubt if I would care this much if the didn't hype it up like they did:yeshrug:

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
I see what they did with Tyrion's story

Remember in the book he leaves KL hating Jamie

But the show is playing up on their "bromance" and they may have their reasons in the future for them not parting ways in bad terms.

The Tysha story is being disregarded/unimportant in the present scheme and focusing on Shae as his true love. However, the question still stand...why would Tyrion want to see his father one more time? a. he is suppose to leave discreetly and b. they hate each other...
There should have been an enraging event in the middle to justify Tyrion going to the hand's tower. because the only time Tyrion acts out of character and irrational is when it comes to his women...and that reason was missing from the scene.

thats my only gripe. Oh! and the dragon chaining scene :trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
OK, I rewatched the finale and it made a big difference as usual

Once expectations are thrown out the window I have found myself able to enjoy it for what it was rather than what it was not.

It was a great finale, not as good as was promised by the show creators but great nonetheless.

The omissions of Tysha and Lady Stoneheart were stupid and didn't allow it to realize its full potential, but they were not as big of a deal upon rewatch as I originally thought they were

Almost every scene that I had a problem with I no longer think is that big of a deal, other than the fact I am still really disappointed in Bran's scene.

Tikal

Coming thru like BLAOW
Daps
Reppin
:ahh:
It was probably due to budget restraints but Stannis at the wall attacking the wildlings was wack, especially considering how dope episode 9 was.
I atleast wanted to see my man Godry the Giantslayer get that giant kill :to:

SkillClash

Banned
Daps
Honestly it's not even close.

are you sure... i give tolkien credit for popularizing the fantasy genre, he didn't create it per say, but he made it popular and providing us rich lore

but the lotr and hobbit are almost cookie cutter fantasy tropes "good guy vs. bad guy" it doesn't have all those complex webs, characterization and storytelling the ice and fire books have

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
did George R R Martin surpass Tolkien as the GOAT fantasy writer?

fukk one genre, George is the best fiction writer I have read period. Admittedly I don't care for fiction much so I am hardly an expert. But there is a reason I am hardly an expert...because most times I try and pick up a book and after a couple chapters I put it down for good.

I really wish I could read this "Fevre Dream" thats been sitting on my desk but I'm doing a Feast/Dance reread right now and it is gonna take me a while because I only read at night before bed for like a half an hour.