A Quiet Place: Day One | Discussion Thread

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Minor spoiler ahead. Major spoilers will be put in the spoiler tag.

To me, this is an artistic alien film. Artistic in a good way and bad way.

Cinematography and the direction is on point. Alot dope camera angles. I'm not saying it's Dune 2 camera work but none the less dope.

Lupita: Yeah, she did a great job in "Us" but to be honest I forgot she could carry a film. I liked the way her character started off. But the way she evoled, it was ok, I guess.

Sidekick- Interesting choice for a "sidekick". This coulda been corny but it was actually the perfect fit. Given their "nature".

Intensity: Similar to the train scene in the last one, there is one stand out scene. But it's not alot of intense scenes but I'm cool with that.

Negative:

Da Whyte Man:
Look, I know this ain't a Black film (I know how this board is). But at the same time, Hollywood does what Hollwood does with a certain white character. And even goes into one of the oldest troupes with them. I was hope this film wouldn't go there but they did.

This film went into straight white savior mode. This scary clown suddenly becomes brave and saves the the day, saves the cat. And Lupita becomes cool with dying and allows herself to be eaten. Black people with the L unless you like the artistic message. I don't

Bad art- Look I have no problem with them going into the human, artsy stuff. But it lasted way too long near the end. It almost felt like a romance and I'm not a romance fan. With such a short film they coulda cut alot that out.

Overall: Good film but the mix genre stuff didn't work all the way.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Cinematography and the direction is on point.
I was entertained and it didn’t take 2 hours+.:ehh:

The first one was never all that to me. Got every entry in this franchise sitting at a firm 3.5/5, but I think homie directed the best of the bunch here. The chaos amidst the NYC setting restored some Cloverfield vibes for me and hit me more emotionally. I think living through a global pandemic that got plenty “end of the world” talk is part of the reason why.

Frodo stole the show though. Cat movie of the summer, and that’s a damn shame for Garfield.

Was waiting on him to hit the “meow” when Eddie Munson tried rescuing him in front of those aliens. :skip:
Oh, Eddie Munson. That who that was. The rock dude.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I was entertained and it didn’t take 2 hours+.:ehh:

The first one was never all that to me. Got every entry in this franchise sitting at a firm 3.5/5, but I think homie directed the best of the bunch here. The chaos amidst the NYC setting restored some Cloverfield vibes for me and hit me more emotionally. I think living through a global pandemic that got plenty “end of the world” talk is part of the reason why.

Frodo stole the show though. Cat movie of the summer, and that’s a damn shame for Garfield.

Was waiting on him to hit the “meow” when Eddie Munson tried rescuing him in front of those aliens. :skip:
Not gonna lie, so was I :russ:

frodo was getting into some shyt

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Man I'd head out to the theater now if I just didn't have surgery Monday. Shyt looks fire

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I just got back from the morning showing. If they re-cut this film and cut out a lot of fake deep shyt they would have a good movie on their hands. Otherwise, it's just okay-ish. One big thing happened at the end that was just :snoop:.

The best thing was probably the cinematography.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
Great movie. I got exactly what I was looking for.

I preferred both of them died at the end. Him saving her when she was gonna die anyway seemed like the way to go.

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I loved it. They're 3 for 3.

I liked the angle of strangers in a chaotic city, just trying to hold on to something. It was an interesting dynamic with the status of their characters at the beginning.

Other than a group of strangers in a secluded office, a sports teams, or something, I don't know what other group dynamic they can use for another.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Good film. Loved the ending.

Very artistically shot movie. Not surprising from the director of pig. Gave it 3.5

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Pretty good creature feature. If you like the series you'll most likely dig it. Don't expect a game changing sequel, but it serves it's purpose. Lupita is the heart of the movie and is well casted and written for a horror flick.

Marco Zen

Black Privilege
Daps
Reppin
The Other A
Honestly... it was ehh

I felt it should've been brought back to what made it a dope horror/sci fi in the first one. Not do a total left turn..

Kinda hard to criticize it though.. considering how this story is set up and unfolds... it being all "human heart and spirit" and shyt :comeon:

6 out of 10... generously :comeon:

and why the fukk didnt they at least give us a little of who what where and why the aliens showed up in the first place. fukk a mystery i wanna know nikka :birdman: