A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Daps
those WR visits are funny imo, we arent giving shyt in money to nicks or edelman (and if they wanted peanuts they couldve signed with their former teams, especially edelman)

sanders is very meh also

I`m all for some extra help to the offense.

Give Kaep every weapon, cause in reality this team is going to be losing players because of his deal so we might as well surround the biggest investment with the most resources.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I`m all for some extra help to the offense.

Give Kaep every weapon, cause in reality this team is going to be losing players because of his deal so we might as well surround the biggest investment with the most resources.
we have no money. the good wrs will demand multiyear deals. they also wouldnt take a discount because we are a run-first team and we have 3 options above them (quan, crabs and vd).

Daps
we have no money. the good wrs will demand multiyear deals. they also wouldnt take a discount because we are a run-first team and we have 3 options above them (quan, crabs and vd).

Well maybe they really don't have the place to be choosy, or perhaps they wanna do a 1 year deal and prove their worth.

I dunno man, we aint bringing them in for no reason at all.

Us being so cap strapped is frustrating, and it's just going to get much much worse

NegMawon

Rookie
Daps
Thurmond should be the priority if TB doesn't take the offer ..I'd be more comfortable with him playing nickel as he is proven in that role ..we already have QP and people are sleeping on this dude he can get open he's quick enough and I think he will step up this year in the slot WR position it's up to Roman to use the slot wr which he hardly does smh ..The only upside to Edleman would be he can return punts in addition to that slot role but if we're planning on keeping LMJ then it doesn't make sense

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i think they only visited because there isnt much interest

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
i think they only visited because there isnt much interest
I think its just window shopping/going through the motions thing from our side. FO knows we wont sign them until they are willing to play for food basically. but still want to go through the motions, show that they are considering FAs, feeling out market values, etc.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
also pickspatrick just got released...and we have gabbert as a backup who was making more money than either pickspatrick or campbell :shaq2:

Daps
also pickspatrick just got released...and we have gabbert as a backup who was making more money than either pickspatrick or campbell :shaq2:

Fitspatrick is a known bum.

Gabbert is 24 and was a 1st round pick.

Say what you want, but dudes first year was better than a guy like Geno Smith's and there is people here who champion what Geno Smith can do.

You really a hardon for this whole Gabbert move

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Fitspatrick is a known bum.

Gabbert is 24 and was a 1st round pick.

Say what you want, but dudes first year was better than a guy like Geno Smith's and there is people here who champion what Geno Smith can do.

You really a hardon for this whole Gabbert move
pickspatrick has had more tds in 3 separate years, each than gabbert has had in his career

pickspatrick is a tier 1 backup qb. Id love to have him as a backup.

I realize you think we can still groom gabbert to be something more than a backup, we'll have to agree to disagree here

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

HE is who we need to look at. Not Gabbert. scust

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How do you ride for Gabbert? I don't understand.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/3/14/5509792/nfl-free-agency-rumors-chris-cook-49ers-signing

NFL free agency rumors: Chris Cook signing 1-yr deal with the 49ers, per Matt Barrows
By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Mar 14 2014, 2:23p 38

458910909.0_standard_709.0.jpg

John Grieshop

Matt Barrows is reporting the 49ers have signed Chris Cook to a 1-year contract. We break down what this means for the 49ers secondary.

San Francisco 49ers beat writer Matt Barrows is reporting the team has signed cornerback Chris Cook to a 1-year contract. There is no word yet on the terms of the deal, although I have to think it's not overly expensive. Cook is a guy who did not reach his potential in Minnesota. He had some early off-the-field issues (a domestic assault charge on which he was acquitted), and he generally has just not been a particularly good cornerback recently.

Cook gets a chance to work with 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell, and hopefully he can take advantage of his sizable wing span. When he came out for the draft in 2010, he was viewed as a guy who could play very physical press coverage, but some of his fundamentals, including footwork, needed some work. Additionally, there have been criticisms of his run support. The 49ers like seeing strong tackling from their cornerbacks, so we'll see how that develops.

If this deal is at or near the league minimum, it does not preclude a potential Walter Thurmond signing, but at this point, I would be surprised to see that happen. Assuming this deal goes official, the 49ers cornerback depth chart would look something like this:

CB: Tramaine Brock, Eric Wright, Darryl Morris
CB: Chris Culliver, Chris Cook, Dax Swanson

Tarell Brown remains on the market, so the 49ers could still decide to bring him back in. A one year deal for Cook likely is going to be one in which he could still be leap-frogged on the depth chart. We'll need to see what the guarantees are on the deal, if there are any. At the very least it brings competition to the position. Add in one or two cornerbacks in the draft, and there will be plenty of competition in the secondary.