A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Barrows is reporting Bethea's deal is actually 4 years, 21 million according to a "league source".

Also...

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The consensus was Alex was complete trash too and for all the same reasons, he was a bad QB with a bad supporting cast.

I don't think Gabbert gonna amount to shyt, but hey it's a 6th rd pick, go check out how most of our 6th round picks are doing right now.

I like the versatility of the move, if Harbaugh can coach up Smith to be a legit B-level QB, maybe he can salvage something out of Gabbert.

What I don't agree on is even when JH brought Alex back...While I didn't like him he was still superior to gabbert. Gabbert can be coached up to a point. He can go from trash to poor. Would rather have a more competent backup with some mobility.

Daps
alex smith wasnt godawful like gabbert before harbaugh tho. 09 and 10 numbers look like joe's when compared to gabberts

I don't think we were nearly as dysfunctional as Jax though.

Remember Alex has better targets and a star RB in his prime.

I think Alex is the better talent for sure, just don't mind a former 1st round QB project for Harbaugh to tinker with

Daps
What I don't agree on is even when JR brought Alex back...While I didn't like him he was still superior to gabbert. Gabbert can be coached up to a point. He can go from trash to poor. Would rather have a more competent backup with some mobility.

And who do you prefer as the backup?

Only reason I dig Gabbert is because if Kaep doesn't improve and we see something in Gabbert, maybe we can use that as a bargaining chip.

Because in all reality, this year is a year where Kaep needs to show his worth, one way or the other. Cause if he is asking for $20m and he hasn't taken that next step we need to make some real tough decisions

Daps
Blaine Gabbert

rookie numbers 12tds/11 picks
Sophomore numbers 9tds/6 picks
3rd year 1 td/7 picks

Alex Smith

Rookie 1td/11picks
Sophomore 16td/16 picks
3 year 2tds/4 picks

Just at a quick glance, Gabbert actually has the better numbers.

In two years 21/17 for Gabbert, 17/27 for Smith

22/24 for Blaines career
19/31 in 3 yrs of Alex

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
And who do you prefer as the backup?

Only reason I dig Gabbert is because if Kaep doesn't improve and we see something in Gabbert, maybe we can use that as a bargaining chip.

Because in all reality, this year is a year where Kaep needs to show his worth, one way or the other. Cause if he is asking for $20m and he hasn't taken that next step we need to make some real tough decisions
We may need to make decisions, but Gabbert isn't it....he's not a bargaining chip nor someone who'll put pressure on Kaep, we threw away that pick cuz we have so many. Terrible move IMO, you can't run the same offense with these two (well maybe you do since it's psychotic)

Daps
We may need to make decisions, but Gabbert isn't it....he's not a bargaining chip nor someone who'll put pressure on Kaep, we threw away that pick cuz we have so many. Terrible move IMO, you can't run the same offense with these two (well maybe you do since it's psychotic)

What offense do we run though?

Regular season it's one offense, post season it's another.

Terrible move is Bathea, not this one

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there have been some good moves and some questionable ones today. but to me the biggest takeaway is that come draft day we can literally do whatever we want since we'll have very few immediate needs and a boatload of picks

Last edited:

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
there have been some good moves and some questionable ones today. but to me the biggest takeaway is that come draft day we can literally do whatever we want since we'll have very few immediate needs
I'm sure they'll take a QB in this draft late. Maybe Boyd from Clemson maybe somebody else.
I like the Wright move. What's interesting is no Terrell Brown news... At all.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
btw after looking at garropulos (sp ?) tape I was terrified. if you thought garcia or alex or even manziel had happy feet....:huhldup: