A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I been busy so I haven't been on here in a minute, but I'm going to do a quick recap of what I been seeing this offseason

Boone is silly to hold out, while I think he is an extremely talented RG, and offensive lineman in general, he needs to be patient, the money will come. If not we can trade him for a 4th or 5th rounder, easily and I think Looney can fill in as a starting RG.

I don't think Vernon Davis wants more money per se but an extension. We should extend him 3 years, thats it. Unfortunately he was disappointing last year, and he wasn't as a big factor in the playoffs as he was the previous 2 years. That being said, Vance McDonald is still a year away, imo.

Carlos Hyde and Lattimore will fight for the starting RB spot, this is a good thing as I think they need to keep Frank Gore on limited carries until the playoffs.

We are stacked at WR, I think that Jonathan Balwin and Kassim Osgood are goners.

Tank Carradine will replace Cowboy, maybe midway through the season. Justin Smith is my dude but he is running out of gas.He's 34, this season.

Blaine Gabbert will be the #2 and thats a good thing, he's a talented kid, and a smart QB. Don't let his time in Jacksonville fool you, he can play and Jim Harbaugh is gonna make him better, he'll probably be trade bait, but if Kap gets hurt, he can run the offense better than he gets credit for.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I been busy so I haven't been on here in a minute, but I'm going to do a quick recap of what I been seeing this offseason

Boone is silly to hold out, while I think he is an extremely talented RG, and offensive lineman in general, he needs to be patient, the money will come. If not we can trade him for a 4th or 5th rounder, easily and I think Looney can fill in as a starting RG.

I don't think Vernon Davis wants more money per se but an extension. We should extend him 3 years, thats it. Unfortunately he was disappointing last year, and he wasn't as a big factor in the playoffs as he was the previous 2 years. That being said, Vance McDonald is still a year away, imo.

Carlos Hyde and Lattimore will fight for the starting RB spot, this is a good thing as I think they need to keep Frank Gore on limited carries until the playoffs.

We are stacked at WR, I think that Jonathan Balwin and Kassim Osgood are goners.

Tank Carradine will replace Cowboy, maybe midway through the season. Justin Smith is my dude but he is running out of gas.He's 34, this season.

Blaine Gabbert will be the #2 and thats a good thing, he's a talented kid, and a smart QB. Don't let his time in Jacksonville fool you, he can play and Jim Harbaugh is gonna make him better, he'll probably be trade bait, but if Kap gets hurt, he can run the offense better than he gets credit for.
I disagree on tank, I dont think he will be starting this season unless justin is hurt. hes definitely gonna see a lot of reps, and I can see him have a good role in passing downs.
disagree on gabbert as well. while I dont think hes as bad as he was in jags with not much talent around him, I just dont envision him even as a good backup. Id me more comfortable with josh johnson than him actually.

I definitely dont think trading boone for a 4th is a good proposition at all.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I disagree on tank, I dont think he will be starting this season unless justin is hurt. hes definitely gonna see a lot of reps, and I can see him have a good role in passing downs.
disagree on gabbert as well. while I dont think hes as bad as he was in jags with not much talent around him, I just dont envision him even as a good backup. Id me more comfortable with josh johnson than him actually.

Justin Smith is going to be 35 this coming season and he has been knicked up these past couple of seasons, I think he and Tank split reps or maybe a 55/45 split or something like that. I think the organization is trying to downplay this but we're gonna see a lot of Tank.

Gabbert has a great arm and he is the true definition of sneaky athletic, also we have way better weapons for him to throw to, I think he is better than Colt McCoy who was only athletic. Josh Johnson has a lot of Kaps physical attributes, one problem, Josh Johnson is a shyt decision maker, I wouldn't trust him to make a decision between chicken or beef at a BBQ joint.

Boone is an elite talent and he knows it, we're not going to be able to meet his asking price, that's why I would cut our losses. We have depth at guard and worst case theres no shortage of Leonard Davis type veterans we can pick up on after the camp cuts.

Daps

Gotta say, I agree with you on Vernon. He should be extended, but I don't think you can really hold the playoffs against him like that, he has too much history as a producer of big plays to hold a few games against him.

I like the young blood at RB. Competition, competition, competition. I love Gore, but this has got to be his last year and he could use a reduced workload.

Daps on the Gabbert thing, he's a much better backup than we had in 2013. Look at his numbers and they show you someone who performed pretty decent in his rookie year with zero help. If kaep misses a few games, maybe he can pull a Matt Flynn type performance or two and we can trade him away for something in the future.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

J smith is already hurt with another shoulder issue, that doesn't bode well for this season

Good thing they got tank just in case

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Boone is an elite talent and he knows it, we're not going to be able to meet his asking price, that's why I would cut our losses. We have depth at guard and worst case theres no shortage of Leonard Davis type veterans we can pick up on after the camp cuts.
They will sign Boone, he's easier to sign then iputati who is basically gone

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Gotta say, I agree with you on Vernon. He should be extended, but I don't think you can really hold the playoffs against him like that, he has too much history as a producer of big plays to hold a few games against him.

I like the young blood at RB. Competition, competition, competition. I love Gore, but this has got to be his last year and he could use a reduced workload.

Daps on the Gabbert thing, he's a much better backup than we had in 2013. Look at his numbers and they show you someone who performed pretty decent in his rookie year with zero help. If kaep misses a few games, maybe he can pull a Matt Flynn type performance or two and we can trade him away for something in the future.

I think Gore has 2 or 3 years left, I just don't think he should get more than 15 carries a game. He's way more valuable in the playoffs. We just need him fresh. If either Lattimore or Hyde are above average blockers that would be ideal.

Daps
I think Gore has 2 or 3 years left, I just don't think he should get more than 15 carries a game. He's way more valuable in the playoffs. We just need him fresh. If either Lattimore or Hyde are above average blockers that would be ideal.

Gore is gonna be 32 next season, no possible way he has 2-3 years left in him.

Name one NFL RB who played to age 32 even. Nevertheless 33.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
The Niners are on record as saying they won't negotiate with anybody that holds out, so they're basically forcing Boone and Vernon to come to camp to get something accomplished.

That being said, I don't think either will get a new contract this season.

Daps
I think so too but he's gotta wait. He needs to shut up and go to camp, OL should be seen and not heard.

So OL are less important than diva WR's and corners?

Honestly, this teams success has been built around the OL. And the OL is where the games are won at. They got just as much right as the "skill positions" to holdout, speak up etc...

1ncognegro

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#SidenikkaGang 804 VA
I honestly think this team is gonna be the best team we've assembled. I think offensively we will be pretty potent at WR. This is the best WR core we've had since the TO days with Tai Streets and JJ Stokes:huhldup:. I think our run game is gonna be a problem when sorted out. I dont know whats gonna happen. Hell Carlos or Lattimore might take the start and Frank sits back until the playoffs well rested. All I know is someone good is gonna get cut (prolly Lamichael). Idk whats gonna happen at RB but this is the spot im really watching in training camp.

Our defense to me has been upgraded. We drafted all our replacements in our recent drafts. We have really good depth on the Dline and at Olb. The Bowman situation hurts but P Willy has held down the Mike before he can do it again. Tank in the nickel is gonna be a prob. I believe he's gonna take Justin Smiths role in those situations. The only position where im a lil worried is CB but it cant be worse than watching Carlos and Brown get torched. Brock has been ballin. I think if Cully can return to form and Ward pans out we'll be ok. Plus Cox and Morris fighting for that dime spot. We good at safety and I think Bethea is a good replacement for Whitner for the sure tackling and no penalties caused by someone just tryna blow up people instead of just making the tackle. Eric Ried is gonna be a field general the boy is smart.

Our Oline is solid. Boone can take a seat if he thinks Baalke is gonna blink. Its not happening. Looney could take his spot if he aint careful. VD too. We just paid you and you wanna go pop off about getting paid. Have a seat bruh. Its not happening. Especially now that we gotta pay Crabs and Iupati. All in all I think we're good:win:.

Last edited:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is gores last year no matter what

It's good to hear about lattimore talking about taking gores job, his leg must be feeling good

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
So OL are less important than diva WR's and corners?

Honestly, this teams success has been built around the OL. And the OL is where the games are won at. They got just as much right as the "skill positions" to holdout, speak up etc...

Of course not, the game starts in the trenches, but I can replace a great guard with a good one and not lose as much as if I had a replaced a star receiver with someone just ok, as a lifetime O lineman, I understand how important it is but I'm not delusional, Mike Solari is one of the better O-line coaches in the league, we have experienced backups that can easily fill in should Boone not play. Dude has no leverage.