A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
there's a huge difference in future salary tho. i'd rather lock kaep down with a backloaded deal now than hit him with the franchise tag and have his 2015 base salary skyrocket to 16-18 mil. we'd be worse off if we did the latter imo
eh we'll have to agree to disagree, as usual

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's probably the biggest reason.

Let's revisit this after Kaep gets 20m a year and see how much depth we got.

People acting like the draft been a homerun every year are also kinda seeing it with rose colored glasses. We had some straight FLOP drafts, like 2012
theres a reason why the owners have been increasing the cap, its basically qb cap room.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you should probably take out goodwin, whitner, brown and rogers...at the very least to not jinx it.

also this list is a kind of a contradiction since this means kaep can be rid of as well :troll:
this is the way the nfl works, you get to keep a certain number of players and the rest are replaced through the draft and fa

the niners have done very well getting production out of low fa signings such as dorsey and rodgers

no disrespect to goodwin, niners will be much better at center this year

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never said we wouldn't make the title game in 13, I did clearly say we would not make the SB though.

As far as the depth issue, look at how many significant players will be needing new deals either after this season or next

Crabtree
Davis
Iupati
Boone
Aldon
Hunter
Gore
Kaepernick
Culliver
Dorsey
Eric Wright
Chris Cook
Parish Cox
Ray Mac

Justin Smith
Phil Dawson
Ian Williams

So about all that LONG TERM depth.
why list gore, we all know this is his last year no matter what

those guys highlighted might not even make it out of camp

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
this is the way the nfl works, you get to keep a certain number of players and the rest are replaced through the draft and fa

the niners have done very well getting production out of low fa signings such as dorsey and rodgers

no disrespect to goodwin, niners will be much better at center this year
I dont disagree...I was just saying you cant say we havent missed a beat after getting rid of those guys...before the season even started

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you keep underrating mcdonald for no reason man. hes very good. hes a lock to make the team.
i think hes a solid player but as a player gets older you gotta look at the cap as a whole

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
A couple of things about this Kap extenstion...If Andy Dalton is able to secure a $18 - $20 million a year deal, then Kap is gonna want more than that...a lot more. The Niners best bet is to get an extenstion done now before some of these lesser QB's start asking for and possibly getting the amount of money Kap is asking for now.
Also, the cap is supposed to go up substantially next year, so teams are going to keep an eye on that. That can only help us with resigning Kap now.

As far as Davis, like I said before, this holdout will amount to nothing because he has no real leverage to hold out. He has 2 years left on his current contract. I could see the Niners extending him, however...but not this year. More than likely it'll be sometime next offseason when they know what next years cap is going to be and probably after they've made a decision on Crabtree/Aldon/Iupati.

Also, in regards to this list of impending free agents:
Crabtree
Davis
Iupati
Boone
Aldon
Hunter
Gore
Kaepernick
Culliver
Dorsey
Eric Wright
Chris Cook
Parish Cox

Ray Mac
Justin Smith
Phil Dawson
Ian Williams

Everybody that is bolded (in my opinion) will not be resigned once their contract is up.
I put Dorsey and Ian Williams in Italics because one of them will probably be released and the other stay. It depends how this season goes...if Dorsey retains the starting job, they'll look to probably extend him and move on from Williams; If Williams regains the starting job and plays as good as the Niners think he can play, then Dorsey will be gone after this season as his contract is up.

Here's an article on potential cap casualties:
49ers salary cap: Current situation, potential cap casualties - Niners Nation