A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And that's the thing, he says "We managed through all these contracts/losses"

But we managed because the QB was making about 1-2m.

Now make that QB have 20m and see how well we manage

again, the QB making peanuts is one reason why we've stayed afloat but it's not the ONLY reason

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you should probably take out goodwin, whitner, brown and rogers...at the very least to not jinx it.

also this list is a kind of a contradiction since this means kaep can be rid of as well :troll:

we could get rid of kaep, but we prolly won't despite your wishes :laugh:

and i don't believe in jinxes :yeshrug:

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we likely won't, but a cap hit like that entails sacrifices at other positions

I guess my biggest worry with Kaep, and hence me rather overpaying him later than now, is that we'll end up committing to potential that will not get realized. hes still a somewhat unknown quantity to me.

we are stacked on offensive weapons this year, and this year should tell a lot about kaep. Id be much more comfortable committing 25m on a near elite qb (while still against my philosophy), than 20m on a qb with a lot of faults.

and that's completely understandable. it's a risk any time you give any player an extension. it just so happens that the stakes are much higher in this case since kaep will be by far the highest paid player on the team

but he's earned an extension imo. 29 starts is a small sample size but he's proven a lot in that time and exceeded everyone's expectations from when he was that gimmicky QB who looked horrible in the 2011 preseason up until now. and he still has a lot of room to get better and realize his potential. it's a gamble but it's one i want the team to take

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
and that's completely understandable. it's a risk any time you give any player an extension. it just so happens that the stakes are much higher in this case since kaep will be by far the highest paid player on the team

but he's earned an extension imo. 29 starts is a small sample size but he's proven a lot in that time and exceeded everyone's expectations from when he was that gimmicky QB who looked horrible in the 2011 preseason up until now. and he still has a lot of room to get better and realize his potential. it's a gamble but it's one i want the team to take
:mjlol:

yea 10m a year extension

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay

I just dont see how the gamble pays off...ie I think the risk is far greater than the reward... even if he becomes an all-pro next year hes still not getting more than like 25-27m in open market, and even that may be a stretch. whereas if he bombs the loss is huge compared to the money we'd be paying him. as such its not really a 'gamble' imo. gamble is risking a lot to win a lot. we dont win jack shyt by signing an extension that already factors in multiple pro bowl potential

Daps
again, the QB making peanuts is one reason why we've stayed afloat but it's not the ONLY reason

It's probably the biggest reason.

Let's revisit this after Kaep gets 20m a year and see how much depth we got.

People acting like the draft been a homerun every year are also kinda seeing it with rose colored glasses. We had some straight FLOP drafts, like 2012

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay

People acting like the draft been a homerun every year are also kinda seeing it with rose colored glasses. We had some straight FLOP drafts, like 2012
after we give kaep the extension, we'll pretty much have to hit on all drafts and cannot afford to have a dud draft like that again, ever.

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just dont see how the gamble pays off...ie I think the risk is far greater than the reward... even if he becomes an all-pro next year hes still not getting more than like 25-27m in open market, and even that may be a stretch. whereas if he bombs the loss is huge compared to the money we'd be paying him. as such its not really a 'gamble' imo. gamble is risking a lot to win a lot. we dont win jack shyt by signing an extension that already factors in multiple pro bowl potential

the gamble pays off big if we win a SB with kaep, which could very well happen

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
there is no difference in us winning the SB in next two years, with kaep locked up and with him not locked up. hes still finna be playing for us.

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

i don't think that's the biggest reason because we did have alex on the hook for 5 mil in 2011 and around 8 mil in 2012. but time will tell what the depth of the team looks like after kaep gets paid

and yes the 2012 draft was a flop but that was just one draft. what other major flop drafts like 2012 have we had lately?

Daps

We had 2 really good shots, how many of those do you expect.

3 balls to Crabtree on the goal line and another pick to Crabtree on 1st down forced into the endzone in Seattle.

These things don't leave the mind easily

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there is no difference in us winning the SB in next two years, with kaep locked up and with him not locked up. hes still finna be playing for us.

there's a huge difference in future salary tho. i'd rather lock kaep down with a backloaded deal now than hit him with the franchise tag and have his 2015 base salary skyrocket to 16-18 mil. we'd be worse off if we did the latter imo