A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Dramatic-Victory-Yes-On-The-Football-Field.gif

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
49ers rank 31st in salary-cap space | CSN Bay Area

The 49ers are just $592,000 under the NFL salary cap after the trade in which they acquired wide receiver Stevie Johnson from the Buffalo Bills, a source said.

Johnson has a cap figure for the 49ers of $3.925 million for the 2014 season.

The 49ers will pick up $6.6 million in salary cap space on June 1 when cornerback Carlos Rogers is wiped off the team’s books. The 49ers designated Rogers as a post-June 1 release, meaning they do not gain the official salary-cap clearance until that time.

Only the Pittsburgh Steelers ($311,000) currently have less cap room than the 49ers.

The 49ers are likely to make some cap adjustments this offseason to sign their remaining draft picks and, perhaps, quarterback Colin Kaepernick to a lucrative contract extension.

The 49ers would like to complete Kaepernick’s new contract before the start of training camp in late-July. Quarterback Joe Flacco had a first-year salary cap figure of $6.8 million after signing a deal that averaged $20 million a season last year with the Baltimore Ravens. Kaepernick currently counts $1.63 million against the 49ers' 2014 cap.

If the 49ers opt to seek salary relief from players already on the roster, they could look to restructure some of their highest-paid players, such as Patrick Willis ($6.535 million) and running back Frank Gore ($6.45 million).

I don't think there's any way they touch Gore's contract. It'd be a PR nightmare to ask him to take a pay cut without extending him a few years.
Maybe Willis would restructure, but I dunno.

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think we trade a big time player to make some room

that option could come into play if kaep's deal isn't done before training camp

i think asking a few vets to reconstruct will be plan A. trading players to make cap room is plan B. either way, getting kaep's extension done before the season starts is huge

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

i think asking a few vets to reconstruct will be plan A. trading players to make cap room is plan B. either way, getting kaep's extension done before the season starts is huge

Ahmad Brooks and Vernon Davis would be a good start

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I don't think there's any way they touch Gore's contract. It'd be a PR nightmare to ask him to take a pay cut without extending him a few years.
Maybe Willis would restructure, but I dunno.
had we not seen the complete obliteration of the RB via the garbage the FA contracts given and trades (i.e. moreno, etc.), even talks of Minny moving past AD, and how low top RB's went in the draft, you might have a point. but even without that, reality is reality, Gore will probably be one of the few given the dignity to retire on his own terms and with his main club, but it's time for that contract to get that good makeover.

NFL definitely needs a much higher salary cap, we don't need to go back to an uncapped era (unless DeBartolo wants to come back :lolbron:), but the danger these athletes put themselves in and just the logistics of being the largest rosters in pro sports, there needs to be some relief to let these dudes get their payday and actually see that money as long as they're producing.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps

Why?

He needs to prove he can do it

He is surrounded by play makers now

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
NFL definitely needs a much higher salary cap, we don't need to go back to an uncapped era .
not really. having a cap prevents team from building dynasties and demands smart contract management from the GM and front office, as well as smart drafting

if cap were to get much higher, it will diminish the value of the draft, inflate contracts and enable great teams to stay great for a long, long time.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
not really. having a cap prevents team from building dynasties and demands smart contract management from the GM and front office, as well as smart drafting

if cap were to get much higher, it will diminish the value of the draft, inflate contracts and enable great teams to stay great for a long, long time.
ok....duh @ the bolded, thus the reason i said we don't need to go back to the uncapped era. but IMO, with the way contracts/players are being thrown in the bushes i still think the cap needs to be higher, especially if QB contracts are going to remain being outrageous for the long-term. you would still need to be savvy, but it would give players an opportunity to earn more of their contract before being cut/traded/asked to restructure (but you give no fukks about ppl being paid so this convo can end here)

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
ok....duh @ the bolded, thus the reason i said we don't need to go back to the uncapped era. but IMO, with the way contracts/players are being thrown in the bushes i still think the cap needs to be higher, especially if QB contracts are going to remain being outrageous for the long-term. you would still need to be savvy, but it would give players an opportunity to earn more of their contract before being cut/traded/asked to restructure (but you give no fukks about ppl being paid so this convo can end here)
eh we can have the convo :steviej: I do think nfl players are underpaid in general compared to other sports (baseball Im looking at you :shaq2:), but its not so easy to just raise the cap and naively think the players will get more guaranteed money that way without changing a lot of other shyt.

moreover, it does not address the qb contract problem, it merely throws them a bone. if cap is raised higher, the top qb contracts will simply go higher. appetite comes during a meal, you know. when theres inflation prices do not stay the same., they rise up.
so at the end of the day qbs will end up with huge contracts just like now and other players will be getting scraps and discarded in favor of drafted players.

what CAN work is a individual salary cap, ie max like in bball. would be extremely fair, imo. but you know all the qbs will be whining about it.

Daps
Why?

He needs to prove he can do it

He is surrounded by play makers now

Yeah, no more excuses. He's got the ability and he's made the mistakes, now he has to show he has learned from them and bring it home

Kaep's extension really is a thing of question right now, because if it's overpaying him big time, then this could be our last real shot at a title for a long time, and he better get the job done if that's the case.

Daps

NFL has the best financial system for competition, that's why it's the best sport in the world.

All them other leagues suffer because they lack what the NFL has with their 100% legit cap.

And if the cap goes up, all it means is more players will get grossly overpaid and ticket prices will go up for the fans.

Do we really need guys like Cutler and Flacco making more than what they're making now, because that's who`ll reap the benefits