A King and an Empire: The Official GOAT franchise Boss Angeles Lakers 2018-19 season

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
ANOTHER BRON GROUPIE IN THE LAKER THREAD

dude, i barely even post in this thread....I can't waste time arguing with idiots. epecially ones such as jewmad

:snoop:

WE ALREADY PROVED IN THIS VERY THREAD THAT CLUTCH STATS ARE CIRCUMSTANTIAL, CAN BE MANIPULATED, AND TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT WHEN A COUPLE BRON GROUPIES TRIED POSTIN STATS THAT INDICATED LEBRON WAS “CLUTCH” LAST NIGHT

U BOX SCORE NERDS DISGUST ME

CriminalBouncyHalicore-size_restricted.gif

...same way kobe stans keep saying kobe is clutch when the numbers show otherwise

h3ZmkPg.png

Kobe and the Clutch Playoff Performance Myth (2011)

In my 25 plus years of following the NBA, one of the more fascinating phenomena to me has been the plight of those that I refer to as “Kobe Nation”. Now, I’m not referring to Kobe “fans” - Many of those are a dime a dozen, stuffing the All-Star ballot box, displaying their #24 jerseys during road games, and riding the Kobe-train as long as the Lakers remain on top. No, I’m talking about Kobe Nation – those who have repeatedly extolled the virtues of Kobe Bryant while partaking on a daily quest to defend his basketball legacy, game performances, and polarizing personality. They are his apostles, and their fervor rivals that of even the most religious of zealots. They respond to criticism, deserved or undeserved, with an inverse defiance that embodies the personality of their hero; the more you critique them, the more combative they will become, the less they will listen, and the more likely you will be called a “hater”. For every action, there is a reaction.

Earlier in the season, ESPN’s Henry Abbott questioned Bryant’s status as the most “clutch” player in the NBA, and as you can imagine, Kobe Nation responded with a fury. Specifically, Abbott defended his stance by citing the Game Winning/Game Tying Shot metric traditionally used by coaches and GMs when scouting opposing teams – shot attempts in the final 24 seconds of a game during which a player’s team is either tied or trails by three or fewer points. And during Kobe’s 15-year career (regular season and playoffs), the results showed that he made only 36 game winning/game tying shots while missing a stellar 79, or 36/115.

So why then is Kobe Bryant considered to be the unanimous first choice among GMs, coaches, and players for taking the game winning/game tying shot for all the marbles? Abbott cites the media’s propensity to exhaust the highlight reel, limitations of human memory, and our attraction to flashiness rather than substance as the primary reasons for why fans, coaches, players, and GMs are misguided
]. In sum, people usually remember Bryant’s makes, which are undoubtedly spectacular in nature, but not his misses.

So where do I stand?

First a plea to Kobe Nation…. Allow me to go on record by stating that Kobe Bryant is one of the 10 greatest players to ever play the game. By the time he retires, he will likely be top 5. He is a phenomenal all-around player in every aspect of the game, and possesses a unique combination of talent and skill, that in my opinion, can only be rivaled by Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James and Hakeem Olaujuwon. He also has a basketball IQ that is simply off the charts – a unique feel for the game that despite his numerous injuries, has allowed him to remain physically effective in a manner that is traditionally reserved for 20-somethings. Other than Michael Jordan, I have yet to see a player who displays the same level of ferocity, stubbornness, and will to win that Kobe Bryant does.

However, Henry Abbott is right. Kobe Bryant IS overrated in the clutch, and even more so when it comes to game winning/game tying shots. That’s right Kobe Nation, you heard me. In which universe does missing 79 out of 115 game winning/game tying shots constitute clutchness? Clutchness to me has always been defined basically and inherently. You either succeed and come through for your team, when your team needs you the most, or you don’t. And in 115 instances, during the time in which Bryant’s teams have needed him the most, he has succeeded only 36 times while failing 79 times. That’s a 31% success rate folks. It’s that simple.

We are not talking about a complex John Hollinger formula or algorithm. We are talking about a fairly straight forward metric – less than 24 seconds, time winding down, ball in Kobe’s hands, chance to win or tie, miss or make. All other variables are irrelevant:

- “Kobe is the most fearless”

- “Kobe wants the ball in his hands at the end of the game”

- “Kobe has the ability to make the most spectacular shots”

None of this matters. The only thing that matters is the result.

So that got me thinking – if the 36/115 stat includes both playoffs and regular season, how has Bryant performed in game winning and game tying shot situations during the playoffs alone? After all, playoff games are the ones that count the most, right? The pinnacle of pressure? The most important of time of the year when everything is at stake? Is there really a more clutch opportunity than a game winning/game tying shot in a playoff game?

The answer: Bryant is 7/25 or 28% -slightly worse during the playoffs than the regular season.

Keep in mind that the game winning/game tying shot is only ONE metric of clutch, and in a future article we will post additional data reviewing Kobe’s performance during the last 2 minutes, last 5 minutes, and the entire 4Q, which further substantiates my point. However, for now, we will focus on the game winning/game tying shot metric, which in my mind, represents the MOST pressure packed situations in a game.

Below is a breakdown of game winning/game tying shot attempt throughout Kobe Bryant’s 15 year career:

Kobe and the Clutch Playoff Performance Myth

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
I only post facts, not opinions:manny:

You don't watch the games and all you do is post the same nonsense over and over. A nikka in this very thread already explained the context of Bron's 4th qtr play last night within the "clutch stats" narrative. But you ignored it to post the same garbage once again. nikkas like you refuse to talk about the game other than stats that dont tell the whole story. Stats do not tell the whole story, whether you nikkas like it or not.

Bron himself would look at you nikkas like :dahell:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You don't watch the games and all you do is post the same nonsense over and over.

any game I speak on, I also saw

A nikka in this very thread already explained the context of Bron's 4th qtr play last night within the "clutch stats" narrative. But you ignored it to post the same garbage once again.

I didn't ignore anything because it's a given there are other variables within the context of clutch. I posted the juelz gif stuff in response these same people (jewmad) with try to convince me that kobe is clutch when evidence says otherwise

nikkas like you refuse to talk about the game other than stats that dont tell the whole story. Stats do not tell the whole story, whether you nikkas like it or not.

Bron himself would look at you nikkas like :dahell:

Im speaking more in general than anything that has to do with last nights game. Im suppose to take this idiotic-kobe stanning post seriously:rudy:

YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE

LEBRON IS A GOAT LEVEL PLAYER IN THE FIRST THREE QUARTERS AND A SUBPAR ONE IN THE 4TH

IF I WERE LUKE, I’D TREAT HIM LIKE A STARTING PITCHER AND TAKE HIM OFF THE COURT TO END GAMES

PG ZO
SG HART
SF INGRAM
PF KUZMA
C MCGEE

^THATS THE LINEUP WE SHOULD BE CLOSING GAMES WITH

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
dude, i barely even post in this thread....I can't waste time arguing with idiots. epecially ones such as jewmad

CriminalBouncyHalicore-size_restricted.gif

...same way kobe stans keep saying kobe is clutch when the numbers show otherwise

h3ZmkPg.png

Kobe and the Clutch Playoff Performance Myth (2011)

Kobe and the Clutch Playoff Performance Myth

LMAO THIS GENIUS LITERALLY POSTED STATS AS A RESPONSE TO ME DISMISSING STATS AS BEING TERRIBLE FOR USING AS AN END ALL BE ALL

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
You're better than to generalize shyt like this and attribute it to Bron. Especially since you know how limited Steph was during "The Stop"; we all saw how foolish Steph made Love look in the '17 Finals.
And Love's play is somehow Bron's fault :gucci:

DGodRussell

peace and positivity
Daps
Reppin
Based World
...low quality posting....so dumb I shouldn't even be responding to it but here you go

Sortable NBA Player Clutch stats

going back to MVP season lebron

11 (first season with miami)

14 (return to cavs)

So basically Bron is clutch as hell right up until the final seconds.. then he chokes. Sounds about right :ehh:

CcMRksWW0AAwxhZ.jpg