A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The case for Frank in a nutshell but using another debate between a great offensive player who's lacking on defense and a great defensive player who is average on offense...

Edit: Just to throw it in...

That Dennis Smith stat is the exact reason why its hard to take them nerd stats serious most of the time:russ:

You can juke the stats to make em whatever way you want lol

Last edited:

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
Can you brehs inform me on why you’re all so high on bud?:patrice:

I mean we were just talking fizdale and Stackhouse last week.

Can we please kick these frank hating troll out the thread?!:comeon:

• Most accomplished coach on the market. 2015 COTY. One Eastern Conference Finals appearance and two ECSF appearances.
  • Coaching pedigree. Top coaching assistant under Pop for six years. Quin Snyder and Kenny Atkinson assistant coaches under Bud in Atlanta. Snyder elite coach in Utah. Atkinson potential to be a good coach in Brooklyn
  • Player development. Paul Millsap once an undersized bruiser in Utah transformed his body in Atlanta and became a multiple time all-star, elite defensive player and one of the most versatile big men in the league. (Give Millsap most of the credit here, I guess. :yeshrug:) There's a reason why it's called "Hawks University." Kent Bazemore and DeMarre Carroll were journeymen players before they came to the Hawks. Became quality 3&D starting players in Atlanta. Hardaway was a fringe NBA player in NY. Became serviceable on defense and emerged as a good sixth man off the bench in his second season with the Hawks after he spent some time in the D league in first year. John Collins and Taurean Prince have come along nicely also.
  • Defensive minded coach.
  • Good X's & O's coach.

Last edited:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Knicks: Frank Ntilikina and Their First-Round Pick (Projected No. 9) for McCollum
Ntilikina is already one of the NBA’s best defensive point guards; he’d ease the pressure on Lillard and thus the rest of the defense, since he’d prevent easy penetration. The Knicks’ first -rounder is in range to grab a number of versatile wings like Mikal Bridges, Zhaire Smith, and Miles Bridges. As for New York, I’d view this deal as an opportunity to accelerate the rebuild around Kristaps Porzingis and increase the team’s appeal to free agents, rather than waiting for Ntilikina to develop.

Is It Time to Break Up the Blazers?

Compare that trade to some of the other trades listed

:ehh:

Now if I would do it :idontthinkso:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Can you brehs inform me on why you’re all so high on bud?:patrice:

I mean we were just talking fizdale and Stackhouse last week.

I threw up some coaching power rankings a while back and I didn't go into detail on Bud because I didn't think we could get him without a pick, but I put it like this,
The Unknown:
u/a. Budeholzer - Has two years on his contract and I would suspect the Hawks demand serious compensation for a coach of this level. If we could get Bud, he's developed players young and old into better guys including THJ. Give him talent and you'll have a playoff team, he'd be near or at the top if I felt confident that the rebuilding Hawks will let him walk without demanding something major back.

- Bud spent 17 years as an assistant to Pop, that's the longest of anyone down the Pop tree that I've seen. The Pop tree has turned out successful coaches and GM's so far on a pretty impressive success rate.

- When Bud got to Atlanta, he turned a good team into a 60 win team. He got four players into the allstar game in the same season (Horford, Milsap, Korver, Teague). Of those guys, three have only been all-stars under Bud. That is to say, Bud knows how to maximize talent. You give him good players and he'll give you results.

- He's also got a nice youth development track record. Schroder, Bazemore, Prince and our own THJ all developed into a quality players under him. The Tim we had for a hot streak before his stress fracture, Tim was playing close to that for Bud consistently by the end of his Hawks tenure.

- Defense...Bud's teams were repping top 5 defenses until they blew it up going into this season.

- Adapting, dude lost Korver and turned THJ into a stud to replace him. They switched Horford with Dwight which is a huge shift in style of big, but Bud got 'em to the playoffs. The word on Bud is that he adapts his system to the talent he has instead of vice versa (that's a Pop trait honestly).

- Accountability, dude sent THJ to the G-League the same year management had traded a first round pick for the kid. He wasn't putting Timmy out there unless the kid played defense. Korver stepped up his D to stay on the floor for Bud as well. This is a dude who historically really does hold players accountable regardless of their circumstances.

- More proven...Stackhouse is my second pick after Bud, but Stackhouse has zero pro coaching experience to look at. Blatt is the most successful, Fiz did impressive things but they both did so in under 2 seasons due to locker room issues (both deserve the benefit of doubt on their locker room issues to be fair). Bud was a top tier coach (won coach of the year once) for 4/5 seasons and the fifth was a season where management blew up the whole roster.

So we got everything we're looking for. Defense, accountability, proven track record, part of the Pop tree, respected around the league and to throw it in he's young enough that if he wanted to the guy could coach for a long time with us. The only stopping point is the "he wants to win" stuff, but every coach is gonna try to win. That he likes NY probably says something because no matter what, we're a tank team until KP is healthy. But what Bud can do is develop our roster and system so that when KP comes back, the talent is maximized. What Bud was able to do with Milsap and Schroder especially stands out to me. If he could give similar boosts to KP and Frank, that'd be huge for this franchise for a decade or more.

Can we please kick these frank hating troll out the thread?!:comeon:

Yeah, I'm thinking it might have to be neg rep on sight with some of these clowns. Just no-fly zone it.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Is It Time to Break Up the Blazers?

Compare that trade to some of the other trades listed

:ehh:

Now if I would do it :idontthinkso:

I really like Mccollum but I also see Bamba falling to 9 on some mocks...It's a tough call for me. I love Mccollum's game but I'm enamored with the idea of our defense with a Frank/Mikal wing tandem or KP/Bamba front court.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Is Perry on the phone?

Adobe_20180416_185949_zpsxve00wxp.png

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Is Perry on the phone?

Adobe_20180416_185949_zpsxve00wxp.png

https://nypost.com/2018/04/25/knick...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

No compensation will be needed to hire Budenholzer — once thought of as a potential stumbling block to any potential deal. The Post previously reported an NBA source saying Budenholzer considers the Knicks his “top choice.

“If they offered him the job, he’d say yes,’’ the source told The Post. “He wants to live in New York.’’

Budenholzer, the 2015 NBA Coach of the Year, interviewed for the Knicks’ job Sunday after the Hawks granted the Knicks permission. As one NBA executive said this week, “He’s the best coach on the market.’’

Sources have indicated the Knicks have strong feelings for the defensive-minded Budenholzer, who guided the Hawks to the playoffs in four of his first five seasons. The Knicks are well aware of the good work he did helping Tim Hardaway Jr.’s career when he played in Atlanta. The drawback is they have no prior connection to him, but the plus is he’s part of the Gregg Popovich coaching tree.

:salute: