A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
Gimme Ettore Messina or Blatt over any of the hamfisted names getting thrown out.

I don't share your optimism on Blatt, but if we could pry him away from the Spurs, Messina would be an excellent hire. High ranking asst coach coming from a pedigree organization like the Spurs, great choice. That's an add to my personal wishlist which I posted a few moments ago

Last edited:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I have hated seeing Jarret Jack take shots since game 1...

That being said, I think he's been a great influence on Frank and I hope he's here next year or when he retires, he becomes a player development coordinator or some other "non-head coach" coaching job. I've grown to respect him alot.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like Mark Jackson's legacy as a player but I have read enough to form a very lukewarm opinion on him. I see impending disaster and clashing written all over that type of Knicks reunion. Sorry.

David Blatt also seems a bit of a toxic acquisition; not necessarily from what he's guilty of, though. Considering the issues that already existed between the Bron camp and the Blatt administration - I don't really want to have that vibe here. It'll be all the NY media talks about and will make him guilty of a contrived media persona just because NY media wants clicks. The silver lining to a early Summer Blatt hiring would be a great exclamation point by NY management that they don't give a fukk about trying to woo Bron here. That would be a sigh of relief - not trying to be embarrassed again.

Fitzdale
, like any other human being, isn't the perfect man, but that's okay. His falling out in Memphis hasn't seemed to permeate throughout the league as something that'll follow Fitz; it looks like it'll mostly be a memory localized to Memphis. Considering that could be contained and adding the fact that he's gained respect as a coach, I'd be optimistic about his hiring.

Becky Hammon - didn't think her name would come up, huh? Ha, I'd actually look into her. She's a Popovich apprentice and nothing I've read suggests she's gotten where she has because of nepotism or any other nefarious reason. Knowing the elephant in the room - gender and 1940s stereotypes regarding whether athletes can stay professional with a woman in an authority position - if she has even a little bit of Pop magic, her presence in a NY ball club would go a long way in concreting that the Knicks are ready to be a true professional organization. As crazy as it sounds, Hammon one of my top choices.

Rivers
- I don't know. I just... I don't know why I don't know...but I don't know. Maybe that's a sign? :hubie:

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Gotten from a Realgm poster,

remi_222 said:
Translation from the major french bball website :
http://basket-infos.com/2018/04/10/...-je-sais-que-je-peux-devenir-un-grand-joueur/

"Now I know I can be a great player"

Frank, points record for you tonight (17pts, 6reb, 5ass), for your last game at the MSG this year, that shows well your consistant progression that you had all year along ?

Yes, I feel more and more confortable on the floor, I feel I can do more things. There was my first euro step; the last time I did a "Rondo" ... and it's motivating! Because now, and from what I saw in this League, I know I can be a great player. It's only up to me to work on everything, and not having any regrets at the end.

Even if you approach all games the same way, you feel things when it's a special night, in front of Lebron and the Cavs ?

Sure, there is a little of that. It's our last game at home, so we try to approach games the same way, but there is a little extra tonight. It's almost the end so let's go !

I asked you that because when we look at your good games, often are offensively good - even if these games dont represent your whole year since you bring more in the defensive end - it always happens in key games : first at the Garden, first tied game (Indianna ?), first Lonzo game, first Tony Parker game ...

I think effectively that there are key games, games that give us more adrenaline, excitation, that makes us having better games so we can feel better in these games.
But, it can be the opposite sometimes : we're so excited, so we start to be .... a bit messy. I think we need to keep being calm, be good, and use the excitation the right way. But I think you're right, there was some games where I was a little bit above (his usual level) because I was excited.

Lebron made a nice comment about you this morning, even if apparently you haven't hear about it. When he was drafted you were 4yrs old, you know him since forever. It has to be special for you no ?

I didn't hear about his comment. But I am thankful. Honestly, yes it's special. Now, it's the end of the season, so we can leave a bit the regular season context, take some steps back, even if we still have one more game ... But still, when I think about it, when I see the season, sometimes I sit down and think "Woaw, I am an NBA player, it was my dream since i'm a baby" Not everybody have the chance to live this dream! I do have the chance to play vs players I was a fan of before. I gave this chance to myself to be an opponent, or a teamate now, not a fan anymore.
So having some feedbacks like this one, remembering key moments like playing against Tony Parker, it's such a motivation. Sometimes I remember all these moments (when he was a kid) : All star game, playoff games when with my brothers we woke up during the night to watch them. Sometimes I think how much I come from far away from where Iam now, but also, it's not done, it gives so much motivation for the future.
When a player like Lebron has a comment on me like that, it made me switch ! and then you realize it's not "someone" who said that, it's one of the best NBA player in the history (cut off himself) I mean, i don't want to start a debate, but for me he's the best player in the basketball history. So, just lucky to be able to compete against him, it's a strong feeling. Motivates me to go further, find the top of my potental. Just want to bother them (the best NBA players) more, and not only make figuration. It is something !!

According to your previous performences, you knew that you had a offensive potential with you, you just needed to let it grow ?

According to the environment here, and according to the playbook, I was established to a role. I knew that offensively I could have an impact on the game. And it's not that I was avoiding offense, but I knew it would come step by step. It's a different style here, a different atmosphere, so I knew it would come. I know I have it with me, it's gonna grow, grow, grow, and sometimes fall, but we can it evolution.
And my role is just to keep working.

So, When you perform on this end of the floor, you're not surprised ...

I'm not surprised, because I'm aware of my potential and what i can do. I had it before, so it's not gone. It's a matter of confort and time. The only thing i'm sure about is that i'll give eveyrthing I have to increase my level. Offensively, defensively, in the leadership ... to the highest I can.

You were really injured, then small problems after, just before the season. Did these injuries had an impact ?

I didnt think about it ! I try to give the maximum on both ends, so say that I was taking it easy isnt my message. I just knew that defensively I could have this impact. But offensively, we can see that i wasnt taking the same amount of shots as i do now. Maybe i wasnt used to play in this game' style. im just more comfortable now.
And you mentioned the injury, of course today I feel so much better about it : I could work on my body, I could heal. I'm still bothered by it, but i feel more confortable everywhere on the floor.

Mostly, you had a elite defensive impact, for exemple you're the best guard in PnR defense ... I know you aren't satisfied with the season, but you can use it in a positive way for the future ...

I think now, you know in what kind of mentality iam, because you anticipate what i'm gonna say (laughs). I am happy tosee these stats. Motivates me to work harder on my body, my skills, to be the best i can b.
Like I said, it's not nothing to have these stats here in the NBA as a rookie, i have to use the positive things tat happened this year to step up in the future, it boosts me. It makes me stronger.

I really love this kid's mentality for the game. He's gonna keep getting better.

also @DPresidential agreed on Hammon. I'd take Messina over her but either of them is an exciting prospect for me with that Spurs connection and she'd probably have leeway with the media due to her NYC legacy with the Liberty.

Miles Davis

Prince of Darkness
Daps
Reppin
Bebop
I got my preferences but I don’t care who we get as long as they’re a good coach, can get the best out of our guys, has a good staff behind them, will give people a fair shot, develop the younger players properly and change this franchise around. So based on all that it sound like we need Jesus to coach the team:mjgrin:

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have hated seeing Jarret Jack take shots since game 1...

That being said, I think he's been a great influence on Frank and I hope he's here next year or when he retires, he becomes a player development coordinator or some other "non-head coach" coaching job. I've grown to respect him alot.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like Mark Jackson's legacy as a player but I have read enough to form a very lukewarm opinion on him. I see impending disaster and clashing written all over that type of Knicks reunion. Sorry.

David Blatt also seems a bit of a toxic acquisition; not necessarily from what he's guilty of, though. Considering the issues that already existed between the Bron camp and the Blatt administration - I don't really want to have that vibe here. It'll be all the NY media talks about and will make him guilty of a contrived media persona just because NY media wants clicks. The silver lining to a early Summer Blatt hiring would be a great exclamation point by NY management that they don't give a fukk about trying to woo Bron here. That would be a sigh of relief - not trying to be embarrassed again.

Fitzdale
, like any other human being, isn't the perfect man, but that's okay. His falling out in Memphis hasn't seemed to permeate throughout the league as something that'll follow Fitz; it looks like it'll mostly be a memory localized to Memphis. Considering that could be contained and adding the fact that he's gained respect as a coach, I'd be optimistic about his hiring.

Becky Hammon - didn't think her name would come up, huh? Ha, I'd actually look into her. She's a Popovich apprentice and nothing I've read suggests she's gotten where she has because of nepotism or any other nefarious reason. Knowing the elephant in the room - gender and 1940s stereotypes regarding whether athletes can stay professional with a woman in an authority position - if she has even a little bit of Pop magic, her presence in a NY ball club would go a long way in concreting that the Knicks are ready to be a true professional organization. As crazy as it sounds, Hammon one of my top choices.

Rivers
- I don't know. I just... I don't know why I don't know...but I don't know. Maybe that's a sign? :hubie:
Whos your final pick breh:patrice:
LeBron isnt comin here

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn

Thank God for statistics brehs who work the numbers to debunk narratives.

Considering we can expect a plethora of "The knicks fukked up their tank!!!! They aren't doing it right!!!" type of posts from now until a week after the actual draft...

Please refer to this actual post before declaring the knicks failed at a rebuild season after KP went down.

Unless you have the audacity to claim you'd somehow convince Kristaps Porzingis to throw games or fake injuries, there is nothing we could have done differently throughout the time KP was playing lights out.

The Knicks were not good this year and our draft position will reflect that. It was clear that the consensus in this thread was that what people were seeing with their own eyes was a failure to tank, I'm interested in who may change their tune to say "I knew all along they were tanking!"

The Knicks were probably the only team that didn't try to intentionally throw games w/ subs. I am happy about that, I'm happy that I was able to root for my team's development year, and I'm happy our draft position was about our genuine overall team capabilities as opposed to throwing games that fans pay to see effort in. :yeshrug:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Fizdale is my number 1 choice but he’s a pipe dream. He’s probably the top coaching candidate out there and he’ll have the pick of the litter (Milwaukee). Blatt might be a more realistic consolation. We’re a better fit for him (a young team he can grow with, like he originally had in Cleveland before Lebron signed).

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
All of this.

@seemorecizzy Breh, you are completely disregarding that this 19 year old, even in his timidness, is a beast on defense. His natural "neutral" state still equals elite defense.

What happens when that 19 year old is in his neutral state on offense? He's timid. We all know this. But, what have you seen when he's actually made the conscious effort to be aggressive? He's really shined.

Yesterday's game showed what to expect when the youngest player in the league STARTS to play with a chip on his shoulder knowing he's going to be judged by the greatest player in basketball who's already had a run-in w/ him as well as the NY media.

If he were a bum on offense, we'd see jerkiness, awkwardness and a blatant forcefulness that shows he's out of his element. What we actually saw was that smoothness and effortlessness translate very well in his aggressiveness.

:ohhh:
I'm actually starting to think Frank isn't even timid, I think he's strategic. Considering what I see him sneak in here and there, I feel like Frank is testing the waters on whether he actually has the green light to stunt.

As others have been saying, encourage him to go to these street exhibitions throughout the summer and to train w/ Timmy and Wade - We will see a coc00n.

KP is a Unicorn, Frank is a butterfly, and Timmy/Burke are Wolverines. As soon as we get Rambis "the weasal" out of NY, the Knicks will have that National Geographic shyt popping. :blessed:

I do think he was timid to start but that's not a knock on him cause of his age. But I also think he's a smart player who knows his strengths and weaknesses. He looks like he's putting it together. Coming out of nowhere with these driving fakes and dupes is beautiful to watch.

To contrast, I never saw this kind of progression with shumpert, he was pretty much an athletic bum with a broken jumper from the get go.