A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
Why is Kornet on this team? He was garbage in the summer league and he's garbage now. He's living off of the fact that he looks like he can shoot, what a waste of space.

One thing I've noticed about Kornet in his short stint with us is that his whole game goes to shyt when his shot isn't falling.

So unless he's hitting 3s he's pretty much useless.

Still, wouldn't mind him getting an extended look next season. He's a legit 7 footer with 3pt range and some rim protecting ability. I think that's worth a season long assessment to see if he can be a rotational big in this league, Knicks gunna be terrible again next season so why not :yeshrug: Low risk, high reward type move. If he sucks then you just waive him :manny:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
How are Nets so terrible :bryan:I would understand it if they still had their pick.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
If we don't do something dumb and win a game, between the Nets/Bulls playing we should at least move up one spot and that oughtta lock us into a spot where we get Bridges if we want him.

I can't watch these post game shows any more. Wally is one of the most clueless analysts I've ever seen, boot licking Kanter because of a resemblance to his pops and thrashing the youth for not being able to score 30 points in a game right away (while propping up Trey Burke who literally needed 4 years to come into his own).

Anyway, last night we had two scorers and mainly played them together. Burke and THJ were it and you're not beating anybody with that limited an offensive attack. Lee was our most aggressive piece off of the bench. Hicks, Dotson, Kornet...they're not magically becoming threats just because. Mudiay has known limitations. So unless we were keeping one of THJ or Burke out there at all times, there were gonna be big slowdowns and momentum drops which basically embodies our entire second half (also...the three I named above had played the night before in the G-League which is a pretty foolish way to get a real evaluation on them).

Anyway, this offseason's goals are looking clearer and clearer to me...granted they haven't changed much from what I figured at the offset of this one. Assuming we stick in our draft slot, grab Mikal. Hicks and Kornet are G-Leaguers for the time being; give those two way contracts to promising Undrafted kids. If someone else signs Hicks or Kornet, no harm done (Luke's got some potential but it's based on improving his footwork which I don't trust). Spend the offseason trying to find anyone to take Lance, Kanter and Noah off our hands (unlikely but worth trying the whole time). Look to get some value for Lee without being picky...a second rounder and an expiring will do at this point. The goal would be to create enough cap space to target a cheaper young guy (looking at Hezonja or Noel as intriguing options) and also cover the cost of bringing back Kyle O'Quinn (8-10 mil per would be ideal). If we did luck into the capspace to sign a Parker or Randle, I'd be down with that as well but it's unlikely.

I really want our starting line-up to be Burke/Frank/Bridges/KP/??? going forward with THJ as a sixth man. If Burke and KP don't mesh due to usage problems; Frank/THJ/Bridges/KP/??? with Burke as sixth man works too. Dump the older guys and if we need vets than make them the veteran's minimum contract type instead of the 7-18 million dollars a year type. One more lottery pick and some real cap space in the following offseason would put us in a position to line-up a full core for the future of the team.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I really want our starting line-up to be Burke/Frank/Bridges/KP/??? going forward with THJ as a sixth man. If Burke and KP don't mesh due to usage problems; Frank/THJ/Bridges/KP/??? with Burke as sixth man works too. Dump the older guys and if we need vets than make them the veteran's minimum contract type instead of the 7-18 million dollars a year type. One more lottery pick and some real cap space in the following offseason would put us in a position to line-up a full core for the future of the team.
KP has to play 5 next season and they need to let Frank play point whether it's starting or off the bench. I don't like THJ at 3 either, his handles are not good enough to take advantage of taller SFs and his defense is not good enough to hold his own again bigger SFs.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If we don't do something dumb and win a game, between the Nets/Bulls playing we should at least move up one spot and that oughtta lock us into a spot where we get Bridges if we want him.

I can't watch these post game shows any more. Wally is one of the most clueless analysts I've ever seen, boot licking Kanter because of a resemblance to his pops and thrashing the youth for not being able to score 30 points in a game right away (while propping up Trey Burke who literally needed 4 years to come into his own).

Anyway, last night we had two scorers and mainly played them together. Burke and THJ were it and you're not beating anybody with that limited an offensive attack. Lee was our most aggressive piece off of the bench. Hicks, Dotson, Kornet...they're not magically becoming threats just because. Mudiay has known limitations. So unless we were keeping one of THJ or Burke out there at all times, there were gonna be big slowdowns and momentum drops which basically embodies our entire second half (also...the three I named above had played the night before in the G-League which is a pretty foolish way to get a real evaluation on them).

Anyway, this offseason's goals are looking clearer and clearer to me...granted they haven't changed much from what I figured at the offset of this one. Assuming we stick in our draft slot, grab Mikal. Hicks and Kornet are G-Leaguers for the time being; give those two way contracts to promising Undrafted kids. If someone else signs Hicks or Kornet, no harm done (Luke's got some potential but it's based on improving his footwork which I don't trust). Spend the offseason trying to find anyone to take Lance, Kanter and Noah off our hands (unlikely but worth trying the whole time). Look to get some value for Lee without being picky...a second rounder and an expiring will do at this point. The goal would be to create enough cap space to target a cheaper young guy (looking at Hezonja or Noel as intriguing options) and also cover the cost of bringing back Kyle O'Quinn (8-10 mil per would be ideal). If we did luck into the capspace to sign a Parker or Randle, I'd be down with that as well but it's unlikely.

I watch the post game sparingly, but Wally always came off as a company shill to me; even when he criticized the Knicks or someone specifically, the criticism was soft, there was always a positive or silver lining to go along with it. So when I heard him shyt on Frank and practically dismiss his defense, while being a hypocrite in regards to Trey and Franks situations, I can't help but think he's been given the green light to speak this way. Call me paranoid, but it was odd to hear from Wally; I know he's not a dumb guy so he had to see how he was being inconsistent when he was speaking about Frank.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If the Knicks trade Frank this off-season and make Mudiay the back up they're fools.Strong defense, great vision, good shooting form and a solid jumper, Frank's strong in a lot of area's that players don't necessarily improve upon by leaps and bounds once they get into the NBA. What Frank needs is better conditioning and handles so he can take advantage of his strengths, it's like the linchpin that'll bring everything together for him.Once Frank becomes stronger, leaner, capable of taking contact and finishing ( probably a big reason why he doesn't look to attack all that often, and less to do with the aggression he lacks like some say) and a better ball handler, I think he'll improve in a hurry. He's still getting used to the speed of the NBA too, defenses have been respecting his jumper a bit more and started closing out hard on him, so he's been missing good looks more often this last month or so, but that's something that'll only improve with experience( He's been trying to attack hard close outs instead recently, so he's trying to adapt).

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watch the post game sparingly, but Wally always came off as a company shill to me; even when he criticized the Knicks or someone specifically, the criticism was soft, there was always a positive or silver lining to go along with it. So when I heard him shyt on Frank and practically dismiss his defense, while being a hypocrite in regards to Trey and Franks situations, I can't help but think he's been given the green light to speak this way. Call me paranoid, but it was odd to hear from Wally; I know he's not a dumb guy so he had to see how he was being inconsistent when he was speaking about Frank.

Fam I'm horrified. Harvey Araton especially got me shook

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
KP has to play 5 next season and they need to let Frank play point whether it's starting or off the bench. I don't like THJ at 3 either, his handles are not good enough to take advantage of taller SFs and his defense is not good enough to hold his own again bigger SFs.

I'll hold on KP's position for now. Not sure what will be harsher on his knees, trying to hold bigs in the post or chasing stretch 4's but whichever is safer I'll take for the short term. Long term, I want him at the 5 for sure. THJ as a SG definitely makes more sense, Bridges is a perfect fit with Frank and either THJ at SG or Burke at PG as the secondary scorer while KP does his thing as the primary. Burke's been good, I don't project him as a long term starter though...more of a high caliber sixth man. That leaves Frank the 1 and THJ the 2 spot in my ideal situation. Frank/Mikal/KP; two high level perimeter defenders in front of an elite rim protector with space for a pure scorer to fit and the one leftover need being rebounding from your second big.