A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
Rough game by Frank, 1 for 6 FG, 3 Pts,1 Ast, 3 TO's. Defense wasn't particularly impactful or standout-ish in this one; but that has more to do with the mismatches Philly presents moreso than lack of effort. I mention all this to say, relieved he didn't get the quick hook and got to play somewhat thru his struggles. Only took 70+ games to get to this level of decent treatment :martin:

Last edited:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
When Kanter opts in they won't have enough cap space to tender an offer outright to either of those guys, best option is to do a sign & trade. Actually, its the best option with Kanter regardless of whomever they decide to target in FA.

Waiving him makes no sense, but I presume your joking, I think :skip:

Just in case your not joking:
He has enough value where you can get something decent back in a trade, if not you keep him and let that 18 mill come off the books, further cap space/relief for the summer of 2019. Waiving him and getting nothing back would be absolutely terrible :snoop:

:dead: @ the Shannon Sharpe smiley

Wholeheartedly agree on your last point, Kanter isn't the answer, short term or long term. Which is why, for the umpteenth time, sign-and-trade is the best option available regarding Kanter.

Does he opt out for that contract, or do they need to trade the full 18 mil?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm not as worried about Kanter as THJ right now. Kanter's here for another year and gone. Timmy looks like he's mentally checked out on some nights at a time when he should be taking the reins. Not only that, but the guy who took the reins from him is making the minimum this year and next, played in the G-league to start the season and is insanely more efficient than the 17 million dollar per year for the next 3 years man. Just to hammer home the efficiency issue here, Tim's a 31% shooter from 3 this late; so is Frank Ntilikina who has struggled with his jumper and inconsistent minutes all year (to be fair the volume is waaay different). When KP was killing and drawing attention, Tim was great but he really looks like a sixth man gunner to me and even that becomes questionable because of how much he's taken a backseat. My guess is that he's more or less looking to let other players shine (he's made some extra passes lately especially to the homie Burke) but it's not what I expect to see. Drawing up a play or two is cool, leadership is being reliable for 20 a night on a team that sorely lacks offensive talent (besides Burke, Kanter and Beasley who he SHOULD outperform). We need more than streaky for what this guy is being paid and nobody seems to be holding him accountable because of the feel-good story that is Trey Burke. But Burke's success just puts a magnifying glass to THJ's lack thereof in my eyes.

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
Does he opt out for that contract, or do they need to trade the full 18 mil?

Opt in. Not exactly sure of the specifics, but for a trade to be completed, contracts don't have to match up exactly dollar for dollar, just be close in value.

Even if he opts in and they dont trade him, thats an expiring contract next season, 18 mill of cap space/relief for the summer of 2019. Win-win either way.

And if by some miracle he opts out, ok, let him go. Or, the sign n trade option is still available, just a little more difficult to pull off since his contract wont be expiring so less teams will have interest. But, even in this scenario, you can still pull off a sign n trade and get decent return value.

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
I'm not as worried about Kanter as THJ right now. Kanter's here for another year and gone. Timmy looks like he's mentally checked out on some nights at a time when he should be taking the reins. Not only that, but the guy who took the reins from him is making the minimum this year and next, played in the G-league to start the season and is insanely more efficient than the 17 million dollar per year for the next 3 years man. Just to hammer home the efficiency issue here, Tim's a 31% shooter from 3 this late; so is Frank Ntilikina who has struggled with his jumper and inconsistent minutes all year (to be fair the volume is waaay different). When KP was killing and drawing attention, Tim was great but he really looks like a sixth man gunner to me and even that becomes questionable because of how much he's taken a backseat. My guess is that he's more or less looking to let other players shine (he's made some extra passes lately especially to the homie Burke) but it's not what I expect to see. Drawing up a play or two is cool, leadership is being reliable for 20 a night on a team that sorely lacks offensive talent (besides Burke, Kanter and Beasley who he SHOULD outperform). We need more than streaky for what this guy is being paid and nobody seems to be holding him accountable because of the feel-good story that is Trey Burke. But Burke's success just puts a magnifying glass to THJ's lack thereof in my eyes.

THJR scoring & shooting efficiency has been disappointing for a good chunk of the season, to say the least. One bright spot tho, on nights when his shot isnt falling he's been able to find other ways to contribute, getting rebounds, steals, assits, etc. That's somewhat encouraging :yeshrug:

But he is overpaid. Knicks are paying him like he is a 1B/second option type player, when in reality at his peak he's probably more like a 3rd/4th option type player. Overall, looks like a prototypical 6th man (so far), but who the hell pays a 6th man 17-18 mill a year:huhldup: :snoop:
Im pretty sure the 6th man role is not what the Knicks had in mind when they penned him to that deal :francis:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
THJR scoring & shooting efficiency has been disappointing for a good chunk of the season, to say the least. One bright spot tho, on nights when his shot isnt falling he's been able to find other ways to contribute, getting rebounds, steals, assits, etc. That's somewhat encouraging :yeshrug:

But he is overpaid. Knicks are paying him like he is a 1B/second option type player, when in reality at his peak he's probably more like a 3rd/4th option type player. Overall, looks like a prototypical 6th man (so far), but who the hell pays a 6th man 17-18 mill a year:huhldup: :snoop:
Im pretty sure the 6th man role is not what the Knicks had in mind when they penned him to that deal :francis:

Fam, I voiced similar sentiments over at realgm in a discussion. Check this (don't mind the opening line, it was a response to disappointed posters about his defense)

I'll tell you what though, he got up for defending Beal and did a really solid job all night when they matched up. My biggest frustration is that I think he CAN be a lot of things but doesn't mentally lock in to any of it. He's great as a slasher, fast break man, catch and shoot outlet man and also has the requisites to play good defense...he just doesn't do all of it at once, sans that hot streak he had before his stress fracture. I think a good coach could get more out of him but Idk how many coaches with the qualities needed are out there. I don't see Rivers or Jackson accomplishing much with him, in which case we're paying a sixth man to be a key starter.

Great minds think alike.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tim isn't that good
don't be having high expectations for him
hes suitable as a 4th option, 3rd on a good night
he can't carry a load on his own, nor should be asked too

hes a solid role player with the right coach and the right players around him
once you give him free reign, you get bad results
the coach in atlanta had him on his manners
no one takes horn seriously. hopefully the new coach can utilize him better

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Was listening to the Knicks Wall podcast and they threw Stackhouse as a potential coaching candidate. I know he’s been getting very high praise among the league for his work with the raptors G League team for a couple years now... what you guys think?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Was listening to the Knicks Wall podcast and they threw Stackhouse as a potential coaching candidate. I know he’s been getting very high praise among the league for his work with the raptors G League team for a couple years now... what you guys think?
He’s high on my list.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

No more gambles
just get someone we already know is a good coach

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Random, but this has been the most normal season the Knicks have had in a long while, its kinda nice.

Everytime i hear about Stackhouse its been in a positive light, id support the move.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens

Wouldn't be against it but I'd rather they go the young college coach route. Coaches need to be scouted like players these days.