A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

@storyteller I absolutely feel you on the skepticism.

I'm hype just because he's a Knick, but to be objective, this feels very much like Brandon Jennings.

I said earlier that I need consistency from both Timmy and Burke; I'm more confident about Timmy though.

It just seems too good to be true, and w/ the Knicks, it usually is. But if this kid has actually arrived - WOW

Fam, if this is Burke then we just bumped up our rebuild by a year. This is the part of the year where you take everything with a grain of salt though and just stay hopeful. I hope Mikal gets to our spot and we pick him. I think we should pencil Burke in to start next season and find out if he can run like this A) when he's rocking against teams that are fresh and locked in; B) when KP is back so that his usage declines; and C) to get a larger sample size because his midrange efficiency just looks unsustainable to me.

I would be hype to have Burke/Frank/Bridges/KP lock up our future with THJ sliding into a sixth man, instant offense role where he can run and gun to his heart's content. The last key piece would be the right big to slot next to KP. That said, I'm still a big fan of Frank learning the PG role. Burke's PG game just isn't my type. He's shoot-first and find the assist second. But he'll dribble until he finds one of those options. My favorite PG's keep the ball moving (as do my favorite offenses). They make the pass that leads to the assist as much as they make the assist and the ball hits three or four guys before a shot on every trip down. Those PG's don't exist much any more though and if Burke is this efficient then there's nothing to complain about. Just a viewing preference.

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
Man. Why the fukk are we not tanking?!:dahell:

Knicks are 4-20 in their last 24 games. Still the 3rd worst record in the entire league over that time span. They lost the Hornets game. If that's not tanking, I dont know what is :skip::dwillhuh:

They could be playing the young guys a bit more, but they are playing. Earlier in the season they all would have been glued to the bench, but they are playing. Hornacek is a frustrating coach, and needs to :camby:, but the tank is too strong for him to overcome :youngsabo:
Tank is strong breh, just started too late. The only thing that could have improved our lotto chances was KP getting injured earlier in the season :francis: It is what it is tho :yeshrug:

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
Burke's PG game just isn't my type. He's shoot-first and find the assist second.

And, a bit undersized. So is Walker, and perennially, you see how his squads do. Scratching and clawing for the final playoff spot, or missing it all together by a few games and finishing 9th or 10th in the conference; ending up with a middle of the 1st rd draft pick that they routinely miss on.

Not all of this is on Walker of course, but, it's difficult to build around a shoot-first, undersized PG. Gotta have an excellent defensive frontcourt, and a strong defensive bulldog wing to pair him with in the backcourt to compensate for his deficiencies/liabilities. And when the shot isn't falling, does the rest of his game go to shyt or is he able to impact the game in other ways, setting up teammates, get steals, etc. Burke's performance this season has been enjoyable, but, still skeptical of him as a starting PG.

As stated above, I'm interested to see how Burke plays when the shot isn't falling, is he able to contribute in other ways or does his whole game go to shyt.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fam, if this is Burke then we just bumped up our rebuild by a year. This is the part of the year where you take everything with a grain of salt though and just stay hopeful. I hope Mikal gets to our spot and we pick him. I think we should pencil Burke in to start next season and find out if he can run like this A) when he's rocking against teams that are fresh and locked in; B) when KP is back so that his usage declines; and C) to get a larger sample size because his midrange efficiency just looks unsustainable to me.

I would be hype to have Burke/Frank/Bridges/KP lock up our future with THJ sliding into a sixth man, instant offense role where he can run and gun to his heart's content. The last key piece would be the right big to slot next to KP. That said, I'm still a big fan of Frank learning the PG role. Burke's PG game just isn't my type. He's shoot-first and find the assist second. But he'll dribble until he finds one of those options. My favorite PG's keep the ball moving (as do my favorite offenses). They make the pass that leads to the assist as much as they make the assist and the ball hits three or four guys before a shot on every trip down. Those PG's don't exist much any more though and if Burke is this efficient then there's nothing to complain about. Just a viewing preference.
Y'all still on this frank needs to play the 2 garbage:dwillhuh:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Y'all still on this frank needs to play the 2 garbage:dwillhuh:

I would be hype to have Burke/Frank/Bridges/KP lock up our future with THJ sliding into a sixth man, instant offense role where he can run and gun to his heart's content. The last key piece would be the right big to slot next to KP. That said, I'm still a big fan of Frank learning the PG role.

Don't cherry pick a post to push a false narrative.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
So if/when Kanter Opts out...... should the Knicks go after Julius Randle?

:jbhmm: It would force KP to play more center, but they could likely keep still KOQ as well for lineups of KP at the 4.....

If they draft Mikal that is a core of a pretty damn good defensive team. Then in 2019 they would still have close to Max money after waiving the older players/bums, and they could be coming in with another lottery pick on the next year too.

Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon.

That’s who they should go after in order of importance. Kanter won’t opt out tho. No way in hell.

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
Knicks' Trey Burke has excelled with his midrange jumper and much more
By: Bryan Kalbrosky | March 27, 2018

New York Knicks guard Trey Burke scored a career-high 42 points and added 12 assists during a loss to the Charlotte Hornets on Monday night.

Burke has shown range and versatility as a scorer, which helped him put on an electrifying performance against the Hornets. He has impressed in various ways after signing a deal for the remainder of the season in January.

He dominated in the G Leauge and his shooting prowess has continued in the NBA, so we broke down how he is scoring so well over the last few months.

MidRange Shots/Jump ShotS

His jump shot has looked smooth since he signed his contract with the Knicks. He is shooting 97-of-195 (49.7 percent) on jumpers so far this season, which ranks No. 4 overall among those with at least 20 possessions.

On his dribble jumpers, he is shooting 75-of-148 (50.7 percent) while with New York. This is the most accurate (minimum: 100 possessions) so far this season.

This has helped him look extremely sharp on midrange shots, averaging
3.6 midrange shots made per game since the All-Star break. This currently leads all players in the Eastern Conference.

This season, Burke has averaged 1.24 PPP on shot attempts taken between 17 feet and 24 feet of the basket. This is by far the most efficient among those with at least 25 possessions, per Synergy Sports.

swish-20.png

The 25-year-old is currently shooting 78-of-137 (56.9 percent) on midrange shots. This has been the most accurate in the league among all players who have had 100 or more attempts from this zone.

While they have the same total shot attempts on field goals between 16 and 24 feet of the basket, Golden State’s Stephen Curry has made just two more shots than Burke. Otherwise, the New York guard currently has the best field goal percentage (
minimum: 90 attempts) from this range.

When breaking it down further, he has been the most accurate (
62.0 percent) among all players with at least 50 attempts from within 20 to 24 feet of the basket as well.

If he can convert those long midrange jumpers to three-pointers, he will be an even more valuable player for the Knicks.

Spot-Up Attempts/Catch-and-shoot Attempts
dashboard-1-39.png

As expected, he has impressed on spot-ups since he was signed this year. Last season, the only player (minimum: 50 possessions) who was more efficient on this play type was Kyle Korver.

He has produced again, currently averaging an astonishing 1.40 points per possession when spotting up. This ranks No. 4 (behind Korver once again and Golden State’s Kevin Durant) among those with at least 40 possessions, per Synergy Sports.

Among those with as many catch-and-shoot opportunities, meanwhile, the only players who have been more accurate are Durant and Miami’s Hassan Whiteside.

Burke has averaged 1.53 PPP when guarded on catch-and-shoot attempts, which ranks No. 4 overall in the league. Overall, he is shooting 12-of-16 (75.0 percent) on two-pointers when defenders are within two feet of him.

BallHandler (Pick-And-Roll and Transition)

Burke is shooting 67-of-126 (53.2 percent) as the ballhandler in a pick-and-roll offense so far this season. He has been the most accurate on this play type (minimum: 100 possessions) among all players this season except for Boston’s Kyrie Irving.

He has looked great as the ballhandler in transition, too. Burke has averaged 1.11 PPP for the Knicks, which ranks No. 23 in the NBA among those with at least 25 possessions.

As a distributor, his teammates are 8-for-11 (72.7 percent) after he finds them cutting to the basket when he is running a pick-and-roll.

Tim Haradway Jr. (who is shooting 42.2 percent from the field) is currently shooting 53.6 percent after passes from Burke. Even more impressive, rookie guard Frank Ntilikina is shooting 31.4 percent from three-point range but 53.8 percent from long range when he has received passes from Burke.

His presence has been a bright spot for the Knicks, who have struggled quite a bit since the injury to Kristaps Porzingis.

Link: Knicks' Trey Burke has excelled with his midrange jumper and much more

His numbers are not gonna sustain these ridiculous percentages and usage rate, but if he can just shoot at a league average TS%, and pass and defend at a semi-respectable level (which he's been doing so far), that's a quality back-up PG under control for another year. :manny:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon.

That’s who they should go after in order of importance. Kanter won’t opt out tho. No way in hell.

He legit might, now is the time to get a longer contract cause he looked like an all star for a few months. If he gets injured or plays shytty next season he would be ruined. Kanter also just hired an agent so it's a sign he expects to be negotiating soon.

Outside of Randle who I think could give the Knicks a Zbo/Gasol type frontcourt next to KP in the Halfcourt (but mobile enough to take advantage of transition offense). I legit don't like any of the names you mentioned.

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
I love my knickstape brethren, but you guys are bugging if you think trey burke is a part of our future as a starter lol. There’s a reason he was out of the league. He definitely deserves a spot on the roster but we ain’t competing for no playoff spot if we going into the future with burke.

Frank is our future PG and I’m sticking to him for another 2 seasons before i call him trash or a bust.

Definitely not interested in parker or throwing a max to him jabari. I’d rather have randle or gordan, but definitely not for max, but if that’s the market, we have to match it.

Next season
PG- Frank
SG- Timmy
SF- Mikal bridges (I hope he falls to us)
PF- Gordon or Randle
C- Kanter (he won’t opt out)

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I love my knickstape brethren, but you guys are bugging if you think trey burke is a part of our future as a starter lol. There’s a reason he was out of the league. He definitely deserves a spot on the roster but we ain’t competing for no playoff spot if we going into the future with burke.

Frank is our future PG and I’m sticking to him for another 2 seasons before i call him trash or a bust.

Definitely not interested in parker or throwing a max to him jabari. I’d rather have randle or gordan, but definitely not for max, but if that’s the market, we have to match it.

Next season
PG- Frank
SG- Timmy
SF- Mikal bridges (I hope he falls to us)
PF- Gordon or Randle
C- Kanter (he won’t opt out)

I don't think they afford anybody else if Kanter opts in.

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
So if/when Kanter Opts out...... should the Knicks go after Julius Randle?

:jbhmm: It would force KP to play more center, but they could likely keep still KOQ as well for lineups of KP at the 4.....

If they draft Mikal that is a core of a pretty damn good defensive team. Then in 2019 they would still have close to Max money after waiving the older players/bums, and they could be coming in with another lottery pick on the next year too.

He legit might, now is the time to get a longer contract cause he looked like an all star for a few months. If he gets injured or plays shytty next season he would be ruined. Kanter also just hired an agent so it's a sign he expects to be negotiating soon.

Outside of Randle who I think could give the Knicks a Zbo/Gasol type frontcourt next to KP in the Halfcourt (but mobile enough to take advantage of transition offense). I legit don't like any of the names you mentioned.

:patrice:........idk abt this. I really doubt he doesn't opt in, I'd be really surprised if Kanter didn't. Not a lot of teams have cap space this summer, and the ones that do have cap space don't really have a need for a center, at least not a desperate enough need to throw a bag at Kanter :skip: