A Black Reboot of The Wonder Years (1960's Alabama) - ABC (Produced By Fred Savage & Lee Daniels)

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It was EXTREMELY good.

At times it reminded me of the “black” reboot i’d always wanted to see as a young boy watching the original.

They switched up a couple things (no spoilers) but it was all in service to the story and making the characters authentically black and speaking to our experiences.

Dule’ Hill is the true star of the show. He stole EVERY scene he was in.

After the pilot, i’m locked in. I hope they continue the quality

That's a huge problem in my opinion. The show is supposed to be about the kid, so they're gonna have to dial Dule back. A comparison may be Delroy in Crooklyn.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Tone was kinda jarring compared to the original. Didn’t know whether this wanted to be The Wonder Years or Everybody Hates Chris at times, but it looks like they’re doing their own thing so I’ll let em rock. I definitely miss the grounded, slice of life moments of the OG and while some scenes felt forced in this episode, it still has its relatable moments that tug at the heartstrings.

It’s an enjoyable watch so far and I hope it finds its groove in these upcoming episodes. The Wonder Years back on ABC is a welcoming sight.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That's a huge problem in my opinion. The show is supposed to be about the kid, so they're gonna have to dial Dule back. A comparison may be Delroy in Crooklyn.

Not a problem for me as I can see multiple avenues for strong storylines involving him as a father and provider, which is still a needed aspect of black male representation in mainstream storytelling. Its not like the rest of the cast is wack he’s just the strongest actor and he knocks the character out the park.

The kids I feel are talented enough to grow into the roles and with stronger written episodes they’ll have the chance to shine. The Pilot is usually the weakest episode of any inaugural season. The last television series I saw that absolutely came out with a 10/10 Pilot episode was Atlanta back in 2016

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
After episode 2, I feel they need to change the name of the show. It definitely doesn't hit the emotional chords of the OG. It's more of the Goldbergs/Everybody Hates Chris vibes..in a different decade...and that's cool, if that's what they were going for, but overall it's not as powerful as it cold be.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
After episode 2, I feel they need to change the name of the show. It definitely doesn't hit the emotional chords of the OG. It's more of the Goldbergs/Everybody Hates Chris vibes..in a different decade...and that's cool, if that's what they were going for, but overall it's not as powerful as it cold be.
All of the teachers in this basically:

cbs-CW_EHC_03-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1581158702569._SX1080_.jpg

Last edited:

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Funny thing is we already had our version of Wonder Years with Everybody Hates Chris :manny:

Came in here to post this.

It was decent, but it felt like a show that Everybody Hates Chris did much better.

Really made me appreciate how great of a show Everybody Hates Chris was.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I liked it a lot.

Another thing I see may be a problem is the disconnect in the young actors. They're too far removed from that era to truly understand, and convey it on screen, so that may take some time. The OG was only one generation removed from that era so there was a direct connection from that era to the time it premiered in. We're now 2 generations from that, so these kids aren't hitting the same with everything that has transpired since.
Man, Fred Savage had no connection to the late 60s/early 70s. He had no idea about the Civil Rights Movement or Vietnam from a first-hand account.

They are actors, let that go.

i dont even remember the intro. the OG show had one of the GOAT song and title sequences. still not sure why this remake exists. some elements were cheap but it's not terrible. comes across as one of those shows that tries to teach white people to understand black people. if it remains like that, i will tap out, but for now i will stick around for the next episode.
I agree with this too, but I didn't get that tone from the pilot.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I liked it a lot.

Man, Fred Savage had no connection to the late 60s/early 70s. He had no idea about the Civil Rights Movement or Vietnam from a first-hand account.

They are actors, let that go.

I agree with this too, but I didn't get that tone from the pilot.

I said a direct connection being 1 generation removed. These children today aren't even being forced to listen to their parents/grandparents music, they can't be disciplined by the neighbors...so there are things that connect generations that have been severed. Watchin these kids on screen, I'm not getting the vibes of them growing up in an era where all of your leisure was spent outside. At least they aren't conveying it on screen. Watch the OG or Stand By Me...or even The Sandlot and say that the kids feel out of place.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I said a direct connection being 1 generation removed. These children today aren't even being forced to listen to their parents/grandparents music, they can't be disciplined by the neighbors...so there are things that connect generations that have been severed. Watchin these kids on screen, I'm not getting the vibes of them growing up in an era where all of your leisure was spent outside. At least they aren't conveying it on screen. Watch the OG or Stand By Me...or even The Sandlot and say that the kids feel out of place.
I know what you said and meant. Fred Savage had no idea about any of what was going on during the original Wonder Years. He said it in interviews. I remember him saying that in an interview a few years ago. He was 11 when the Wonder Years happened. We have to stop projecting our feelings and beliefs on to these people.

Most of us come of age when we are like 10 or 11. The Goonies meant more to Fred Savage than the Tet Offensive. Its like that Jerrod Carmicheal joke about Jay-Z meaning more to him than MLK.

I was like 6 or 7 when the US invaded Iraq during the first Desert Storm. I promise I can tell you fukk all about that, lol.

shyt, even 9-11, there are 30+ year olds who didn't live in NYC or DC areas that felt bad but didn't see a huge impact from what happened that day. (not the impact afterwards with TSA, surveillance, etc)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The second episode was FIRE.

I love how they juxtaposed Martin Luther King’s death with the problems of being a young child going through puberty. Also Dule Hill continues to KILL IT as the father. That scene where he and Dean were fishing and he was opening up about how King’s death was affecting him was top tier acting.

I’m really liking this show. Its making me miss my own father RIP:mjcry:. Me and him used to watch the original Wonder Years together and I knew he would have loved this reboot