A Black Reboot of The Wonder Years (1960's Alabama) - ABC (Produced By Fred Savage & Lee Daniels)

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i dont even remember the intro. the OG show had one of the GOAT song and title sequences. still not sure why this remake exists. some elements were cheap but it's not terrible. comes across as one of those shows that tries to teach white people to understand black people. if it remains like that, i will tap out, but for now i will stick around for the next episode.

RhymesWell

All Star
Daps
It was okay. It definitely didn't hit as hard as the pilot of the OG, but so far, it has it's own tone. Whether or not that's good for the series, I shall see.

One of the things I see the show going wrong with is that these shows are always about the kids, and how everything relates to him/them. They may have to dial Dule's part back some. Also, we already don't like the best friend or the girl.

Another thing I see may be a problem is the disconnect in the young actors. They're too far removed from that era to truly understand, and convey it on screen, so that may take some time. The OG was only one generation removed from that era so there was a direct connection from that era to the time it premiered in. We're now 2 generations from that, so these kids aren't hitting the same with everything that has transpired since.

Completely agree with your last statement. They should've done a later time period. This ain't gonna work.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I like it, it’s a family / kid show but we also were watching the OG show with kid eyes so it’s not fair to really compare it to the other since we’re judging it the new one as adults. Plus let it at least get a full season down

That's the thing tho. It's made for both perspectives. The premise of the show is a adult looking back on his time as a kid....a specific period in time. So even as an adult, his narration is supposed to resonate with you...perhaps for different reasons. But you're always looking back at those points with the wonderment of a kid...something creatives tell you to never let slip away. The things that should remain is the disconnect between being a child of that era, and their parents. Because they went with focusing on parents for the emotional moment, it didn't hit as hard as OG pilot with Brian Cooper, which resonated more with Kevin world.

It's called The Wonder Years, so that comparison is fair. But so far, the tone is lighter - in pilot comparisons alone. The OG was a drama, with some comedic elements, but the show rarely felt like you were watching a comedy. Even in the pilot, you got the sense that Kevin thought he was bigger and badder than he actually was. He was tough when he threw the apple, then he punked out when the principal gave him that look.

They're gonna have to find that right tone, IF they want it to do what the OG did. I'll give it about 6 episodes.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Funny thing is we already had our version of Wonder Years with Everybody Hates Chris :manny:

I still feel like that show doesn't get the props it deserves. Maybe it was ahead of its time, or because it wasn't on NBC or ABC, but I feel like people underrate it.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Did anyone watch? I'm checking it out now.

It was EXTREMELY good.

At times it reminded me of the “black” reboot i’d always wanted to see as a young boy watching the original.

They switched up a couple things (no spoilers) but it was all in service to the story and making the characters authentically black and speaking to our experiences.

Dule’ Hill is the true star of the show. He stole EVERY scene he was in.

After the pilot, i’m locked in. I hope they continue the quality

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
It was EXTREMELY good.

At times it reminded me of the “black” reboot i’d always wanted to see as a young boy watching the original.

They switched up a couple things (no spoilers) but it was all in service to the story and making the characters authentically black and speaking to our experiences.

Dule’ Hill is the true star of the show. He stole EVERY scene he was in.

After the pilot, i’m locked in. I hope they continue the quality
Dule kills it in every role he's in..Especially Ballers & Psych