A 2Pac and DMX rivalry would have been the wildest rap beef of all time.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
As a big fan of both I think there’s a lot of similarities between X and Pac.

Bald, tatted up, stayed with his shirt off, rocked bandanas and leather vests, yelled on songs and dissed nikkas in a brazen way similar to Pac. X rapped a lot about death, the devil, the struggle, etc like Pac and he would write story/metaphor joints like Damien and The Convo like Pac.

Not to mention Dee & Wah have that flick with Pac in 96

Also if you listen to X pre-RR demo shyt, you can see that they took a page out of Pac’s book to rebrand him. I think it just worked because of who X naturally is, so it didn’t feel fake like a Ja or Lil Zane. But the similarities are there
I get the look similarities from a label perspective, but I laid out the differences in their rap styles. It was waaaaay different.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Damien and The Convo would damn near fit right in on Makaveli
Ehhhh that's a stretch. Those songs really not in Pac's wheelhouse like that. Same way "Who We Be" is not really DMX's style but he branched out for a record.

But generally speaking, their subject matters differ greatly, so did their actually rhyming styles and patterns.

DMX's style was way more darker, way more battle rap heavy, why more violence. Pac spoke from the perspective of the youth growing up in the ghetto in a more general way. DMX was more drawing from personal experiences.

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

It wouldn't make sense for Pac to be around death row in 94
Yeah that's the photo I was thinking about. That's 1994. Pac was around Death Row in 1994 because the Above the Rim Soundtrack was released by Death Row. He wasn't signed to them yet, but he had a relationship with them because of that. Looked at how they're dressed. That's not 1996 lol. This was before Pac went to jail. Notice Pac don't even have the Death Row chain

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
DMX was battle raps, street crime stories, spirituality, violence and horrorcore, and personal demons he's dealing with
Pac was about social, political issues, uplifting of black community, street tales of young black males in America, and his legal battles, and diss songs

Its as if you never listened to Pac before. Literally everything bolded is a central tenet to his music.

Coping with all his dead homies, heaven/hell, paranoia, suicidal thoughts, his evil nature, etc

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
Yeah that's the photo I was thinking about. That's 1994. Pac was around Death Row in 1994 because the Above the Rim Soundtrack was released by Death Row. He wasn't signed to them yet, but he had a relationship with them because of that. Looked at how they're dressed. That's not 1996 lol. This was before Pac went to jail. Notice Pac don't even have the Death Row chain

Well I don't how often Pac was around DR before signing to them but Suge did break him off a low 6 figure check for those songs so it could be true

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Its as if you never listened to Pac before. Literally everything bolded is a central tenet to his music.

Coping with all his dead homies, heaven/hell, paranoia, suicidal thoughts, his evil nature, etc
Pac had spirituality but he didn't lean into like X. X straight up made a bunch of Gospel records. lol.

When did Pac do Horrorcore or gratuitous violence? I'm not the biggest Pac fan in the world, but I'm very familiar with his discography and that's never really been his thing. When Pac spoke on violence it was usually from the perspective of a lost teen or in a story form. X would do straight up rob you and shoot you in the face just because I'm broke music from a first person perspective.

Personal demons I'll give you but I was speaking more from being vulnerable like X was.

Also Pac was waaay more flashy. He spoke a lot about money, having shyt, women. Pac's lifestyle in his music also reflected one of a celebrity that was living it up. Even when X was at his peak, he never really bragged about wealth, clothes, cars etc..

The majority of the X/Pac comp comes from record label/media driven narratives from their look. But if you actually listened to their music, they weren't similar rappers. If DMX looked like Fabolous, but rapped exactly the same as he did, nobody would compare him to 2Pac

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Main thing that links them is they were both conflicted, spiritual, torn between Self betterment but addicted to wrecking ish in the interim while on a quest for their own salvation. That and the bald head, tatted up, shirt off thing but stylistically they're quite different as they didn't push the pen the same way. Both were equally authentic but Pacs image/death definitely helped X break through in that respect. Pac was more talented and multifaceted.

Whereas Pac wanted to be a boss playa X would rather be a preacher. Both are the same thing, if you think about it as you've never seen a broke minister, but the path is different.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
As a big fan of both I think there’s a lot of similarities between X and Pac

Aggressive, bald, tatted up, stayed with his shirt off, rocked bandanas and leather vests, yelled on songs and dissed nikkas in a brazen way similar to Pac

X rapped a lot about death, the devil, the struggle, etc like Pac and he would write story/metaphor joints like Damien and The Convo like Pac

Not to mention Dee & Wah have that flick with Pac in 96

Also if you listen to X pre-RR demo shyt, you can see that they took a page out of Pac’s book to rebrand him. I think it just worked because of who X naturally is, so it didn’t feel fake like Ja

Damien is clearly Snoop inspiref (Murder Was The Case). Nothing to do with Pac.

X clearly rocked with Snoop when he came 1st out, as we heard on Verzuz.

Bondye Vodou

Proud practitioner of the "High Science"
Daps
I don't see their rap styles as similar at all

DMX was battle raps, street crime stories, spirituality, violence and horrorcore, and personal demons he's dealing with
Pac was about social, political issues, uplifting of black community, street tales of young black males in America, and his legal battles, and diss songs

They were bald headed and wore bandanas. So I get that connection. But as far as rapping, outside of being passionate about what they rapped about, I don't see similarities in their actual style. X was a cross between Scarface and Onyx.
These retards think any one who does introspective/emo gangsta raps was copying 2pac.

:dead:

This is DMX from the early 90s

Child_Of_God

Love is a long road.
Daps
Reppin
Washington D.C.
DMX met 2pac after he dissed him on some underground mixtape (using the get at me dog verse) and was friendly to him

That's some phony shyt, with all due respect to the dead
I heard the two never actually met and DMX only saw a glimpse of him in a hotel if I’m not mistaken.

Daps
Just imagine if Pac lived long enough to see the rise of DMX (DMX originally dissed him in Get At Me Dog). Both were pretty similar in terms of rap style and having wild and unpredictable personalities.

shyt would have been the craziest beef of all time. :wow:

DMX & Tupac Shakur we’re not similar in rap style at all