8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth

:laff:I fell out laughin when I saw that headline

Bobby Brown lookin:flabbynsick:is indicative of the state of R&B right now, when I first saw that pic I literally thought it was Larry Holmes.

Actually it's the state of RnB complainers right now...

Bobby Brown doesn't make music anymore... But others do.

Again, it's you nikkas fault for not supporting the ones that do:yeshrug:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
No. Absolutely not. No way. Think about the top acts that were still putting out great music in the 1980's

Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing), Bobby Womack (If you think you are lonely now), Arthea Franklin, Michael Jackson, Kool and the Gang, Miki Howard, Levert, on and on and on were going strong in the 1980's. The 1980's was one of the top decades for R&B.

80's had heat but the production became cheesy and glossy as fuk. The 90's brought the grit back.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
80's had heat but the production became cheesy and glossy as fuk. The 90's brought the grit back.

Nope. The cheesy stuff did not come until the 90's. Again you have to keep in mind that many of the biggest R&B stars were still producing new work in the 1980's. It was in the 90s where a lot of bubble gummy type came into R&B.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Nope. The cheesy stuff did not come until the 90's.

nope , the cheesy/glossy shyt came in the 80's with the introduction of electronics/synthy sounds

80s slick production

Too much of this in the 80's:childplease:....across all the macro genres

Again you have to keep in mind that many of the biggest R&B stars were still producing new work in the 1980's. It was in the 90s where a lot of bubble gummy type came into R&B.

the later 80's and into the 90's is when people brought the grit back into R7B which gave birth to Neo Soul which is the closest to 1960's and 1970's Soul/Funk.

According to music writers, the genre's works are mostly album-oriented and distinguished by its musicianship and production, incorporating "organic" elements of classic soul music with the use of live instrumentation, in contrast to the more single-oriented, hip hop-based, and producer-driven sampling approach of contemporary R&B.[5][10][11] They also infuse jazz, funk, and African musical elements into R&B.[12] In her book Musical Rhythm in the Age of Digital Reproduction, music author Anne Danielsen wrote that neo soul toward the end of the 1990s exhibited a musical development that was part of "a remarkable increase in musicians' experimentation with and manipulation of grooves at the microrhythmic level – that is, the level in played music that is usually understood in terms of phrasing and timing."[13]
50px-Gnome-mime-sound-openclipart.svg.png

"Something to Hold on To"
Menu
0:00
Produced by musical group Sa-Ra, Bilal's 2003 song "Something to Hold on To" contains yearning lyrics about love and chiming piano in its groove-based sound.[14][15]
Problems playing this file? See media help.

Noting that most of the genre's artists are singer-songwriters, writers have viewed their lyrical content as more "conscious-driven" and having a broader range than most other R&B artists.[2][5][11] AllMusic calls it "roughly analogous to contemporary R&B".[16] Dimitri Ehrlich of Vibe said that they "emphasize a mix of elegant, jazz-tinged R&B and subdued hip hop, with a highly idiosyncratic, deeply personal approach to love and politics".[2] Music writers have noted that neo soul artists are predominantly female, which contrasts the marginalized presence of women in mainstream hip hop and R&B.[17] Jason Anderson of CBC News called neo soul a "sinuous, sly yet unabashedly earnest" alternative and "kind of haven for listeners turned off by the hedonism of mainstream hip-hop and club jams."[7] Neo soul artists are often associated with alternative lifestyles and fashions, including organic food, incense, and knit caps.[18]

According to music writer Peter Shapiro, the term itself refers to a musical style that obtains its influence from older R&B styles, and bohemian musicians seeking a soul revival, while setting themselves apart from the more contemporary sounds of their mainstream R&B counterparts.[3] In a 1998 article on neo soul, Time journalist Christopher John Farley wrote that singers such as Hill, D'Angelo, and Maxwell "share a willingness to challenge musical orthodoxy".[11] Miles Marshall Lewis commented that 1990s neo soul "owed its raison d'être to '70s soul superstars like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder", adding that "in concert, Erykah Badu and D'Angelo regularly covered Chaka Khan, the Ohio Players, and Al Green, to make the lineage crystal clear."[19] In citing Tony! Toni! Tone! as progenitors of the genre, Tony Green of Vibe viewed that the group pioneered the "digital-analog hybrid sound" of neo soul and "dramatically refreshed the digitalized wasteland that was R&B in the late '80s".[20] Neo soul artists during the 1990s were heavily inspired by the eclectic sound and mellow instrumentation of Gil Scott-Heron's and Brian Jackson's collaborative work in the 1970s.[21] All About Jazz cited Jackson as "one of the early architects" of the sound and his early work with Scott-Heron as "an inspirational and musical Rosetta stone for the neo-soul movement".[22]

90's R&B had more range when you factor in Neo Soul because alot of Neo Soul was a throwback to 1970's Soul/Funk/JAzz. This is the same sound that the 80's lacked. 90's R&B also had the synthy and house-dance hybrids that began in the 80's.

Nothing like this really in the 80's but a ton like that in the 1970's

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nope , the cheesy/glossy shyt came in the 80's with the introduction of electronics/synthy sounds

80s slick production

Too much of this in the 80's:childplease:....across all the macro genres

the later 80's and into the 90's is when people brought the grit back into R7B which gave birth to Neo Soul which is the closest to 1960's and 1970's Soul/Funk.

90's R&B had more range when you factor in Neo Soul because alot of Neo Soul was a throwback to 1970's Soul/Funk/JAzz. This is the same sound that the 80's lacked. 90's R&B also had the synthy and house-dance hybrids that began in the 80's.

Nothing like this really in the 80's but a ton like that in the 1970's

Nope. The 90's were terrible for R&B. Just listen to the music from my earlier posts that I gave you from the 80's. It is not even comparable.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no problem with the 80s or 90s or experimentation. I have no problem with the big producer era. The difference is, Face/LA, Jam and Lewis, Full Force, Chuckii Booker, Kyle West, Teddy Riley were still dudes that had earned their stripes performing in bands or working and growing with a diversity of music and acts. They could produce and write anything. They were like their predecessors. They had no problem transitioning into hip-hop or New Jack Swing and kept finding multi-faceted talent. The same album could have soul, r&b and funk cuts intertwined with newer sounds. And this was the mainstream, chart toppers. I feel like we have ended up with hip-hop being in charge of music. They have evolved hip-hop and have basically given "that r&b shyt" to pop and let soul linger. Who is supposed to come out of that and produce other forms of great black music in mass? Even when you have a house like Top Dawg that has the ability, background and chops I think they feel they like they have to be overly experimental and can't do things conventionally as far as releasing good mainstream sounding music. I think there is talent out there, but perhaps the attitude of the public has moved too far beyond it and those running black music are of the same mind. Everything is considered simpin or soft or someone not meanmugging is c00ning. I dunno. I feel like its a loss for black people. The diversity of music and the sheer number of quality songs and albums just shyt on today's black music. I know there's stuff underground and I make every effort to find and buy new soul and r&b as well as older artists making comebacks, but somewhere in the evolution, the singing part got pushed to the side.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
pretty good article, nothing but facts :wow:

8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died in the Black Community - Atlanta Black Star

here's the list

1. The Whitewash
2. Too Much Focus on Physical Attributes, Not Enough on Talent
3. Producer-Focused
4. Too Much Sex
5. Artists Too Limited
6. Nobody Is Buying Music Anymore
7. R&B and Hip-Hop Have Coalesced Into a Single Genre
8. Computerized Production
:yeshrug: Maybe it's because I grew up on Contemporary R&B (Basically late 80's-current R&B), but I have no problem with #3 Too producer-focused.

What you think @stomachlines ?

nose hair

Veteran
Daps

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Nope. The 90's were terrible for R&B. Just listen to the music from my earlier posts that I gave you from the 80's. It is not even comparable.

again, 80s had heat but it was way too glossy

80's gloss production

90s brought the grit back