Reppin
The Truth
Lebron isn't a icon and face of the NBA

okay

live in fantasy worlds

Chris Brown was primed to be a music icon, now he's just a b tier rapper
Again

You thinking this guy is close to Jordan is :mjlol:

Stay on topic breh. I can explain later why Lebron is to Chris Brown TALENT WISE than he is to MJ which Jordan is comparable to in another thread

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Chris Brown is also talented in his own right, IDK how you guys try to discredit these cats or compare.

And yes, it is mostly the complainers fault. The younger generation dictates whats popular just like it always had, but it's not like RnB artists just up and died. You people stopped focusing on their music and products... Stopped checking for RnB music unless on the radio
Oh I didn't mean to imply that Brown wasn't talented, but I would not describe him as traditional R&B, although in todays music, he would be considered an R&B star.

BruhManFromTheFifthFlo

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
8B20C5F6-CDC4-4BF8-9273-A43A875BDADF_zpshbusmmox.jpg

:Umad2pac:@KingT33

crush_sumpin

true & real
Daps
Reppin
"planet earth,is my place of birth.."
pretty good article, nothing but facts :wow:

8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died in the Black Community - Atlanta Black Star

here's the list

1. The Whitewash
2. Too Much Focus on Physical Attributes, Not Enough on Talent
3. Producer-Focused
4. Too Much Sex
5. Artists Too Limited
6. Nobody Is Buying Music Anymore
7. R&B and Hip-Hop Have Coalesced Into a Single Genre
8. Computerized Production

imo, several factors are to be credited, and basically you've covered them all. The lack of a&r at these labels, the white corporations controlling not only major music distribution but the radio stations that play the music.. and this new reality of this generation not studying or appreciating the artists that came before them. But I don't think it's a bad thing: the REAL will NEVER die. Those who appreciate it will keep it alive.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

crush_sumpin

true & real
Daps
Reppin
wait wait wait..who the fukk said chris brown?? true talent to me is being able to write, produce & perform the music..and make you feel it. Being clever in subject matter as well as delivery..singers cussing like rappers? dancing while lip syncing? this isn't r&b..not traditional r&b anyway. I understand that's what's popular now but chris brown is one dimensional, imo.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. Its just nostalgia for most of these "RnB/Hip Hop has died" people, talmbout "theres too much sex on RnB radio in 2017" :kblackscust:Like R. Kelly wasn't pissin on 15 year olds in the 90s, or like Prince wasn't all "sexually open" in the 80s or like Donna Summer wasn't feigning orgasms over a beat in the 70s

:lolbron:

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
wait wait wait..who the fukk said chris brown?? true talent to me is being able to write, produce & perform the music..and make you feel it. Being clever in subject matter as well as delivery..singers cussing like rappers? dancing while lip syncing? this isn't r&b..not traditional r&b anyway. I understand that's what's popular now but chris brown is one dimensional, imo.

You do realize that even the great Michael Jackson didn't write all of his music right?

crush_sumpin

true & real
Daps
Reppin
You do realize that even the great Michael Jackson didn't write all of his music right?

indeed. and I have NO issue with someone not writing, but vocally pulling it off. But Michael Jackson has written songs as well as did vocal arrangements on other records. traditional r&b cannot be compared with whats going on today. I remember when jaheim came out and everyone clamored to him, because of his vocal delivery, but to me that was only because there was no one in that teddy pendergrass lane..remember raheem devaughn's 1st cd? how dope it was..but it was popular enough so he changed his approach..smh

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Donna Summers was Disco and Funk. Her and Rick James were never truly R&B; they may have did some R&B; but their bones were not made in R&B. Disco eventually melted into greater Pop music and House music.

funk and disco are R&B...before the term disco came along, Soul, Funk, and Jazz (uptempo) were the actual tracks being played at the Disco's

If any of you want to hear truly great R&B music then you have to go back to the 60's, 70's

60s/70s were more to the ORIGINAL soul sound

and 80's.

..not really

That music was unreal and just straight up ridiculously good.

90s was better than the 80's

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
indeed. and I have NO issue with someone not writing, but vocally pulling it off. But Michael Jackson has written songs as well as did vocal arrangements on other records. traditional r&b cannot be compared with whats going on today. I remember when jaheim came out and everyone clamored to him, because of his vocal delivery, but to me that was only because there was no one in that teddy pendergrass lane..remember raheem devaughn's 1st cd? how dope it was..but it was popular enough so he changed his approach..smh

Are you saying that there isn't good R&B out now?

crush_sumpin

true & real
Daps
Reppin
funk and disco are R&B...before the term disco came along, Soul, Funk, and Jazz (uptempo) were the actual tracks being played at the Disco's

..not really

even the 80'a new jack swing era was better than this era..and don't tell me keith sweat's first record wasn't classic. hell, even guy's 1st cd, al b sure's 1st cd, today's 1st cd, bobby brown's 2nd cd, come on..

and the 90's r&b was dope not because it was traditional r&b or because the songs were better written or better executed vocally, but because they used loops and breaks that were being used in hip hop at the time

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

..not really

Funk and Disco were offshoots of R&B. R&B is actually much closer to Blues, while Disco and Funk were heading more in the direction of Rock and Roll. I am no musicologist so I don't know where the dividing lines are, but there are and were dividing lines. Look at the career of Johnny Taylor. He went from Gospel, to Blues to R&B to Disco. There were clear dividing lines in the music. Joe Simon is another guy that went through all of those genres and then he went into Country music. Otis Clay is another guy that went through genres.

Btw, some of the 80's music was excellent. Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, Phyllis Hyman, Freddie Jackson, Kool and The Gang, Prince, Ashford and Simpson, and Stephanie Mills etc., put out excellent R&B songs during that era. Stephanie Mills was great in the 1980's.

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
even the 80'a new jack swing era was better than this era..and don't tell me keith sweat's first record wasn't classic. hell, even guy's 1st cd, al b sure's 1st cd, today's 1st cd, bobby brown's 2nd cd, come on..

and the 90's r&b was dope not because it was traditional r&b or because the songs were better written or better executed vocally, but because they used loops and breaks that were being used in hip hop at the time

I don't know where he was in the 1980's; maybe he was drinking or something and didn't hear it all. The 1980's produced excellent R&B music and the Funk was outrageous too.

Anita Baker, Luther Vandross, Patti LaBelle, Bobby Womack, Ashford & Simpson, Freddie Jackson, Stephanie Mills, Michael Jackson, Prince, James Brown, Kool and the Gang, Ray Parker Jr., Chaka Khan, on and on and on. That was the decade that some of those people put out their best work.

Last edited: