76ers want new arena in Center City, Philadelphia

Gdp77

Pro
Daps
Always found it weird how the Eagles stadium and 76ers stadium are literally across the street from each other. It makes for a dangerous runway when both are playing games at the same time. Enjoy the new space sixers fans.
What like maybe twice a year?

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It makes sense. Look at Nationals Stadium in DC and it’s role in kicking gentrification into overdrive.

This is the trend for development. Less parking. Less sprawl. Mixed use retail with an anchor and a captive consumer group that lives there.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
It makes sense. Look at Nationals Stadium in DC and it’s role in kicking gentrification into overdrive.

This is the trend for development. Less parking. Less sprawl. Mixed use retail with an anchor and a captive consumer group that lives there.

Nationals Stadium kickstarted development in the DC Navy Yard

Philly has a Navy Yard, that would be a great location, but just like the DC Navy Yard, it's a bit removed from Downtown

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A few thoughts:

2) The City will have to finally put some serious money into SEPTA, particularly into Regional Rail. The truth is, you shouldn't really need to drive to NBA games. The proposed arena would be a couple blocks from the Broad Street Line, Jefferson Station (for RR), PATCO for South Jersey folks, and directly above the El.

Yeah you can have all those people after a game taking that Olney line. That shyt is :picard:

The MFL is better but not much better

Lil Bape the PostGod

Can’t talk to broke boys
Daps
Reppin
Sound sound sound
I could be wrong, but The few times I been to Philly I’m pretty sure that is the mall I used as a quick restroom stop in middle of day

Hate to see it go :wow:

Gonna be crowded as hell in that area..

At least that sports complex thing was kinda its own little world

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Philly has a Navy Yard, that would be a great location, but just like the DC Navy Yard, it's a bit removed from Downtown

Yeah. I get why they’re doing. I don’t know that the results will be the same as DC.

It’s gonna take more than the NBA to trick white people into staying in the city at night.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I could be wrong, but The few times I been to Philly I’m pretty sure that is the mall I used as a quick restroom stop in middle of day

Hate to see it go :wow:

Gonna be crowded as hell in that area..

At least that sports complex thing was kinda its own little world
Many a time as young college Exodus I would take the shuttle bus on Temple campus down to Center City and go to the WaWa down there near the mall because it was one of the few places I knew that had fresh packs of Honey Berry Backwoods.

Then I'd walk through the mall maybe cop some new white T's and then hotfoot back to campus with a backwood filled with mid just getting my lay of the land exploring Philly. I had just discovered MF Doom off a friends recommendations so Operation Doomsday was my soundtrack at the time.

A 32GB iPod...a big blunt of mid...maybe a Lemon Ice Tea and some gummies for the road home

Ahhh...a simpler era :mjcry:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

I always said the only team that should be moving to a stadium at the Naval Yard is the Union. Moving from the Sports Complex to the Navy Yard is a downgrade in every sense, but moving the Union from Chester to Navy Yard makes a whole lot more sense.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Let me preface by stating, I'm not a Sixers fan

Sixers fans are already complaining about parking...Chinatown residents will complain too

To be a world class city, you need an arena downtown...NY, DC & Boston all have arenas in or near their downtown

I'm all for it...esp if it will make downtown more lively on non-weekend nights

I fukking love it ans wished the city didnt stop Phillies in the early 00s. City cant complain because this shyt will be privately funded by the billionaires. I always hated South Philly location let that shyt be swamp again

I'm glad they came around on having a stadium or arena downtown given how pissed off people were about the Phillies wanting a stadium in Chinatown 20 years ago. Also glad it's going to be privately funded. Saves the city a bunch of money and headaches from people complaining.

Sounds like at the very least, Sixers want to have discussions with the Flyers about joining them:

Two thoughts on this:

1) LOL at the Sixers getting revenge on the Flyers for being Comcast/Xfinity's red-headed step child for years
2) I'm curious whether Xfinity pushes the Flyers to move given they'll be closer to the Comcast towers or tries to keep them in South Philly with a new arena so they are still within Xfinity Live

9 years to build an arena?

That's how much time they have left on their lease for the Wells Fargo Center.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
I always said the only team that should be moving to a stadium at the Naval Yard is the Union. Moving from the Sports Complex to the Navy Yard is a downgrade in every sense, but moving the Union from Chester to Navy Yard makes a whole lot more sense.

Didn't the city shoot down a proposed Navy Yard stadium a couple years ago?

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
I'm glad they came around on having a stadium or arena downtown given how pissed off people were about the Phillies wanting a stadium in Chinatown 20 years ago. Also glad it's going to be privately funded. Saves the city a bunch of money and headaches from people complaining.

Two thoughts on this:

1) LOL at the Sixers getting revenge on the Flyers for being Comcast/Xfinity's red-headed step child for years
2) I'm curious whether Xfinity pushes the Flyers to move given they'll be closer to the Comcast towers or tries to keep them in South Philly with a new arena so they are still within Xfinity Live

That's how much time they have left on their lease for the Wells Fargo Center.

Comcast put a couple of million into the stadium to update it... I don't see the flyers leaving easily unless they can recoup.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Many a time as young college Exodus I would take the shuttle bus on Temple campus down to Center City and go to the WaWa down there near the mall because it was one of the few places I knew that had fresh packs of Honey Berry Backwoods.

Then I'd walk through the mall maybe cop some new white T's and then hotfoot back to campus with a backwood filled with mid just getting my lay of the land exploring Philly. I had just discovered MF Doom off a friends recommendations so Operation Doomsday was my soundtrack at the time.

A 32GB iPod...a big blunt of mid...maybe a Lemon Ice Tea and some gummies for the road home

What year were you at TU?

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Wawa still keep them fresh and soft Backwoods on deck. I’m a honey bourbon kind of brother :wow: