76ers want new arena in Center City, Philadelphia

CW99

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Not a fan the South Philly Sports complex felt perfect move them to Center city feels like a nightmare

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
no you don’t

One of the greatest myths in sports is you need an arena. You don’t.

Also, their arena was built in the 90s. It’s not Old.

I respectfully disagree

There are tax revenue implications

Ppl in Philly attend Sixers games & go straight home

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Always found it weird how the Eagles stadium and 76ers stadium are literally across the street from each other. It makes for a dangerous runway when both are playing games at the same time. Enjoy the new space sixers fans.

HandyWithTheSteel

Superstar
Daps
Building a stadium in the middle of downtown with no parking isn’t some new phenomenon. Damn near every team does that.

TD Garden is in the middle of downtown Boston by the freeway. I’m not sure how they make it work.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Love the idea
Gotta admit, going to a sixers game when one of the other teams in the sports complex has a game makes for a special feeling but it's not really worth driving all way down there then taking a hour to get out the parking lot
Market St. fell off horribly, basically no reason to even go there now. They tried with the fashion district thing in the old Gallery but honestly that shyt is trash and full of packs of 13 yr olds. Building a REAL entertainment complex down there would be popping
Arena on Market st would be epic, pregame at Reading Terminal then hit up Olde City or Chinatown (Bar-Ly) after the game :blessed:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Good that access looks to have no parking.

The more cars out of city centers the better. Having parking lots/decks going out of style.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
A few thoughts:

1) As long as it's privately funded and doesn't mess with Reading Terminal Market (tho some small businesses might get forced out), I'm with it.

2) The City will have to finally put some serious money into SEPTA, particularly into Regional Rail. The truth is, you shouldn't really need to drive to NBA games. The proposed arena would be a couple blocks from the Broad Street Line, Jefferson Station (for RR), PATCO for South Jersey folks, and directly above the El.

3) Rent has already been exploding in that area.

4) Nobody over the age of 25 goes to the Gallery.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
Let me preface by stating, I'm not a Sixers fan

Sixers fans are already complaining about parking...Chinatown residents will complain too

To be a world class city, you need an arena downtown...NY, DC & Boston all have arenas in or near their downtown

I'm all for it...esp if it will make downtown more lively on non-weekend nights

I could be wrong, but DC’s arena didn’t seem to be in downtown… doesn’t even look like a stadium from the outside

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
You can find actual studies on the impact of stadiums in municipalities. They aren't revenue generators.

The demographics are changing in Philly

As baby boomers age, millennials become the target demographic for the Sixers

Millennials in the Philly area (Sixers target demographic) are increasingly abandoning the suburbs for city living

The Wells Fargo currently host select group of Temple and Nova games, in addition to concerts and special events

Tourism is stronger in Center City than South Philly

More dining options in Center City…more hotel options

The proposed stadium is 5 mins from 95 and connects to rail transportation

This is a NO BRAINER