The Chi (South Side)
Screenshot-2024-08-08-at-12-14-45-PM.png

:whew:

I'd be peon status in in los angeles or san francisco :sadbron:

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
I’m a pharmacist :manny:

It’s rare but I don’t get why people on here make it seem like a website with a bunch of young professionals on it aren’t making 6figs. That’s why we give yall our perspective on it
Yeah I don't get it... I'm an air traffic controller so it's not crazy at all if you're in a solid career path.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
After all those layoffs and lack of UNIONS, people are rightfully scared of that unstable field of tech.

No real prosperity as a 1st world country without UNIONS. Something that you hate.

Nothing you said is inaccurate, just incomplete. Tech field is unstable, but if you have a resume that looks like mine or better, you pick and choose your salary at a new position

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
People don’t realize $60,000 is the middle class. Most people in America make about $75,000 a year. :manny:
75K is actually pretty high.

according to google AI:

In 2023, the median annual wage for all U.S. workers was $48,060, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which means Americans in around half the states earned less than that benchmark, while workers in the other half earned more.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean y’all already know what I think :manny:

shyt don’t hit until ~150k imo.

Thats the new “100k”

Agreed.

The jump from 50k to 100k is basically "I can live in a nicer place, drive a nicer car, travel, spend more on hobbies and clothes."

The jump from 100k to 150k is moreso, "I'm going to buy that investment property I was looking at last month and lease it."

Soylent Greenz

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

The average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is about 1900 dollars a month.

Before they will rent you an apartment,they require that you make 40x the rent per year.

So let's say that's 76k a year off rip they want you to be making,and then let's talk about actually LIVING in the city.

Food is expensive,car insurance is sky high,if you actually care about your appearance,let's add on gym membership,if you have kids and or a spouse,let's add that on to it.

Tolls to cross the various bridges,etc.
Vacations you make take several times a year.

Unless you are government subsidized,or are living a meager existence where you are not experiencing life the way a person is supposed to be,100k in nyc ain't shyt.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I find that extremely hard to believe,imma need to see where those numbers come from.

Also I need to see a breakdown of where those black folk making over 100k are located.

Damn near every black person I interact with socially out here is doing between 90k and 120k,as should pretty much be expected considering the cost of living in nyc and the fact that they are all over 40.

Check out the BX, Queens, and even some (non gentrified) parts of BK. People making sub 60k or even less. We call them the WORKING POOR.

Not every breh or brehette is the token black person at a cushy corporate job.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I mean, when people who are doing the hiring for jobs that pay like this don't want to even hire Americans, that simply further complicates things.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agreed.

The jump from 50k to 100k is basically "I can live in a nicer place, drive a nicer car, travel, spend more on hobbies and clothes."

The jump from 100k to 150k is moreso, "I'm going to buy that investment property I was looking at last month and lease it."
I still think it's very possible to begin investing in real estate under $150k.
It took me several years of diligent saving and a big jump ($62k to $110-$120k)
to get my first one.

I think if I maintain my current savings rate and eliminate my debt that even if I don't get another
big bump in pay, I'll still be able to slowly and steadily increase my portfolio.

Soylent Greenz

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Check out the BX, Queens, and even some (non gentrified) parts of BK. People making sub 60k or even less. We call them the WORKING POOR.

Not every breh or brehette is the token black person at a cushy corporate job.

I am in all these areas damn near on a daily basis,again,if you are making 60k or under out here,you are subsidized in some way shape or form,whether you live in NYCHA,rent stabilized,section 8,recieve child support,etc.

Also you threw out a set of numbers and I asked where you got them from,and I also wanted to know the percentage of blacks making over 100k living in either nyc or L.A.,random numbers are hearsay.

And I don't know anybody with a corporate job who makes 100k or over,I know bus drivers,train operators,correction officers,sanitation workers and teachers,all regular jobs out here making well over 100k,so let's stop acting like the shyt is a super rarity.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
The percentage makes sense. Yes, there are those of us who make over 100k a year, and there are the vast majority of us who do not. Also have to take into consideration, that percentage is based on legal earnings. They do not include the underground economy in it (Drugs, sex, scamming, etc). We who make over 100k are rare.

What we should be taking from this, and I say this especially for our sisters, is that combining your income can push you above the threshold pretty easily. Working together is better than doing it alone (especially with the COL at the moment). So find an upstanding man or woman and build together. You will be better off in the end sharing the load, than you would be trying to go it all alone with a barely middle class wage/salary.

That advice also holds if you are already making 6 figures, because having a spouse can up your reputation in companies, helping your employment and promotion prospects. GMB is something fun to bandy about, but in truth a good spouse is worth their weight in gold.