6% Of Black Americans Make $100K or More

SupaDupaFresh

Superstar
Daps
He said PEW research

This is likely referring to Individual Income not household income.

I just asked Chat Gpt:

Only about 15 percent of Americans earn at least 100k annually individually.

Of that 15 percent only 6 percent are black. :yeshrug:

Cot damn, I need to pat myself on the back more often.

I make above 100k but I live in NYC so it really don't mean shyt unless you have no social life at all.

4-Rin

Superstar
Daps
I still think it's very possible to begin investing in real estate under $150k.
It took me several years of diligent saving and a big jump ($62k to $110-$120k)
to get my first one.

I think if I maintain my current savings rate and eliminate my debt that even if I don't get another
big bump in pay, I'll still be able to slowly and steadily increase my portfolio.

What city did you buy the rental property in?

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
6 certs, 6 feet, 6 series, 6 percent

What a wonderful feeling
full

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Brehs out here making 60k a yr and expected to pay all the bills:mjlol:

It's white dudes out here making 150k+ and even they goin' 50/50 with no qualms from the wife
I wouldn't go this far.
Most of us here are middle aged (30+ is middle aged) and college educated and ‘black’ (allegedly) so it’s no surprise we fit into the 100k plus demo.
No it isn't. 40 or 45...

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Even with the avg black income being ~50kish, only 6% of us making over 6 figures seems low considering how we dominate sports and entertainment
Even if my lil bubble the amount of educated blacks I know in business like consultants and middle managers would have me thinking it's more than only 6%
Also does this include people who might be hiding income due to taxes ie: barbers, real estate contractors, girls who do hair or sell weave, day care owners
6% of Black adults is probably about 1 million of us.

NBA/NFL is about 2000 players combined. 75% of those leagues are black, so roughly 1500. Musicians might be another couple/few thousand. Same for TV/film.

The sports & entertainment sector of black folks making 100K is probably about 10K people which is the Top 1% of our Top 6%...so 6% is about right.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
I can't believe that one bit...
In my small circle alone a couple make over 100k

So this doesn't need to be fact checked cause I already know it's bs

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Check out the BX, Queens, and even some (non gentrified) parts of BK. People making sub 60k or even less. We call them the WORKING POOR.

Not every breh or brehette is the token black person at a cushy corporate job.
I swear the Coli has the most out of touch Black people in the world. It's probably a sign that these 6 figures+ Coli brehs are telling the truth about their salaries

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Agreed.

The jump from 50k to 100k is basically "I can live in a nicer place, drive a nicer car, travel, spend more on hobbies and clothes."

The jump from 100k to 150k is moreso, "I'm going to buy that investment property I was looking at last month and lease it."

I dunno. I have had the same house and car prior to me hitting 100K as I do after surpassing that number.

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
The percentage makes sense. Yes, there are those of us who make over 100k a year, and there are the vast majority of us who do not. Also have to take into consideration, that percentage is based on legal earnings. They do not include the underground economy in it (Drugs, sex, scamming, etc). We who make over 100k are rare.

What we should be taking from this, and I say this especially for our sisters, is that combining your income can push you above the threshold pretty easily. Working together is better than doing it alone (especially with the COL at the moment). So find an upstanding man or woman and build together. You will be better off in the end sharing the load, than you would be trying to go it all alone with a barely middle class wage/salary.

That advice also holds if you are already making 6 figures, because having a spouse can up your reputation in companies, helping your employment and promotion prospects. GMB is something fun to bandy about, but in truth a good spouse is worth their weight in gold.

Thats all it really take especially in the black community where marriage is shyt upon

And everyone has become INDIVIDUALIST

all about getting mine, all about being a boss bytch, etc etc

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Lol @ the account name

Either way if black wealth numbers are to be believed, this is probably accurate.

Even then, 100k ain't what it was. 100k = 6k a month after taxes. If you live in the city, it's not shyt.

Rent/Mortgage = $1500-3k depending on location
Car = $600-1000
General Bills = $500-1000

Going out, kids, and other random life shyt is another $1-2k a month. Your money is gone then.

And then black folk don't have the benefit of wealth being passed down because we don't own our houses and don't get life insurance. So the cycle keeps repeating.

Last edited:

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol @ the account name

Either way if black wealth numbers are to be believed, this is probably accurate.

Even then, 100k ain't what it was. 100k = 6k a month after taxes. If you live in the city, it's not shyt.

Rent/Mortgage = $1500-3k depending on location
Car = $600-1000
General Bills = $500-1000

Going out, kids, and other random life shyt is another $1-2k a month. Your money is gone then.

And then black folk don't have the benefit of wealth being passed down because we don't own our houses and don't get life insurance. So the cycle keeps repeating.

That much for a car note is wild. The average car note in the US is $735/month. You can still get a used reliable car for less than $400/month like a Camry or an Accord. Folks just want to stunt and think IG is real life. That's the main problem. You got nikkas making over 100K talking about living in poverty. bytches on social media who make 6 figures crying that they can't live like their celebrity idols. Whole fukking society got dumber with social media.