6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
The good thing about having so many certs is that it gets you interviews quickly, the bad thing is that now they expire and I need to renew them for 2024.

Goal for 2024
Renew AWS Solutions Architect/AWS Security
Renew GCP/GCP Security
Do some Azure Security Cert....lol, I am doing audits on Azure projects and I can't confidently understand what is going on.

Do one Zero trust Certification

Study to get QSA certified.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
The good thing about having so many certs is that it gets you interviews quickly, the bad thing is that now they expire and I need to renew them for 2024.

Goal for 2024
Renew GCP/GCP Security
Do some Azure Security Cert....lol, I am doing audits on Azure projects and I can't confidently understand what is going on.

You ain't never lied . Damn that's a lot of certs to renew :francis:

Be careful with the QSA cert :umad:, It is tied to your employer. We take our certs and keep it moving, fukk whoever is cutting the check :pachaha:

I was on a SAQ project for an insurance company for the last few months and I'm studying PCIP right now. My little mischievous self was out here throwing all kind of scenarios at the QSAs so I can understand all the small nuances :wow:

that guy

Superstar
Daps

Goal for 2024
Renew GCP/GCP Security

Are you a cloud engineer? And how many certs did you have when you got your first job?

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
You ain't never lied . Damn that's a lot of certs to renew :francis:

Be careful with the QSA cert :umad:, It is tied to your employer. We take our certs and keep it moving, fukk whoever is cutting the check :pachaha:

I was on a SAQ project for an insurance company for the last few months and I'm studying PCIP right now. My little mischievous self was out here throwing all kind of scenarios at the QSAs so I can understand all the small nuances :wow:

Damn, thanks for the heads up. I might have to take the pcip instead but on the low. Here they push the QSA. Taking the pcip and letting them know may have me looking like a flight risk. I am trying to dip after getting another year of projects under my belt. Working on a personal project to create a fictitious company policy since I have access to tons of other clients policies.

Platinion Senior Consultant, Cybersecurity in Atlanta, United States | Technology and Engineering at BCG hope next year I can land one of these.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Are you a cloud engineer? And how many certs did you have when you got your first job?

I work in cyber security auditing, use to be a security engineer at an MSP. My path to cyber security was like this.

2015-2016 the company I worked for as an Engineer had a cyber security training program I completed. - was not enough to get in the game. Plus my job at the time even though I had the fancy title, my skills were not very transferrable. If they laid me off, I would be assed out.

2017 - I passed the CISSP for the associate of isc and I got my first AWS cert - my friend was a cloud architect making crazy money was trying to get me in the game, got rejected tons for lack of experience

2018 - I got my first GCP cert and the CCSP(associate of isc)- still get rejected.

December 2018 - My big break came, major corp was growing a cloud security team and hired me on as a Senior (again low skilled because it is a platform that look at cloud sec violations) , platform got canned and I started learning being an endpoint security engineer, ips engineer and firewall engineer. Learned linux and networking on the fly. Honestly, they hired me because I aced the technical interview with no experience. The HR manager said they hired me off potential and will train me.

I have since completed tons of certs because I fear layoffs lol and of course 2023, I got laid off and the certs I got during my time as a security engineer came in very handy to get into auditing (CISA, CRISC, CIPM, re-upped GCP and AWS).

I am already working on my next move because I work too much here and the salary isn't what up to the amount of work I do. I don't trust companies so I am always looking to have as much leverage in the job market as possible in case they get fickle.

With that said everyone's path into Cyber Security is different. Some got in with sec plus or from knowing someone and no cert.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Damn, thanks for the heads up. I might have to take the pcip instead but on the low. Here they push the QSA. Taking the pcip and letting them know may have me looking like a flight risk. I am trying to dip after getting another year of projects under my belt. Working on a personal project to create a fictitious company policy since I have access to tons of other clients policies.

Platinion Senior Consultant, Cybersecurity in Atlanta, United States | Technology and Engineering at BCG hope next year I can land one of these.
When I was setting up the PCIP shyt, They had something saying that if you are a QSA, you can be granted the PCIP certification. There was literally a specific section for that.

So maybe you can still do the QSA and make sure to get grandfathered into PCIP :myman:. It is worth looking into it.

By the way, Thank God that your company pays for all this shyt. I had to dish out 3K for PCIP training and exam voucher :to:.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
anyone in here working in marketing at all?

I live in Toronto and I'm considering leaving this career but looking to at least try a couple more avenues to find a stable job before doing so.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
Multiple people have recently left my team.
But they also don't plan on backfilling and want the rest of us to step up and take on more responsibility.

Considering the amount of money they saved via attrition, they're going to have to up my salary and title or I'm :camby:

I've been frustrated with my career growth here, this is gonna be my line in the sand.

Last edited: