GoFlipAPack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We’re at the end of Hiphop being the dominant cultural force that’s for sure. One thing I’ve wondered for years is what the next wave is.

Typically it would’ve been created by now
Sexy Red is the future!:blessed:

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang
Kid be making beats in all but 30 seconds now doing video game speedruns.

I think music in general got to the point where we're basically microwave at this point.

People are putting in listens, because well, people want something to listen to and be apart of, not necessarily because they enjoy what they're hearing.

Every generation thinks the next generations music is garbage. Your take is that even the next generation thinks that their music is garbage.
Interesting.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Every generation thinks the next generations music is garbage. Your take is that even the next generation thinks that their music is garbage.
Interesting.
People need to feel a part of something and I think that abstraction will apply every generation. Whatever that may sound like doesn't really matter.

What's funny is when hindsight comes back for some of those decisions or style/trends, but that only really applies after the younger people come in and make fun of what the older people were doing.
For some reason, it then becomes "embarrassing".

Nothing is really distasteful about anything if it's not harming anybody, but the fear of being left behind or not part of something can be heavy.
That's why some people get defensive about their past and why some people will always try to clout chase and sit at the kiddie table to the next trend trying to avoid that feeling - a lot of it is fear of shame or getting old.

Rinse and repeat.

People will look back at the screamo hip-hop right now and be embarrassed. Then that next generation will look back on whatever it replaced with embarrassment as well, etc. To the mass majority of people, music or style isn't really objectively "good", it's just time's antics (or how we perceive what time is).

Last edited:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether

I think music in general got to the point where we're basically microwave at this point.

People are putting in listens, because well, people want something to listen to and be apart of, not necessarily because they enjoy what they're hearing.

Not just the beats.

I saw the vid where they just kinda freestyle over the beat then the engineer stitches the verse together(?).

They don't take time to work on any of it. And it sounds like it.

Even if you CAN make a beat in under 1 min, what would it sound like if they combed over it for an hour? For a day? I could imagine a trap beat that had as many elements as an orchestra. And we'd prolly be amazed at something that intricate.

Classic Hip Hop ended early 00s. I always say 2003.

After that I call it Contemporary Rap. Except we just cracked 20 years of THAT. So perhaps "contemporary" is not quite right for the music from 2003 thru whenever (as the music changes and we move into the future.)

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps

Some of the most generic shyt I’ve heard. It makes sense that these were made in 30 seconds

Superstar
Daps
Ice Spice is a perfect example.
Travis Scott is another one.

If you hear those artists and write them off as some pointless bs, you're not hearing it with the ears of the youth.

This guy doesn't have it, prolly lost it a long time ago.

I’m kind of split on Travis. I loved “Days Before Rodeo” but could never get into a lot of his work since. I even like some of the collaborations he’s done, but his albums have just felt low effort, less creative, less alive after “days”. I felt like I was old the first time I heard him, so maybe it could be attributed to age.

Superstar
Daps
The Hip Hop 50th Anniversary concert at Yankee Stadium felt like a "GOODBYE" rather than a celebration of its history. For a lot of legendary MCs, it was their ultimate 'thank you' to the genre before it fades away from the youth-driven genre forever.

2024 and beyond looks bleak for Hip Hop. :francis:

I’m okay with it dying as a genre. We’ve heard a lot of magic over the years. I understand it’s not our world anymore. I just hope we see a renewed interest in soul, jazz, and others genres, alongside whatever new shyt comes with the future.

I’m okay with it sticking around too. Even with rock I still randomly come across bands using the early 90’s grunge sound I used to love so much. I know it will never be at the front, as it was, but it’s cool to still see it appreciated. It’s cool to see rap that way too. I don’t really care if it’s cool to the kids, they’re in charge of their future. I either like it or I don’t and move on.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
You know how you could see it coming?

When cats/brands started to make "producer teams" like you see cats wearing jerseys like they were on some corporate, gaming clan tag going into a competition:
RedbirdEsports2.jpg

Like when Red Bull or whoever starts sponsoring these cats and they gladly throw on the "swag". Straight up sell outs.

shyt is Barstool Sports "gEt dA W" culture. Music and gaming are great, but at the higher levels the culture for both has been sapped. It's turned into some ultra-competition in order to make someone money and not for the sake of culture and the artistry of being different. Now it's a bunch of suburb kids making beats now thinking that's what it's about instead of cats who are on the ground level, expressing themselves because they're going through it. Even someone raised in a middle class family, you can hear it in the music that there's a sense of a hard work and day-to-day grind. Now it's a bunch of privileged cats making music on high-end laptops from the suburbs, Canada, Asia, Europe, etc.

Last edited:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
2 common lies told about hip hop today:

1.It is as good as it has ever been.

2. The production is the best it has ever been.

Both outrageous, untrue takes
Theres good hip hop just gotta know where to look.

When pressed post 1 or 2 songs from sound cloud or YouTube and it just sounds derivative of something that's already been done way better

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Hip Hop 1973-2013

The problem is too many motherfukkers in the kitchen

Problem is not only do u have 10,000 nikkas each in cali, NY, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta trying to get on… u got another 5,000 motherfukkers in iowa, Nebraska, Montana, Minnesota, etc etc jumping on the scene and all these nikkas have the same sound, look and even beats..

Rap has become the new drug game hustle for a quick buck and not longevity