Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Basically

This nikka loves the sound of his own voice and thinks he's  really smart:mjlol:

Except he’s quoting Greg Tate, who wrote that in 2004. So he probably thinks Greg Tate is smart. Tate was a damn good black culture critic. Left us in 2021.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
He might be pretentious but he spitting facts. Modern rap is pro-establishment and doesn't push back against the status quo at all. It's got co-opted by corporations at least 20 years ago.
I think it's that people have genuinely gotten dumber

And there are no authentic movements

The only thing a lot of Black ppl talk about online is fukkery

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I was checking out the reaction to this essay yesterday and it's interesting that some of the "smartest" and otherwise most critical hip hop writers I follow did not like it. It seems most of them don't like the fact that the writer didn't pay enough lip service to all the "great" underground artists and the women rappers that are getting alot of attention.

Like they were totally cool with calling out the old rappers and "capitalism" but they draw the line at saying the new shyt is formulaic and not interesting at all. A lot of these guys are ideologically opposed to the idea that things can get worse over time. Probably cuz they "lean on hip hop for credibility" as the article states. They are very afraid of looking like the nerdy white backpacker that they met in 2002 but haven't seen since...

David Dennis (not smart, generally a bozo) seemed to take it personal :mjlol:
David Dennis is a smart dude and a good writer but a SUPREME panderer. No surprise he hated the article, especially specific his critique lmao

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
From a Burna Boy article I was reading:

With its magnetic blend of Afrobeats and hip-hop, ‘I Told Them’ might prove to be Burna Boy’s biggest access to the highly-coveted US music market. According to Luminate’s 2023 mid-year music reports, this is a strategic move. The data illustrates a striking growth in album consumption in the US, soaring by an impressive 13.4 per cent year-on-year, rocketing from 475.4 million in mid-year 2022 to a staggering 538.9 million in mid-year 2023. This upward trajectory indicates an insatiable appetite for new music among American listeners.

The report also shows that on-demand song streams experienced a remarkable 15 percent year-on-year increase during the same period. The numbers jumped from 620.2 billion to an astounding 713.5 billion. As these figures underscore, music is thriving in the US, with listeners voraciously consuming songs at an unprecedented rate. Within this audio feast, it is the R&B/Hip Hop genre that commands the lead, accounting for a substantial 27.3 percent of total on-demand streams. It’s a clear testament to the genre’s dominance in the American music landscape.

You can also access the Luminate 2023 mid year report here: Luminate Releases 2023 Midyear Report | Luminate

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
Looking at social media all that's being celebrated is the classics from older heads, nothing wrong with that but you got to question what else is there in store for the elder artists. Will they put out newer classics or just live off the past.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Kid be making beats in all but 30 seconds now doing video game speedruns.

I think music in general got to the point where we're basically microwave at this point.

People are putting in listens, because well, people want something to listen to and be apart of, not necessarily because they enjoy what they're hearing.