4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 to fight streaming media

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
can u please stop with this human eye bullshyt. we can all go to out local best buys and see this things in action now. you acting like visual evidence ain't already out there in the world.

imo unless you blind, the difference between native 4k on a 4k tv and 1080p is jarring. only reason i ain't dipped in yet is cause there is practically no native 4k content. once directv gets some 4k channels poppin and these 4k blu rays come out, i'mma cop it.
Yeah because you are standing right in FRONT of the screen, of course you notice the difference. But sit back 10 to 12 feet where your couch is and you will not notice. It's impossible to notice, unless you are going with a huge screen.

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

"What the chart shows is that, for a 84-inch screen, 4k resolution isn’t fully apparent until you are at least 5.5 feet or closer to the screen. For a “tiny” 55-inch screen, you’ll need to be 3.5 feet or closer. Needless to say, most consumers aren’t going to sit close enough to see any of extra resolution 4k offers, much less 8k."

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Breh am let yall tell it then, like I said back on sohh about 3 years ago I remember clear as day dudes saying Netflix would fail and blockbuster and redbox would be the future, yet year after year streaming and digital media becomes more and more popular and innovative , yet dudes are sitting here now telling me that ISP are going to stop all that and we all going to go back to disc?

:mjlol: Naw I don't believe that, especially nikkas cysing Blockbuster.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah because you are standing right in FRONT of the screen, of course you notice the difference. But sit back 10 to 12 feet where your couch is and you will not notice. It's impossible to notice, unless you are going with a huge screen.

at my best buy, sony had a couch set up in front of their 65" 4k tv and the difference was clear EVEN FROM A DISTANCE. you sound like the dudes that used to say there is no difference between sd and hd.

a 65" 4k running native 4k content is noticeably different from a 1080p screen at the same sitting distance. I've SEEN it. I don't need to read a blog.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
at my best buy, sony had a couch set up in front of their 65" 4k tv and the difference was clear. you sound like the dudes that used to say there is no difference between sd and hd.

a 65" 4k running native 4k content is noticeably different from a 1080p screen at the same sitting distance. I've SEEN it. I don't need to read a blog.

I've seen it also but this is the issue.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: Naw I don't believe that, especially nikkas cysing Blockbuster.

Yup they was saying soon as blockbuster came out with a streaming service, rip Netflix, they was also saying Netflix streaming was just a small time side thing and it would eventually fail, cause Netflix really cared a about physical media, it's dvd business :mjlol:

They've also been preaching this whole "Bbbbbbbbbbbut everyone needs fiber speeds" shyt since back then

Mean while every year more people start streaming and move away from disc

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
exactly. like I said in an earlier post. only reason i'm not buying a 4k tv right now is because there are no 4k channels or blu rays. the second ESPN has a 4k channel, I'm copin a 4k tv.

I really am regretting getting my Sony tv a few months ago...Especially since i only get a tv ever 3 years it seems.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
at my best buy, sony had a couch set up in front of their 65" 4k tv and the difference was clear EVEN FROM A DISTANCE. you sound like the dudes that used to say there is no difference between sd and hd.

I've seen it too but you know they use split feeds for their 1080p at best buy so the quality isnt even 720p and they were showing native 4k so of course it will look better. I'm about to spend $8000 on my next 4k projector so you dont gotta convince me about HD but dont use bestbuy as a way to judge anything. Sony and THX both agree with me

Verification of Calculations by Sony and THX
Sony lists identical required viewing distances in the Frequently Asked Questions section of their product description. Checkout the Amazon.com product description FAQ for the Sony 65X900A 4k Ultra HDTV. It shows the same distances I have calculated (i.e. 3.6 feet for a 55″ screen and 4.2 feet for a 65″ screen.) If you don’t believe my numbers, confirmation from Sony should help convince you.

Quote from Sony FAQ:
How close to the TV must I sit to appreciate 4K?

The short answer is that between 5 and 6 ft. is the ideal viewing distance for a 55” or 65” Sony 4K Ultra HD TV. However, on a 55“, you can now sit as close as 3.6 ft and enjoy a visibly smoother and more detailed picture (e.g you won’t see the individual pixels). On a 65“ TV, you can sit as close as 4.2 ft. to appreciate 4K.
Source: Amazon.com product description frequently asked questions for the Sony 65X900A 4k Ultra HDTV

THX also confirms similar viewing distances:
On a 50-inch 1080p HD display, most consumers can begin to distinguish individual pixels only when standing within six feet of the screen. Therefore if your viewing distance is 10 feet or greater, an Ultra HD 50-inch display will likely have little perceived benefit in terms of image clarity and sharpness [source]

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen it too but you know they use split feeds for their 1080p at best buy so the quality isnt even 720p and they were showing native 4k so of course it will look better. I'm about to spend $8000 on my next 4k projector so you dont gotta convince me about HD but dont use bestbuy as a way to judge anything. Sony and THX both agree with me

Sony lists identical required viewing distances in the Frequently Asked Questions section of their product description. Checkout the Amazon.com product description FAQ for the Sony 65X900A 4k Ultra HDTV. It shows the same distances I have calculated (i.e. 3.6 feet for a 55″ screen and 4.2 feet for a 65″ screen.) If you don’t believe my numbers, confirmation from Sony should help convince you.

Quote from Sony FAQ:

The short answer is that between 5 and 6 ft. is the ideal viewing distance for a 55” or 65” Sony 4K Ultra HD TV. However, on a 55“, you can now sit as close as 3.6 ft and enjoy a visibly smoother and more detailed picture (e.g you won’t see the individual pixels). On a 65“ TV, you can sit as close as 4.2 ft. to appreciate 4K.
Source: Amazon.com product description frequently asked questions for the Sony 65X900A 4k Ultra HDTV

On a 50-inch 1080p HD display, most consumers can begin to distinguish individual pixels only when standing within six feet of the screen. Therefore if your viewing distance is 10 feet or greater, an Ultra HD 50-inch display will likely have little perceived benefit in terms of image clarity and sharpness [source]

there is a difference between the best distance to appreciate a tv versus whether there is a noticeable difference at all from a normal viewing distance. i sit close to my tv anyway, so this optimal distance stuff makes no difference. however, you can't deny that seeing 4k for the first time is jarring. i have no problem if you are saying that to appreciate 4k in all its glory you need to sit closer. however, you can't tell me there is no difference with 1080p after what i saw with my own eyes.

and fyi, i don't care what tricks best buy uses. i've seen true 1080p before. i was shocked when i saw 4k. and really couldn't look back at my tv back home ever again.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Quote from Sony FAQ:

But with the why the 4k disc handles color and frame rates, you'll still see a difference with a 50 inch 4k set along with a slightly crisper image.

Me personally, I'm trying to get a 65" curved set by the end of 2016

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Barney Rubble What about the 4ktv's that upscale the hd content thats out now? I heard they are good at giving the 4k look as well. What you think about this?

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Barney Rubble What about the 4ktv's that upscale the hd content thats out now? I heard they are good at giving the 4k look as well. What you think about this?
It works about as well as 1080p tvs do for upscaling dvds. Some people say they see a huge difference others say they can't see much at all. Again distance from the display and source material are the biggest factors. Honestly, the quality of the tv is more important than the resolution at this point. I would rather have a 1080p OLED display from samsung than a 4k LED tv from a lesser brand. Black levels, color, image processing, etc. are much more important. My pioneer kuro plasma from 2007 is still the gold standard in black level comparisons so newer isn't always better. My advice for displays is do a lot of research and try to see them in a real life environment where you have control of the remote and not in a big box store where they crank up saturation and split one signal between 50 tvs. AVSforum is honestly the best site on the internet for research and professional opinion on this stuff. I always do months of research before buying anything like this, especially when spending multiple thousands of dollars.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Panasonic just previewed 4k OLED tv's at IFA. They claim it will be reference quality since the plasmas are not being built anymore. They say it will be better then plasma, and that's saying something.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Panasonic just previewed 4 OLED tv's at IFA. They claim it will be reference quality since the plasmas are not being built anymore. They say it will be better then plasma, and that's saying something.

I believe them because panasonic bought Pioneer's plasma division, so they know what they are talking about.