4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 to fight streaming media

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Barney Rubble My bad that video was on panasonics led tv's. LG is coming out with 4k oled. Panasonic claims the led's will compete with the plasmas.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Barney Rubble My bad that video was on panasonics led tv's. LG is coming out with 4k oled. Panasonic claims the led's will compete with the plasmas.
Ah ok I was wondering cuz I dont remember panasonic having OLED. I've never been impressed with LG tv's but I'd like to see what they do with OLED. I still think the samsung OLED tv my friend has is the most impressive display I've ever seen.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I mean.. does it really need to get clearer than 1080P? i'm assuming the jump to 4k is a tiny difference compared to the jump from standard definition to 720P

Go to best buy and look at some of the 4K demos. Nice little jump IMO. I'll cop eventually, but that'll be when display prices drop and there's enough 4K movies out.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Ultra HD Blu-ray discs offer an alternative to 4K streaming

By James Vincent on May 13, 2015 04:58 am

Don't give up on physical media just yet. That's the message from the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), which this week announced that it's completed work on the new Ultra HD Blu-ray format. The format offers support for 4K resolutions of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels and "significantly expands" the color range for movies and TV shows. It also allows for the delivery of high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate content (likely up to a maximum of 60fps). Licensing for the new format is scheduled to begin this summer, while consumers can expect backward-compatible Ultra HD Blu-ray players to hit the market towards the end of the year.

6963c1fc477a1383298cd7213d26be44de796daa.0.jpg

The new logo for the Ultra HD Blu-ray format.

The BDA is doing its best to convince people that physical media can still beat digital formats, with the chair of the BDA's promotions committee, Victor Matsuda, praising the new format's "consistent" and "repeatable" movie experiences — qualities that aren't always applicable for films rented over the internet, even if Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon do all offer 4K streaming now. Ultra HD Blu-ray also supports more immersive, "object-based" sound formats (examples of which include Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) and "digital bridge" features that let consumers view content on different devices in the home. As you'd expect, all this extra functionality and resolution requires extra storage, with UHD Blu-ray holding up to 66GB of data on dual-layer discs and 100GB on triple-layer discs. (That's up from 25GB and 50GB on single and dual-layer Blu Ray discs.) You certainly couldn't download all that in a hurry.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/13/8597011/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-format-revealedaàà

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
This the same cat that said PM will be gone by 2009 :mjlol:
It pretty much has been for those on top of these things.

The last MacBook that Apple updated with a DVD drive was 3 years ago. They never even adopted blu ray and are doing just fine.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It pretty much has been for those on top of these things.

The last MacBook that Apple updated with a DVD drive was 3 years ago. They never even adopted blu ray and are doing just fine.
Why the hell does a MacBook need a bluray player? Youre being disingenuous. There is a large difference from watching HD content on a small laptop screen vs a large screen in a home theater setting...
Watching Netflix Super HD is awesome on my projector screen..over a 50mb connection, BUT my local streamed copies of torrented mkvs (usually 15-30gb) look and SOUND a lot better..

Streaming>>>blu rays in 2015
Only when convenience > quality
Where quality is concerned physical media will be king for quite some time

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
Only when convenience > quality
Where quality is concerned physical media will be king for quite some time

Im not film buff or anything but hd streams look pretty damn good to me. For the majority of people the quality difference is negligible if u can even notice one.